Numerical Measures of Central Tendency and Variability
Read these sections and complete the questions at the end of each section. First, we will define central tendency and introduce mean, median, and mode. We will then elaborate on median and mean and discusses their strengths and weaknesses in measuring central tendency. Finally, we'll address variability, range, interquartile range, variance, and the standard deviation.
Measures of Variability
- Determine the relative variability of two distributions
- Compute the range
- Compute the inter-quartile range
- Compute the variance in the population
- Estimate the variance from a sample
- Compute the standard deviation from the variance
- What is Variability?