Discussion: Unit 1

Make forum posts: 1

Unit 1 Discussion

Number of replies: 52

What sort of customer service job might you like to find? Would you prefer working in a face-to-face situation, or through a remote customer service center? What industry would you like to work in?

Describe an interaction you've been involved with - either personal or professional. What steps did you take to make a favorable impression? How might you use the lessons from this unit to make even better impressions?

As a customer, what needs and wants do you hope to have fulfilled by customer service providers? Do they match those covered in this unit?

In reply to First post

Re: Unit 1 Discussion

by Michael Bernardi -

I would personally prefer to find a customer service job that is face-to-face. Currently, I work as a server at an Italian restaurant and find myself more comfortable in an in-person setting than over the phone. If I had to pick an industry, I'd try to find somewhere in the restaurant business. 

I've had plenty of interactions working in an environment where I've had to provide customer service to people. One example was when one of my tables had to wait forty-five minutes for their food because unfortunately, the kitchen had made a mistake so we offered to pay for their meal and also offered them a dessert to help hopefully help keep them coming back as a customer In the future.

I would hope that if I talked to a customer service provider about an issue I've had or was having, they would help resolve it in a respectful and considerate manner but also guide me in the right direction in getting my problem solved.

In reply to Michael Bernardi

by Soukaina Farhoun -
I like your answer. It sounds like you thrive in face-to-face customer service roles, especially in the restaurant industry where you're currently working as a server. Your experience handling difficult situations, like when a table had to wait for their food, demonstrates your commitment to customer satisfaction. It's clear you value respectful and considerate interactions, both as a customer and as a service provider.
In reply to First post

by Sheneze English -

I am currently employed in the consumer banking department in the banking sector. I have been a bank employee for almost 19 years.

It is challenging not to take what customers say personally but it is the way you ensure that you are always doing what is right for the customer at all times. 

As a customer, I love feeling as though my needs are met and receiving the best service/product. I also love to feel appreciated as a customer. 

In reply to First post

by Samantha Tait -

I would prefer to work in a face to face situation because I feel that people can be nicer to you verses over the phone, and sitting on a computer all day with out have actual interactions with people seems boring to me. As of right now I work at an orthodontist office so I am used to working with people directly and it is fun most of the time, obviously there are bad days but overall it is not bad! 

I coach a cheerleading team and at practice one of the girls was complaining her back hurt when she was doing a skill in the routine. At the end of practice it gets crazy trying to make sure all of the girls get to their parents car and are getting where they need to go. I did not have time to talk to the girls mom in person to explain what her daughter was telling me about her pain. I messaged the mom instead and filled her in on everything. Her mom was understanding and thankful I reached out but I think it would have made a better impression to talk to the mom in person to help build the relationship between parent and coach and to give more helpful information on stretches or other things she could try to attempt to make it better before seeing a doctor. 

As a customer I would hope to have a customer service provider be nice and also helpful. If they are unsure of how to help me I would want them to direct me to someone who could. 

In reply to First post

by GRAIL APIABSEH -
I would like to work as an IT technician where I have a vis a vis interaction with my customers. I prefer working in an IT industry. Well, I remember working in a cloud computing firm, where I was to receive calls from a lot of diverse customers . I remember one of my conversations I'd with a very ill-mannered customer; I was explaining a solution to a problem he'd posed about how to get to uploaded or backup files.  It wasn't an easy task; due to his impatience, hot- tempered and verbally insulting,  I couldn't bear it, so, I dropped the call;  vowing  never to answer his call again! Notwithstanding his negative attitude, I still didn't feel inclined to exhibit any of my positive attitudes- cause I foresaw it would be actually a waste of time!   Thanks to this unit, I can add to what I have for better enhancement of my aptitudes in making  favorable impressions.  In spite of the customer's sluggishness in communicating or hot-temper or any other abhorrent behaviour, a CSW(s)  must apply his golden standards  which are: and apology, patience.....etc. And also,  most importantly, the three  goldens- listen,  empathise and take charge. As a customer, I would like the CSWs to:  listen, empathise and take charge ;  hand the control over to me or we can cooperate together for the better efficiency of the  solution to a problem. 
Attachment Customer service training session at work - illustration - 51923775438.jpg
Tags:
In reply to GRAIL APIABSEH

by Samson Ndhlovu -

Executive customer service where am attending to clients via phone calls.

A remote customer service centre would definitely make an enjoyable task for me.A microfinance finance company like a lending institution what am currently with for and would make a great deal working in the customer service department.

For the past two years have been working in transport and logistic industry were I was specifically using a motorcycle for errands. Before pickups and drop off,phone calls are always used and this has surely being facilitating the interactiona with clients. An introduction of who I was,where I was calling them from and what I was calling for made a good impression and eased my task.

The use of paralanguage while communicating with clients on phone calls would make a plus as they would be assured that am attentively listening and progressing on the same pace with them.

In reply to Samson Ndhlovu

by Soukaina Farhoun -
you have a strong preference for customer service roles, particularly in an executive capacity over phone calls. Transitioning to a remote customer service center, especially in the microfinance industry, aligns well with your current experience and interests. Your background in the transport and logistics industry, where phone calls were essential for client interactions, demonstrates your adeptness at remote communication. Utilizing paralanguage in phone conversations adds a personal touch, ensuring clients feel heard and valued throughout their interactions with you.
In reply to First post

by Hailekiros Abera -
I would like to work as a customer service representative in a Bank. Yes, I like to work in a face-to-face environment,
and the banking industry is a right fit for me.

As a college instructor, I deal with students face-to-face, and it is important to come across pleasant, and understanding.

The lesson I learned from this unit is to be a good listener, respectful, and address my students needs in a timely manner.
In reply to First post

by Heather Barker -
I have been in customer service in some form my whole working life. I would like to find an online, remote customer service job now. I have worked in many industries, but currently, I work in a restaurant as a cook just one day a week. I am unsure what industry I want to do customer service for. Possibly banking, finance, or tax because that was my previous working life. After working for the last three years in the restaurant industry, I would not mind doing customer service for a food company or website.
An interaction I had when I first started cooking was when a customer complained about a cold item on their plate. I went out of the kitchen and offered to make the item over and bring it for dine it or takeout , or give a discount on the meal. The customer felt the need to yell at me in front of the whole restaurant instead of taking either of the solutions offered. After going through this unit, I think I handled it pretty well as I did not react to her yelling at me. I stood and listened to her yelling and while trying to keep my face and body neutral then offered the solutions and when she refused and stormed away I did not react to her after that.
As a customer, I would hope to be heard and acknowledged by the person helping me find a solution. I think there is a lot of information that could be applicable to many situations in this unit and hope to be able to remember some of them in my next customer service role.
In reply to First post

by Avigaile Tabor -

I would personally prefer a face-to-face customer service job. I was a call center agent before but this time, I would like to try working in a restaurant setting. 

The usual interactions with customers in call centers happen through phone calls. One customer called because she was frustrated that she was on hold for over an hour when she only wanted to settle her payment in full. Other representatives she talked to want her to have a payment arrangement instead. First, I apologized for the inconvenience she has experienced and informed her that I will report what happened to our escalations department. Then I assured her that I can help her with her concern. It only took us less than 3 minutes to settle her bill and that's it, she felt happier than when I started talking to her. 

The lessons in this unit are great foundation for those who want to pursue a customer service provider. It can be a challenge but it can be done.

As a customer, i just want to feel taken care of. I don't want too much interactions that are already unnecessary to my concern.

In reply to First post

by Ebony Gregory -
The kind of customer service I would to find is in clerical. I prefer working face to face. I would like to work in Higher Education industry. At my current job I have to interact with faculty, staff and students. Today I had an phone call from a panicked faculty member saying a student will lose their financial aid if they can't register for another class. I listened and then reiterated to the faculty member her concern, then assured her in a calm tone that I would try my best to be helpful the student. I could use paralanguage (especially on the phone) to assure people that I am listening, if in person I can mimic their tone and body language and maintain cultural appropriate eye contact. As a customer the needs I hope to have fulfilled is speedy and courteous service.
In reply to First post

by Churchill Eze -

1. I would prefer to work in the finance industry, specifically in customer service positions that handle client requests and assist with customer-related processes. 
  2. In my encounters, the ideal actions to take would have been to apply sympathy and patience. To make a better impression in my personal or professional encounters, I will have to implement all the required steps to ensure the satisfaction of the customer/listener. If their requests are not met, they should at least feel hopeful due to useful recommendations.
  3.  As a customer, I would want to be treated with respect and given proper guidance if I experience any problems with my purchase. Yes, my wants/needs as a customer match those covered in the unit.

In reply to First post

by FAICAL ABASSISSE -
If I were seeking a customer service job, I'd prefer a role where I can leverage my communication skills, whether it's face-to-face or in a remote customer service center. I'm adaptable to different industries and can draw on a positive interaction, emphasizing active listening and problem-solving skills. As a customer, I value prompt and effective resolutions, aligning with the principles covered in this unit.
In reply to FAICAL ABASSISSE

by Agidi Oghenetejiri Odiphri -
If I were seeking a customer service job, I'd prefer a role where I can leverage my communication skills, whether it's face-to-face or in a remote customer service center. I'm adaptable to different industries and can draw on a positive interaction, emphasizing active listening and problem-solving skills. As a customer, I value prompt and effective resolutions, aligning with the principles covered in this unit.
In reply to First post

by Adeola Iyiola -

I would like to work as a Customer service representative in any administration that require a customer representative. I would prefer a face to face job so as to express myself verbally and nonverbal communication in other to give more detailed explanation on the services rendered.

I've had an interaction with a customer service worker in which she showed a bad attitude even though I was so much interested in it, also some wrong words which triggered me not to have interest in it again, not convinced enough on how the service rendering can benefit me in whatever way.

As a customer, I would hope to have a customer service provider to be a great speaker who can give detailed explanation on how the service rendering can benefit me, maintain a good relationship with me.

In reply to First post

by achut adhikari -

The right service is face to face for myself. This helps me to know about the situation of the complexity and helps me to find out the probable solution as well as feedback quickly to improvise for my self as well.

I am currently joining the consultancy field for abroad studies and lastly i found my self to be stucked in the between in terms of lesser knowledge which lead to ackward situation. Then I quickly utilized my topic changeing ability and in between I searched the the answer and deliver it and handled the situation with comfortably and when I get to know the feedback very satisfactory, I was really happy.

Some times customer wants the more deeper information for that the CSW needs to be prepared as the timely. So the higher management should provide enough training and and timely change according to the demand of the market.

In reply to First post

by Goodness Goodnews -
I would prefer to work through a remote customer service centre. Service industry would be of preference, for example Banking.
I worked as a customer service officer on a face-to- face basis for 7 years. I severally met agitated and unsatisfied customers. In many cases I had to listen , empathise and tried my best to solve the problem. My customers were satisfied, even when I couldn't solve their issues. I have learnt to become a better presenter by learning the steps.
I appreciate it when service providers give feedback. They do not really match.
In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
I prefer working in a face - to - face - environment. Because it’s easier to for me that to help someone through remote. As far as what type of industry I would like to work in, I would want to work at either an office job, other places nearby me that I know that I can work on my customer service skills, or a fast food place.

When I lived in Missouri I worked at Pickleman’s Gourmet Cafe, which is just a sandwich shop. Often times a customer would come up to tell us if their order was wrong and we apologized to them, about their order being wrong, and we made sure that the order was correct the second time that we made it.

As a customer, I like it when people are helpful and nice to me.
In reply to First post

by Agape C. Bright -

I would prefer a remote customer service center. A service providing industry that requires not necessarily face-to-face customer care service to a consumer.

Working as a merchandizer in a superstore, I came across a customer who was unsure of which brand to purchase and asked for advice, so I tried finding out what satisfaction he expected derive from the product he wanted to purchase, after that, we were able to settle for a particular brand which gives the satisfaction he wanted.

As a customer, if service providers can be able to explicitly explain what a product or service is for and about, that will be good. And this is covered in this unit

In reply to First post

by MARY EFEH -

I would like to work as a customer service in any industry that seeks for a customer service representative. 

Yes I like to work in a face-to face environment and working in a food company is a right pick for me. 

I’ve had many interactions and one of them was when a first time customer place an order of about three different perfumes (currently I own a perfume store) from me and after making payment I made the delivery to his office, later in the evening he called to let me know that one out of the perfumes is broken (that was an accident caused by him) I empathize with him over the phone and how I make a favorable impression was I went to his office two days after and gave him the exact perfume…..just to retain him and add him to my existing customers list and ever since then,he’s been purchasing from me till date.  

As a customer I would like to hear that my needs are met, I hope to have a customer service that is nice and respectful 

In reply to First post

by HEAVENLY APIABSEH -
1] A chef 👩‍🍳 would be more like it, and I'd prefer working in a face-to-face situation. An industry which produces appliances such as phones, computers, laptops, Tvs etc. would also be more like it. 2] When communicating towards my parents, friends ,and people of status, I strive at a normal tone, good speech rate, not talking bluntly or rudly; otherwise it may result in a negative reaction. Added to what I've learnt from this unit, it could help me for better enhancement- maintenance of good speech rate, eye contact, using paralanguage, and open gestures, etc. 3] As a customer, I'd want to be treated fairly by CSWs, not harshly or abrasively; and their status shouldn't give them the audacity to misuse it towards their customers - rather they should be objective not subjective.
In reply to First post

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to First post

by bright uka -
I will like to work with face to face because it seems like that is when I feel i work better my work, my clients need to be convinced before enrolling in my company
In reply to First post

by Ahmed Shah -
I would like to find a customer service job in a call center or a sales team. I would prefer working through a remote customer service center. I would like to work in an automobile industry.
I used to work for an insurance company. Their were many clients that faced problems in their claims. Therefore i helped them to make a favorable impression.
As a customer, i expect the customer service providers to help me solve my issue that i have been facing about a product/service.
In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
I would prefer a face to face job. I want to either go into food service or hospitality.

An interaction I’ve been involved with was when I worked at a sandwich shop. It was a very fast paced environment. But I efficiently helped to make sandwiches and pizzas.
In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
I would prefer working in a face to face environment.

When I worked at a sandwich shop it was a very fast paced environment and I made sure to make everyone’s sandwich correctly, and made sure to always be polite to the customers.

As I customer, I hope to have my needs and wants fulfilled by customer service providers. I expect them to be helpful.
In reply to First post

by Amr Hanafy Abd Elmaged Saleh Abu-zeid -
-I prefer working face to face and also through the customer service center...and I also prefer working in the field of shipping and customs clearance.
-Regarding the interaction in which you participated, it is a field of work in which there is a lot of pressure, and therefore you must reassure the customer through a brief description of the course of service that he will receive.
-The lessons learned are how to deal and interact with customers with different personalities.
-As a customer, I need to deal with customer service providers who understand the type of service I want and have confidence that I will simply get it without complications.
In reply to First post

by Lucky Okogun -
I would love a customer service job that is remote. I would like to work in the finance industry. I've had interactions with customers while I worked in a water factory. Customers had issues receiving their orders and I had to step up the dissemination of information to workers on the field. Now I've learnt that the utmost responsibility of a CSW is to solve problems, however it can be done. I would hope to be attended to by customer service representative promptly.
In reply to First post

by Kenisha Green -
I would like to find a customer service advisor job. I would prefer to work in a face to remote customer service center. I would like to work in the Real Estate industry.

An interaction I've been involve in would be replying to customers emails from my business. I provided a resolution and also a kind bond between the customer and I. A lesson I might use from this unit to make a better impression is better problem solving when it comes to angry customers.

I would want hope that customer service providers become more flexible with things they can help with.
In reply to First post

by Daniela Carrillo -
I would personally prefer to find a customer service job remotely, as it makes me more comfortable, and if I had to choose an industry it would be within the reception area for dental offices as with my knowledge of dentistry I can be of great help to both the company and the customers.
I had an interaction giving a speech about my personal experience working in public health services, in an auditorium full of university students. To give a favorable impression I used humor to capture the audience's attention.

As a client, I would like to feel listened to, and they give priority to my problem and do their best to find a solution.

In reply to First post

by Phillimon Nkhoma -

1. I would Love to work for an electronic company preferably face to face where I can real time customer interaction
  2. Primarily the  ideal actions to take would have been to apply sympathy and patience. I will have to implement all the required steps to ensure the satisfaction of the customer. If their requests are not met, they should at least feel hopeful due to useful recommendations on the gadgets.
  3.  As a customer, I would want to be treated with respect and given proper guidance if I experience any problems with my purchase.
In reply to First post

by Oyedoyin Oladapo -
I will like to work as a customer service in a remote customer service center either communication industry or real estate or financial institution.

I have in a professional interaction where l was asked the reasons l prefer to become an expert in the field. I stated my passion more than qualities and duties of a
professional customer representative.
From what l learnt in this unit lesson, l will explain who l am, what l have done, that's experience in the field, what l can offer to fit for best candidate, and a  short story can be illustrated to convince them that l know my onions.

Lastly, as customer care representative, the needs and wants l hope to offer which has been fulfilled in this lesson is that l need to avoid excessive attention which can be offensive to some customers. Customers action should be studied through their conversation and the actions should be adopted based on their interaction peculiarity.
In reply to First post

by Virginia Michael -
I have worked as a Customer service/sales representative in a face to face situation and via live chat for over 10 years but I would prefer to work as a customer service representative in a remote customer service center. I am currently employed as a Customer service representative in a Telecom company and I understand that some angry customer can be so annoying and they can easily pour all their anger on a customer service worker but I really do not take their words personally because I have to put myself in the customer situation so what I do most times is to empathize with them because customer satisfaction is my number one priority. Thanks to this unit, I love the three goldens- listen, empathize and take action. As a customer, I would like the CSWs to help resolve my query in a respectful and timely manner.
In reply to First post

by Rebecca Mills -

I would love to work in an office where I can either work on paperwork or call to help someone. The industry I would work in is business. A customer once asked me about the price of whiting which is a slap of fish that my work sells. The whiting is price at $34 and $119 for a case. When I had explained this to the customer she seemed to be confused as for the pricing and I try to explain it again to her she seems to not believe me for whatever reason. So, to make sure the customer had a more truthful answer I directed them to my manager who explain the same thing as I did, and She seem to understand my manger more than when I told her. As a customer I expect from customer service a somewhat happy and understanding customer service. This comes from me working as a cashier. Also, I can understand other people in their jobs because I have been there. 

In reply to First post

by Britney Taylor -
Given the experience I have with the public, I would find myself best suited to a face-to-face customer service job. In my opinion, being able to see the customer gives me a better and clearer understanding of their wants and needs. At the moment, I work as a beauty consultant at a Merle Norman cosmetology store, and previously, I worked as a waitress at a multi-cuisine restaurant. At the cosmetology store, I see several customers a day- some knowing exactly what they need and some need me to help them find what they are looking for. I could not possibly imagine it being easier to help them over the phone for example. When I worked as a waitress, I had to learn to multitask while keeping the customers satisfied and making them feel as if they had my undivided attention. Like working at the cosmetology store, I could not imagine having some sort of barrier between me and the customer. For me, verbal and nonverbal communication is needed for me to perform my best. When you have any sort of barrier, that nonverbal communication can be lost. Personally, even though it was a very busy job, I enjoyed serving the public as a waitress the most.
As a beauty consultant for Merle Norman (a brand typically used by women fifty years and older), I sometimes have customers who cannot hear quite as well or see as clearly as others. As we read in this unit, patience is needed when helping those types of customers. I may have a customer who has hearing aids and I may have to repeat myself a couple of times. We read in this unit that when dealing with customers who are hard of hearing, we need to speak slowly, clearly, and slightly louder, all while watching their nonverbal communication like wincing or pulling away. If I notice either of those, I take it as a sign that I may have spoken too loudly. Those are the steps I use when helping a customer with her needs and wants. I hope that by listening carefully and helping the customers find exactly what they want and need, they will become loyal customers.
As a customer, I usually do not spend much time browsing- I am one of those customers who knows what they're going in for, beelines to the product and gets out as soon as possible. It is important, though, as a CSW, to read your customers because they may or may not want very much help. I don't mind the occasional, "Hi, do you need help finding anything?" but like the book said, if a CSW continues to ask me multiple times, it can get a little annoying. Other times, even though I know what I am going into the store to get, I may not be able to find it, so I may need help. Again, that is why, as this unit said, we as the CSWs need to read the customer to see if they need help or not. This unit also did a good job covering wants and needs. My job as a beauty consultant includes color-matching people with the makeup that best matches their skin tone. However, there are many different types of makeup- types for dry skin, oily skin, wrinkles, types that go on shiny, matte, etc. So, understanding the wants and needs of the customer is very important for me to do. This unit did a good job covering that.
In reply to First post

by amy nunez -
I would prefer working in a face-to-face customer service center. I do think you show your emotions and the way you're truly helping a customer by being present. Customers can see how you care to have their problems solved and you can show empathy face-to-face.

I had a personal experience where I had to call several times to get a hold on someone through the phone. That can be very frustrating and exhausted to try to get someone on the line and then have to deal with getting your problem solved on the phone. When getting helped face-to-face the processing can be faster and become less frustrating.

As a customer, I do think I need understanding, actions, and concern from a customer service provider. The customer service provider should want my problem fixed as much as I do and must help me relieve that stress and frustration with their help.
In reply to First post

by Ambrasha Mask -
The customer service job I would like to find would be working as a receptionist, front desk clerk, or call center representative. My above job choices make it clear that I would work in either a face-to-face situation or through a remote customer service center. I would like to work in an industry that allows me to be a professional working in operations.

An example of a professional interaction I was involved with was an inbound call I received from a very angry and frustrated customer threatening to cancel his account. The customer was yelling so my first step was to ensure him that I was there to help and that I understood his frustration. I had to do some research between online forums and leads to help better understand the particulars of the company’s services, products, and the options I would be able to present to the customer. I wanted to ensure that I understood the needs and problems and that he felt that I shared his concerns, so I was clear and specific when asking questions and making suggestions. By the end of the call, he was laughing and leaving a customer service review that led to me receiving a nice Christmas bonus. I can use the lessons from this unit to make even better impressions in several ways: First, I can use the communication skillsets in the course to engage sensitive listening and speaking skills to accurately assess and respond to a customer’s questions and needs. Next, I can use the problem-solving skillsets learned to analyze problems, research answers, and help customers implement solutions. Last, I can use the customer service skillsets to handle questions and problems with a friendly and professional demeanor. This set of skills will also help me remember that customers come from many different backgrounds, maybe frustrated and confused, and maybe angry and difficult. As a CSW I must remain patient, understanding, sympathetic, and polite. My goal is to create a positive relationship, help resolve the problem at hand, and represent the company well to help ensure good ongoing business standing.

As a customer my needs and wants I hope to have fulfilled by customer service providers are summed up in our online text and match those covered in this unit. The section, "Serving a Customer’s Needs and Wants", states it is up to you as a CSW to: Understand the needs of your customers. Understand the particulars of your company’s services or products, and Understand the options you may be able to present to your customer. Maintain focus on what you can do for your customer (rather than what you are not able to). Assume ownership of the customer’s needs or problems. Be clear and specific as you ask questions and make suggestions. Offer a clear resolution to the problem. Keep the interaction cordial and respectful. Make sure your customers feel respected and appreciated for bringing their business to you.
In reply to First post

by Soukaina Farhoun -
I'm drawn to customer service roles, and I envision myself excelling in a remote customer service center, particularly in the microfinance industry, which aligns with my current experience. One memorable interaction I had was in the logistics industry, where I efficiently communicated with clients over the phone. I ensured to introduce myself clearly, state my purpose, and maintain a professional demeanor, which left a positive impression. Reflecting on this, I recognize the importance of paralanguage in conveying attentiveness to clients, a lesson reinforced in this unit. As a customer, I seek respectful and considerate assistance, which aligns with the principles covered in this unit, emphasizing the importance of meeting customer needs promptly and courteously.
In reply to First post

by Gift Chisani -

Been working as a till operator at a supper market for 5years now. Faced real life situations discussed in this course. I learnt about G.U.E.S.T which has been so helpful at my workplace. 

G=Greet every customer that enter the store with a friendly smile

U=Uniform must be neat all the time

E=Engage in a conversation with the customer to tell them more about our products and services and how we may help the customer

S=Sell to the customer

T=Thank the customer for choosing our store and tell them to call again

In reply to First post

by Stephen Obiri-Ibe -
The customer service job I would like to find would be as a customer service manager, customer service representative, or a call center representative. These jobs require me to work either face-to face or remotely which I don’t mind. I would want to work in an industry that allows for professional advancement in my career.

I once had this ordeal with a customer. It was an inbound call and immediately I picked up, she started lashing out at the company for being incompetent. Apparently, “the order she raised was different from what was delivered”. I had to first calm her down and apologize for the inconveniences while reassuring her that we could work things out to ensure she is satisfied. I proceeded to ask for her details and checked the order only to see that the fault was from her and not the company, so I informed her that the fault was from her end and not hers as we delivered the exact orders specified and she was quiet for some seconds. Next, she said it was a mistake from her P.A because she asked her P.A to make the order. I still apologized for the inconveniences, and she apologized as well. I think I can use the customer service skillsets to resolve issues in the nicest way as I must show empathy, be patient and understanding enough to resolve the issues of the customers and create a positive relationship with them which represents the company in a good way.

As a customer, I would want to be given prompt responses, satisfactory resolve of issues, and considerate assistance while being treated respectfully by customer care providers. This aligns with the principles emphasized in the unit “Understanding customers’ needs and wants”.
In reply to First post

by Bryan Jacobs -
I am would love to work remotely as a virtual assistant offering IT support.

I currently have no customer service experience so I cannot share an interaction. However, these lessons will definitely equip me to make lasting impressions on customers. From being empathetic and giving customers my full attention when speaking. I believe these factors will make an impact on my future customers and create a positive reputation for my company.

My needs and wants would be patience, kindness, respect, empathy and solutions to my problems. Which is all covered in this unit.
In reply to First post

by Zaharadeen Yakubu -
I would like a customer service job under communication sector either working with a telecommunications company or a messaging platform. I prefer working through a remote customer service center than a face to face. I have been in a conversation with a client where I have to calm him down because the product he received was faulty and he was pissed and calling for refund but in other to retain the customer I have to give him a discount and also provide him with incentive on his next order. With what I have learned here I can say that I can now confidently handle a customer efficiently and more friendly than before.
As a customer I will like my problem solved as soon as possible and also get a follow up call on how I find the service after my problem was resolved
In reply to First post

by etsegenet_ abeje -
Well, In Food Industry.. I Would Like to Create, Produce and Deliver Food Products to Consumers Through Better and Unforgettable Service's to Attract Them Again, and I Would Prefer Interact with My Customers in Face to Face Situations to See Practically How They React, Response for My Service and to Transfer the +ve Energies Physically Through My Service.

There are so Many Customers with Different Educational, Social Background, Some of Them Teaches you Unforgettable lesson. When you give them a little they give you so Much More Lesson and Experiences and You Receive Double of What You Give.

I wonder that all CS providers have willing to do everything customer wants and being optimist for everything.
In reply to First post

by Shiela Maree Pino -
I think I'd enjoy a customer service job where I can help people in a meaningful way, whether it's assisting them with technical issues, answering questions about products or services, or resolving any concerns they might have. I'm comfortable with both face-to-face interactions and remote customer service, but I appreciate the convenience and flexibility that remote work offers. In terms of industry, I'm open to various options, but I have a particular interest in technology or e-commerce companies where I can learn and grow professionally.

An interaction I've had involved assisting a customer who was frustrated with a technical issue they were experiencing with their software. To make a favorable impression, I first listened attentively to understand their problem completely. Then, I empathized with their frustration and assured them that I would do everything in my power to help resolve the issue. I asked clarifying questions to gather more information about their situation and provided clear and concise instructions to troubleshoot the problem together. Throughout the interaction, I remained patient, polite, and professional, ensuring that the customer felt valued and supported.

To make even better impressions in future interactions, I could apply the lessons from this unit by actively practicing empathy and understanding the customer's perspective. I would continue to hone my communication skills, ensuring that I convey information clearly and effectively. Additionally, I would strive to anticipate the customer's needs and proactively address any concerns they might have, demonstrating a commitment to excellent customer service.

As a customer, I hope to have my needs and wants fulfilled by customer service providers through prompt and efficient assistance, personalized support, and genuine empathy for my situation. These needs and wants align closely with the principles covered in this unit, such as active listening, problem-solving skills, and a customer-centric approach to service delivery. By focusing on these aspects, customer service providers can create positive experiences for customers and foster long-term loyalty and satisfaction.
In reply to First post

by Bayode Yejide Oluwafunmilola -
I'm interested in a customer service role that allows me to work primarily remotely, with occasional face-to-face interactions with customers. My preferred industry is healthcare, but I am also open to exploring other industries where I can learn and grow.

My experience so far includes working on-site as a customer service representative at a manufacturing company that produces herbal medicines. Some customers prefer to pick up their products in person, and I always strive to make their visit exceptional. I treat each customer as royalty because I believe that the customer is king. One memorable interaction involved a customer who was initially hesitant to trust our shipping process and opted to pick up his order. I went the extra mile to ensure he was well taken care of, and by the end of his visit, he expressed his appreciation for my patience and has since become one of our biggest customers, insisting on interacting only when I am available. This experience was flattering and fulfilling, showing me the importance of trust and patience in customer service.

As a customer myself, I value customer service that demonstrates genuine care and assurance that the company is not just after my money but also cares about my welfare. These experiences and insights align with the customer service principles covered in this unit, emphasizing the importance of empathy, attentiveness, and building trust with customers.
In reply to First post

by Abdon Le Roy Nkada -

I am a customer service agent at a hospital. I have already worked in the both service subdivision. Thé most excitful IS the face to face subdivision. There, WE have to welcome cordially patients, identify them, register them direct them and billing. 

They worry about time wasting, complain about heavy processes and sometime costs of thier healfcare. 

Such experience IS a great challenge  we deal with dayly. Every patient is a new expérience. Every day a new day. 

This course will improve my skill in customer management.

In reply to First post

by Monique Horton -
I'd be interested in a customer service job that allows me to interact directly with people, whether face-to-face or remotely. While face-to-face interaction offers the opportunity for personal connection and immediate problem-solving, remote customer service centers provide flexibility and the ability to assist customers from different locations. As for the industry, I'd prefer to work in a field that aligns with my interests and allows me to engage with customers in a meaningful way, such as technology, hospitality, or retail.

One interaction I've had involved assisting a customer who was frustrated with a technical issue. To make a favorable impression, I actively listened to their concerns, remained patient and empathetic, and provided clear and concise explanations of potential solutions. I also ensured to maintain a positive and professional attitude throughout the interaction. To improve further, I could focus on personalized communication, addressing the customer by name and tailoring my responses to their specific needs and preferences. Additionally, I could follow up with the customer to ensure their issue was fully resolved and to express gratitude for their patience and understanding.

As a customer, I hope to have my needs and wants fulfilled by customer service providers who are knowledgeable, responsive, and empathetic. These expectations align with the key principles covered in this unit, such as active listening, problem-solving, and providing personalized assistance. I expect customer service representatives to understand my concerns, offer timely and effective solutions, and treat me with respect and empathy throughout the interaction. By adhering to these principles, customer service providers can ensure a positive and satisfactory experience for their customers.
In reply to First post

by gabriela fabris -
I would like to work in face to face in the tourism industry. I'm currently employed in the retail sector when I deal with customers from all around the world, I'm happy to be able to connect with different cultures and learn a bit from each of them.
I have had involve assisting a angry customer, I listened carefully, with empathy and positive attitude, ensuring that the customer felt supported, I provided clear solutions, the customer appreciate my patience and she became a frequently customer.
After this unit I will add a good speech rate, open gesture, paralanguage.. etc
As a customer I would like to be treated with empathy and respect.
In reply to First post

by Peter Alferieff -
I've experienced face-to-face and, more recently, a lot of remote interactions with customers. In general, I prefer the face-to-face interactions. I find it easier to connect face-to-face and the conversation seems more natural. The convenience of remote meeting often outweighs the benefits of face-to-face though. I currently work in digital marketing.

When I meet with new clients, I always try to break the ice at the beginning by chatting about some general and comfortable topics, and crack a few jokes. This goes a long way to making them feel comfortable, and open up. Once the important part of the meeting gets started, the clients are already warmed up so to speak, and can get right into the business at hand in a more affable manner.

As a customer, I want the service provider to be friendly, helpful and show empathy for my situation.
In reply to First post

by Donye' Dickens -
What sort of customer service job might you like to find? Would you prefer working in a face-to-face situation, or through a remote customer service center? What industry would you like to work in?
I like customer service jobs that I like is either over the phone, or even face to face. I want to make sure that the customer is being heard whether it is positive or a negative encounter. I have been in. all positions when it comes to working in customer service.
Describe an interaction you've been involved with - either personal or professional. What steps did you take to make a favorable impression? How might you use the lessons from this unit to make even better impressions?
I work at Bath & Body Works (BBW) for almost 5 years now. I have dealt with customers that come in happy ready to shop or customers who are upset trying to find something that is no longer in season. I also work in the medical field where I have patients who come in already knowing what the appointment is about, and then I have patients who end up getting charged more because insurance didn’t cover what happened during the appointment. Regardless where I am, I always try to make sure I always do my best in turning a frown from upside down. When customers or patients leave, they always end up happy or having a good experience.
As a customer, what needs and wants do you hope to have fulfilled by customer service providers? Do they match those covered in this unit?
As a customer, the needs and wants I hop to have fulfilled by customer service providers is having clarity, problem resulting, consistency, and respect of course. I think that the topics that I have put into my answer do match to the unit’s reading. Having clarity with a customer is key. You need to make sure in order to resolve the problem, you have an understanding of what is going on. With being consistent you want to make sure that you are keeping up with the customer, not necessarily bombarding them, but showing them that you as the representative care.
In reply to First post

by Keith Frazier -
I personally have experience both remote and face to face as a customer service worker. Face to face hands down is a better experience. Customers who have complaints come off as more emboldened when verbalizing their frustrations to employees over the phone or by email as opposed to face to face. I would seek customer experience second level managerial roles as those fall more in line with my level of expertise. I currently work in finance. Generally complimenting a client by using empathetic statements will gain favor with clients, especially when that is tied with knowledge around the topic at hand. Personally I prefer to have friendly people working with me being clear in their style of communication. Some workers use bias both intentionally and unconsciously which create a negative experience among clients in any industry. As a consumer within the airline I was once asked if I was sure I was seated in the right place by a member of the flight crew while seated in first class. While working with the general public can be challenging overall, it is important to note that employees should be passionate about the work that they do before exploring the work no matter how challenging the work may be or easy the job may be to acquire depending the industry. Thank you for taking the time to consider my discussion.