Data and Databases
This chapter covers the concepts of data and databases. Businesses are becoming more and more "data-driven"; understanding how data is collected, stored, and managed is essential for anyone wanting to succeed in business. Pay special attention to the sections on data warehouses and data mining, as they provide examples of how companies use data strategically.
Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe the differences between data, information, and knowledge;
- Describe why database technology must be used for data resource management;
- Define the term database and identify the steps to creating one;
- Describe the role of a database management system;
- Describe the characteristics of a data warehouse; and
- Define data mining and describe its role in an organization.
Source: David Bourgeois, https://opentextbook.site/informationsystems2019/chapter/chapter-4-data-and-databases-update/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 License.