Read this chapter for a review of socialization. As you read each section, consider the following topics:
- Take note of the definition of socialization. Can you think of factors (or people) that have influenced your socialized self?
- Take note of the main differences between the psychological and sociological theories of development.
- Focus on the nature vs. nurture section, taking note of the different skills that are innate and those that are learned. Pay close attention to the section about Chris Langan.
- Take note of the various agents for socialization, including family, peers, institutions, schools, work, religion, government, and media.
- Take note of resocialization and how it differs from socialization.