Public Finance and Public Choice
2. The Role of Government in a Market Economy
2.2. Answers to Try It! Problems
- This is an attempt to deal with monopoly, so it is a response to imperfect competition.
- Cigarette consumption may result from an irrational decision.
- Protecting the earth from such a calamity is an example of a public good.
- Food Stamps are a means-tested program to redistribute income.
- Social Security is an example of a non-means-tested income redistribution program.
- This is a response to external costs.
- This is a response to monopoly, so it falls under the imperfect competition heading.