What are Statistics?
Read this brief introduction to the field of statistics and some relevant examples of how statistics can lend credibility to making arguments. Complete the practice questions in these sections.
Importance of Statistics
Question 1 out of 2.
You hear in a commercial that 80% of children prefer to eat a certain kind of cereal for breakfast. What do you conclude?
- This cereal is superior to all others...at least according to kids.
- You need to know more about where these data came from before making any conclusions.
- 20% of kids prefer to eat Trix.
Question 2 out of 2.
What should you take into consideration when evaluating statistical claims? Check all that apply.
- The statistics presented
- The sources of the statistical findings
- The procedures used to generate the claims