Read this chapter for a review of government and politics. As you read each section, consider the following topics:
- After reading about Prince William and Kate, make a list of how their political power differs from that of the President of the United States.
- Take note of the differences between power and authority. Identify and describe, on a separate piece of paper, the three types of authority.
- Take note of the common forms of government, including monarchy, oligarchy, dictatorship, and democracy. Cite examples of each.
- Take note of the significance of "one person, one vote” in determining American policy. How does voter participation affect politics in the United States? Explore the influence of race, gender, and class issues on the voting process.
- Focus on how functionalists, conflict theorists, and interactionists view government and politics.