Discussion: The Future of Management

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: The Future of Management

Number of replies: 15
Reflect on the article that you have just read about the future of management.
  • Is there a balance of management styles being used in your workplace?

• Are older methods being implemented, or are newer methods being embraced?

Share your thoughts on these questions below. This is a good opportunity for you to respond to what others have written and to ask for feedback on your own contribution to the discussion.

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: The Future of Management

by Marniella Escoto -
As for the workplace here where I am in right now, I think it does not have a balance management styles.

New methods are being implemented and embraced as our environment/world changes rapidly. It is a good sign that even if it's not balanced in terms of management styles atleast they are embracing the new methods in management that can benefit the both side; owner and employees.
In reply to First post

by PCPT TALE ARTURO -
In the police force, a mix of management styles exists, so it's not balanced. It leans toward older, more traditional methods mixed with newer approaches to modern challenges.

We're continuing to navigate a transition phase, balancing the effectiveness of traditional methods and the necessity to adapt to societal changes, technological advancements, and evolving community needs. However, due to ingrained organizational cultures and bureaucratic structures, the whole force might need time to adjust to long-standing practices.
In reply to First post

by Niaz Balouch -

As for the workplace here where I am in right now, I think it does not have a balance management styles.

New methods are being implemented and embraced as our environment/world changes rapidly. It is a good sign that even if it's not balanced in terms of management styles atleast they are embracing the new methods in management that can benefit the both side; owner and employees.

In reply to First post

by Andita Nara Purwadinata -
At my workplace, there is a balance between traditional and modern management styles. Some older methods are still in use, while newer approaches are also embraced. This balance depends on the industry, organizational culture, and leadership philosophy.
In reply to First post

by ISAAC DORKEY -
The company I work for is over 100 years old. It started as an appendage of the government machinery. Some policies have seen some changes. The changes were a reflection of the type of leadership style of the CEO at different times of the journey of the company. One important innovation is the extended management model. Extended management model allows workers representatives attend management meetings, make direct inputs and contribute to shaping the strategic direction of the company. This has created a sense of organizational citizenship behaviors among staff.
In reply to First post

by Joel Duque -
1. Is there a balance of management styles being used in your workplace?
Our workplace has undergone a noticeable shift towards incorporating a more diverse range of management styles. This transformation is particularly evident with the recent retirement of our previous supervisor, who adhered to an authoritarian approach. The void created by their departure has paved the way for the integration of newer, more collaborative management styles.

2. Are older methods being implemented, or are newer methods being embraced?
In our evolving work environment, there is a clear emphasis on embracing contemporary management methodologies. The departure of our former supervisor, who adhered to more traditional approaches, has catalyzed the implementation of newer methods. The focus now lies on fostering a culture of meritocracy, instilling accountability, and encouraging open collaboration among team members.
In reply to First post

by Rehan Ullah -
In many modern workplaces, there is indeed a push towards embracing newer management methods that are more adaptable, inclusive, and focused on collaboration and employee empowerment. These newer methods often include agile management, servant leadership, and a focus on emotional intelligence and empathy in leadership roles.

However, it's important to note that older management styles have not completely disappeared. Elements of traditional hierarchical management, command and control structures, and top-down decision-making can still be found in various organizations. These older methods may be deeply ingrained in the company culture or retained for specific reasons, such as in industries with strict regulatory requirements or in organizations undergoing gradual cultural shifts.

Achieving a balance between old and new management styles is often a matter of context and organizational culture. Some companies may find success in blending elements of both, leveraging the strengths of traditional methods while incorporating newer approaches to adapt to changing business environments and employee expectations.

Personally, I believe that a balanced approach that integrates the best of both old and new management styles can lead to a more effective and resilient organization. It allows for flexibility, innovation, and continuous improvement while also providing stability, structure, and clarity in decision-making processes. Finding this balance requires ongoing reflection, openness to change, and a willingness to learn from both successes and failures.

I would be interested to hear from others about their experiences and perspectives on management styles in our workplace. How do you see the balance between older and newer methods? What challenges or opportunities have you encountered in this regard?
In reply to First post

by Elsa Casupanan -
Balance of Management Styles

The article emphasizes the importance of management innovation and moving away from purely control-oriented styles. An ideal situation might involve a balance between different approaches:

Traditional methods: Clear structures, delegation, performance evaluation can still be important for providing direction and accountability.
Newer methods: A focus on flexibility, collaboration, employee well-being, and data-driven decision making can help teams adapt, be more innovative, and attract top talent.
Newer vs. Older Methods

The article suggests that some older methods focused on control and efficiency might not be sufficient for the future. This doesn't necessarily mean throwing out all traditional methods, but rather adapting them and incorporating newer approaches that emphasize:

Employee engagement: Seeing their ideas valued and having a say in how things are done can motivate employees and lead to better results.
Adaptability: The business world is constantly changing, and companies need to be flexible to respond to new challenges and opportunities.
Data-driven decision making: Using data and analytics can provide valuable insights to inform strategies and decision making.
Considering Your Workplace

If you'd like to share some details about your workplace, I can help you brainstorm how some of these concepts might apply. For instance, are there opportunities to be more flexible in work schedules or project approaches? Are there ways to encourage employees to share ideas more openly?

I can also find some articles or resources on specific management styles or trends that might be relevant to your situation.

Gemini may displa
In reply to First post

by Franklin Cafirma -
Yes, there is a balance of management styles used in workplace. old methods and new methods are being practiced
In reply to First post

by John Christian Cea -
Yes there are balance in our workplace. And the older method are implementing because it's a traditional and people knows it more than the new ones
In reply to John Christian Cea

by Diane Cardinosa -
Yes there are balance in our workplace, the balance of management styles in an workplace will depend on the organization's values, goals, and the needs of the projects being undertaken. The focused on embracing are the newer methods.
In reply to First post

by Jennifer Gaouette -
My company has a variety of methods being used, and it often causes some discord between departments and between levels.
I would love to see more collaboration between upper management (higher than program directors) and lower level management and case managers.
We are often told new methods are being introduced, but nothing actually seems to change and the excuse that 'some' of our employees want it that way is often used. When actually speaking to the employees, however, it is clear there are 5-10 employees whose opinion is taken more seriously.

My company has many good parts too - my program specifically operates well with a lot of communication between levels and diplomatic leadership
In reply to First post

by Andrew Miller -
In many workplaces, there's often a mix of management styles being used, reflecting a variety of factors such as organizational culture, leadership philosophy, industry norms, and the preferences and skills of individual managers.

Older management methods, such as hierarchical structures and command-and-control approaches, may still be present in some organizations, especially those with long-standing traditions or resistance to change. These methods can provide stability and clarity in certain contexts but may also hinder innovation and employee engagement.

On the other hand, newer management methods, such as agile, servant leadership, and flat organizational structures, are increasingly being embraced by forward-thinking companies. These approaches prioritize flexibility, collaboration, and employee empowerment, aligning well with the demands of today's rapidly changing business environment and the expectations of younger generations entering the workforce.

Finding the right balance between traditional and modern management styles often depends on factors such as the nature of the industry, the organization's goals, and the preferences of employees and leaders. Many companies are experimenting with hybrid approaches, incorporating elements of both traditional and modern management to create a unique blend that suits their needs and culture.

Ultimately, the most successful organizations are those that remain open to evolving their management practices in response to changing circumstances, market dynamics, and employee expectations.
In reply to First post

by Muzamil zaman -
Yes there are balance in our workplace. And the older method are implementing because it's a traditional and people knows it more than the new ones
In reply to First post

by Victor Olaitan -
At my office there is a balance between traditional and more contemporary management styles. Being a diplomatic organization there is a certain regard for traditional. However it is also recognized and understood that a more modern, innovative approach is necessary to keep up with the demands of the current work climate