Meaning Analysis Continued
See if you can identify the ways in which these examples are ambiguous.
- For sale - an antique table suitable for lady with thick legs.
- For sale - ten puppies from an Australian terrier and a Boston terrier.
- He left the bomb fifty yards to the right of the car in front of the house.
- Mary loves Peter and Paul and Susan loves him too.
- It is not advisable to take aspirin and alcohol after a meal.
- I saw her duck.
- The teacher hit the student with a stick.
- Tiffany worries about annoying taxi drivers.
- The old men and women sat at the front of the hall.
Source: Joe Lau and Jonathan Chan, https://philosophy.hku.hk/think/meaning/pitfalls1.php
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 License.