Unit 8: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
In this unit, we explore industrial and organizational psychology, also known as "I/O" psychology. This subfield is concerned with studying behavior in an organizational setting (such as the workplace) as well as utilizing principles of psychology to understand work behaviors. This is a rather new subfield within psychology, but is growing very quickly due to its interesting line of inquiry.
Completing this unit should take you approximately 2 hours.
Upon successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- define the subfield of Industrial/Organizational psychology and explain its history;
- differentiate between industrial and organizational psychology and the real-life applications of each; and
- explain how human-factors psychology relates to Industrial/Organizational psychology.
8.1: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Watch this lecture, which provides an introduction and discussion of the chapter you'll read next.
This introduction and first three sections of Chapter 13 introduce the field of I/O psychology. Pay attention to the distinction between industrial and organizational psychology. What does an industrial psychologist do an a daily basis? How is this different from an organizational psychologist? Can these two terms be used interchangeably?
Read this article, which outlines what an I/O psychologist does. Is this a career option you might be interested in?
8.2: Human Factors Psychology
This section focuses on human factors psychology, particularly the integration of humans and machines in the workplace. This field draws not only on psychology but also has roots in engineering and design. As you read, ask yourself what machines are important for your work, and how you interact with them. Are there methods for improving those interactions?
Unit 8 Assessment
- Receive a grade
Take this assessment to see how well you understood this unit.
- This assessment does not count towards your grade. It is just for practice!
- You will see the correct answers when you submit your answers. Use this to help you study for the final exam!
- You can take this assessment as many times as you want, whenever you want.