Unit 4: Training and Development/Career Planning
Once you have completed the recruitment process, the HR department if often charged with training and developing this new human capital. You can think about this training as the process businesses use to inform new members about the specific components of the jobs they have assumed. Consider this process as a way to offer continuous improvement and an opportunity to develop and update your human capital to be successful on the job. In the same way, career planning, often called succession planning, involves mapping the growth of your human capital and building strong relationships with the management team.
Completing this unit should take you approximately 4 hours.
Upon successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- create strategies to support the training and development of human capital; and
- describe the impact that career/succession planning has on human capital.
4.1: Training and Development of Human Capital
Watch the introductory video and read the first three sections of this chapter on the process of strategically training and developing employees that have been selected. Stop when you get to section 8.4.
In a competitive marketplace, effective training and development programs offer a recruitment tool to human resources (HR) and a valuable tool for employee retention. Knowing an organization is investing time and resources into your development can be critical.
The "Fortune 500 Focus" section describes how the Walt Disney Company conducts its training and development programs. In addition to providing training specific to each particular position in the park, the Disney Development Connection program offers continuous development to their human capital. In addition to in-house training, Disney also offers employees tuition reimbursement. In this way, Disney shows it is committed to its employees. How do you think these offerings affect employee performance, job satisfaction, corporate culture, and employee retention?
- This article argues that formal training wastes organizational resources and that "push learning" is frequently unproductive. The author believes that creating an organizational culture of on-going, work-driven learning is far more effective. Brainstorm some industries where you believe this model works, and where it does not. Could you argue that the outcome of formal training depends on the type of learner, rather than the the type of learning?
- This short article notes that formal training sessions may be well-suited for large organizations, but they are not always feasible for small teams. The author notes the importance of encouraging continuous training, often through on-the-job training, and the value in mentorship. Think of ways that mentorship can positively impact both the new hire and the seasoned employee who provides the mentoring.
4.2: Career Planning/Succession Planning of Human Capital
- Read the final section of this chapter. Pay close attention to the "Career Development Programs and Succession Planning" section and Figure 8.11, "Career Development Planning Process". You may want to make a copy of this figure in your notes. Complete the exercises at the end of the section and be sure to spend time on the question on the importance of creating a career development plan, even if your employer does not have one.
Unit 4 Assessments
- Please complete this assessment.
- Receive a grade
After reading the information in Unit 4, you should have learned the foundational elements associated with training and development. In summation, training is an HR activity that happens when new human capital is onboarded into the organization or when a current employee is moved into a position with greater responsibility and authority. Development is an HR activity that is a continuous process of improvement. Development should be happening if a company implements a new process that changes the way a job is completed or if an employee is struggling to meet his or her established goals. Once your score has been calculated, review your class notes and resource materials to better understand any questions you answered incorrectly.
- This assessment does not count towards your grade. It is just for practice!
- You will see the correct answers when you submit your answers. Use this to help you study for the final exam!
- You can take this assessment as many times as you want, whenever you want.