After reviewing the unit materials and completing the assessments, post and respond to the following topics on the course discussion board. Feel free to start your own related posts and respond to other students' posts as well.
- Apply functionalist, conflict theory, and interactionist perspectives to social stratification. How are they different? Which one do YOU think is most beneficial when studying social stratification? Why?
- Explain the differences between stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination. Provide examples for each.
- Due to the current racial stratification in the U.S., how might race or ethnicity affect access to valuable resources like education or health care?
- What is the difference between sex and gender? How, as sociologists, might we explain the social construction of gender?
- Discuss various attitudes associated with sex and sexuality. How have these attitudes changed over the past several decades? Have we reached a point of equality? Provide some examples to support your argument.
- Regarding the elderly population in America, what are some special concerns this population is facing?
- What are the differences between the biological, social, and psychological changes associated with the aging process?