Discussion: The Customer Service Workplace

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: The Customer Service Workplace

Number of replies: 30

Imagine you are the manager of a customer service department orienting newly hired employees on aspects of dealing with challenging problems and difficult customers. Based on this unit's readings, what are some possible situations and tactics you would want the new employees to be prepared for as they start their job? 

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: The Customer Service Workplace

by Samantha Tait -
If I were hiring a new customer service employee I would make sure they learned some solutions and tactics to assist them in dealing with challenging problems or difficult customers. First things first I would have them learn they need to hear the customer out before trying to help them. Nothing is worse than when you have a problem and you are trying to explain everything and you keep getting interrupted. So first hear the customer out, then second I would have them remain calm, reasonable, and patient. Third, apologize to the customer even if they think the customer is wrong. Fourth I would have them work with the customer to find a solution so the customer is happy. I would encourage them to make the solutions clear to the customer by taking charge by saying "Here's what we can do.." and giving them options. I would also have them do this to include the customer in the solution so they felt they were completely satisfied with the solution. If they are being more difficult I would advise them to talk to a supervisor and see if they could discount anything for them to see if that could potentially help. These are all things I would encourage and teach when hiring someone in customer service because you will always have to deal with an angry customer when working this kind of job so it is good to learn how to help them efficiently and quickly so they do not get more upset or angry.
In reply to First post

by Michael Bernardi -
If I were a customer service manager, I'd make sure new hires are ready for tough situations and difficult customers. They need to stay calm and listen when customers are angry, apologize for problems, and find solutions within our company rules. Handling technical issues means basic troubleshooting and knowing when to ask our tech support team for help. We'll also cover how to communicate when language is a barrier, manage unreasonable demands, and deal with emotional customers by being understanding. They should learn to get good at taking lots of calls efficiently and take breaks to avoid stress also not be shy to ask for a manager's help. The goal is to help them navigate challenges and make customers happy.
In reply to Michael Bernardi

by Soukaina Farhoun -
As a customer service manager, I would prioritize comprehensive training for new hires to prepare them for challenging situations and difficult customers. This training would emphasize the importance of remaining calm, actively listening, and offering sincere apologies when customers are angry. It's essential for them to understand company policies and procedures for finding solutions within those guidelines. Technical troubleshooting skills and knowing when to escalate issues to the appropriate support team would also be emphasized. Additionally, we would provide guidance on effective communication in cases where language barriers exist and strategies for managing unreasonable demands and emotional customers with empathy and understanding. Encouraging efficient call handling and stress management techniques, such as taking breaks when needed, would also be part of the training to ensure the well-being of our team members while striving to maintain customer satisfaction.
In reply to First post

by GRAIL APIABSEH -

Orienting newly hired employees on aspects of dealing with challenging problems and diverse difficult customers, as a customer service department manager I would want them to be prepared with the following anticipation:  

☆ A customer might become angry because of failure to deliver his product in time or solutions given to him aren't to his satisfaction or might be his products has been directed to a wrong address, in this case,  the employee (s) doesn't have to respond in kind at the customer, but rather- apologise for the delay- and assure that the same mistake won't repeat itself. 

☆ Employees should show empathy for customer's problems; if possible, exceed customer's  expectations- this shows that their problem is your problem. 

☆ If a customer gets mad at something even if its trivial, let him vent a little to the point that it's to his satisfaction, then that is when you can come in with gentle words like, "I know why you are upset " or, let's have a joint agreed solution to the problem. Moreover, hand the power over to the customer by saying, "what do you propose we should do inorder that the problem be resolved?"

☆When a customer is posing a problem,  customers must apply effective listening skills; this helps your customers to at least feel that this is someone they can express, communicate their problems to or, that you clearly can comprehend their problems. In addition to this, employees can also utilise fillers especially if it's a conversation on the telephone;this is to demonstrate that you are listening or encouraging your customers to continue. 

☆ Based on customer's diversity, CSWs might need to adjust their forms of verbal & non verbal communication according to the cultural comfort of the customers. 

☆CSWs when communicating, should avoid using slangs and jokes; also learning to keep messages brief, speech rate no more than 120 words per minute and clearly especially a customer  from a distinct culture who enters a new environment of which he is not familiar with; moreover,  using simple standard English. 

☆ Inorder to completely satisfy the customers , CSWs should apply the two golden rules of  customer service :                - ) Find out what customers really want.     -) Treat them how you want them to be treated; in addition to this,  apply the three goldens: listen, empathise and take charge. 

☆ CSWs should be comfortable interacting with customers from diverse cultural and demographic backgrounds. 

☆  For CSWs to effectively deal with challenging diverse customers, they need to protect themselves with a proper mindset and attitude. 

Attachment UPS Customer Center Natchitoches.jpg
In reply to First post

by Churchill Eze -

A Brief Guide for Customer Service Relations

Customer Service Training:

• The training will include clearly defined steps for dealing with challenging issues or difficult customers. The training will also address when and how a supervisor can be requested, especially if the issue may result in legal liability for the company.

Observation:

• All newly hired employees assigned to the product/service delivery process should thoroughly check the quality of such items and the delivery data for each. Failure to do so can result in unsatisfactory customer service, causing major inconvenience to the customer and diminishing the company's standard for service delivery.
  • Keeping track of customer requests and organizing company-issued promises can help prevent unfulfilled service. If a promise or special request is not met, documented customer history can assist with the resolution process.

Adapting to Customer Behavior:

• Customer service workers will have to assist customers with various cultural and demographic differences. To properly assist them, workers will have to modify their methods of interaction.
  • Such modifications may include not assuming customers understand their explanation simply because they agree, using simple English, keeping messages brief, rephrasing when necessary, being cautious with humor, slang, or gestures, and refraining from judging or applying their cultural beliefs. Being proficient in several languages is an added advantage; otherwise, requesting the help of a co-worker fluent in a customer's language can be just as effective.

Managing Service-Related Problems:

• Resolving customer-related issues can be done by listening carefully and empathizing effectively. To listen carefully, workers should not interrupt when customers are explaining an issue, listen intently by slightly leaning towards the customer and turning an ear their way, and apply paralanguage when conversing with customers over the phone.
  • To empathize effectively, customer service workers should try to see the issue as the customers might, using a customer-centric perspective. Customers should be reimbursed or receive a suitable replacement for an improper service/product as quickly as possible. Failing to remedy such a situation, among others, can result in bad reviews online and through word of mouth, affecting the company's reputation. A bad reputation can lead to a loss of profit or potential customers.

Managing Difficult Customers:

• Some ways to prevent or de-escalate an issue in customer service relations are: workers should control how they respond by being patient, avoiding appearing adversarial by refraining from defending themselves and telling the customers to calm down. Offering a sincere apology and allowing the customer to vent their rage [within reason] for a few minutes is also recommended.
  • If a customer service worker cannot resolve a challenging issue on their own even after properly implementing good customer service, the supervisor, security, or appropriate authorities can be called. However, additional aid to de-escalate disruption by a customer should be requested per the level of disruption to avoid damaging the company's reputation.
In reply to First post

by FAICAL ABASSISSE -
Challenging Problems:
Situation: A customer encounters persistent technical issues.
Tactic: Emphasize active listening, thorough troubleshooting, and clear communication on steps taken to resolve the problem.
Difficult Customers:
Situation: Dealing with an irate customer dissatisfied with a service.
Tactic: Teach empathy, patience, and techniques for de-escalation, focusing on resolving the issue rather than escalating tension.
Product Knowledge:
Situation: Handling inquiries about complex products.
Tactic: Ensure comprehensive product knowledge training, encouraging continuous learning to confidently address customer queries.
Team Collaboration:
Situation: Collaborating with other departments to solve customer issues.
Tactic: Stress the importance of effective cross-team communication and collaboration to provide seamless solutions.
Positive Communication:
Situation: Maintaining professionalism even in challenging interactions.
Tactic: Instill the use of positive language, active listening, and expressing empathy to create a positive customer experience.
In reply to First post

by Ebony Gregory -
If I were a manager of a customer service department orienting newly hired employees on dealing with challenging problems and difficult customers, I would want them to be able to recognize the challenge within the problem thereby being able to create a solution that best suits the customer. I would want the to have a calm attitude of detachment, which can help with difficult customers. I would also want them to have empathy and apologize to the customer which can help changed the customers attitude. Last but not least, exceed the customers expectations.
In reply to Ebony Gregory

by Agidi Oghenetejiri Odiphri -
If I were hiring a new customer service employee I would make sure they learned some solutions and tactics to assist them in dealing with challenging problems or difficult customers. First things first I would have them learn they need to hear the customer out before trying to help them. Nothing is worse than when you have a problem and you are trying to explain everything and you keep getting interrupted. So first hear the customer out, then second I would have them remain calm, reasonable, and patient. Third, apologize to the customer even if they think the customer is wrong. Fourth I would have them work with the customer to find a solution so the customer is happy. I would encourage them to make the solutions clear to the customer by taking charge by saying "Here's what we can do.." and giving them options. I would also have them do this to include the customer in the solution so they felt they were completely satisfied with the solution. If they are being more difficult I would advise them to talk to a supervisor and see if they could discount anything for them to see if that could potentially help. These are all things I would encourage and teach when hiring someone in customer service because you will always have to deal with an angry customer when working this kind of job so it is good to learn how to help them efficiently and quickly so they do not get more upset or angry
In reply to First post

by Goodness Goodnews -
I will encourage or admonish them to:
1: Become good listeners
2. Put the customers in their shoes.
3. Take their complaints as gift. The complaining customer wants to stay.
4. Smile a lot.
In reply to First post

by Phillimon Nkhoma -

Given a chance to be manager of the customer service  department, I would orient  newly hired employees on dealing with challenging problems and difficult customers, I would want them to be able to recognize the challenge within the problem there by being able to create a solution that best suits the customer. Additionally  I would want them to have a calm attitude, which can help with difficult customers. I would also want them to have empathy and apologize to the customer which can help changed the customers attitude. exceeding the customers expectations should be one of the goals as well.

In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
If I were a manager of a customer service department I would make any new employee is good at dealing with angry customers.
In reply to First post

by Agape C. Bright -

As a hiring manager of a customer service department orienting newly hired employees on dealing with challenging problems and difficult customers, I would want them to be able to recognize the challenge within the problem thereby being able to create a solution that best suits the customer. I would want the to have a calm attitude of detachment, which can help with difficult customers. I would also want them to have empathy and apologize to the customer which can help change the customers attitude. Lastly I would teach them to exceed the customers expectations in the very possible way.

In reply to First post

by MARY EFEH -

As the manager of a customer service department orienting newly hired employees, I would make sure the new employees are able to analyze problems,research answers and implement solutions as it is their job to help find resolution. Also I would want them to be prepared to take ownership of problems and turn the problem’s solution into a partnership to achieve a speedy resolution and satisfaction. 

In reply to First post

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to First post

by bright uka -
due to the challenges faced in company if I were to hire a new customer service worker i will host an orientation and a 2day seminar to bring them up and help them withstand the difficulty of the customer in different ways it may come
In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
I would make sure that they knew how to
• Deal with angry customers
• Resolve complex issues
• Deal with rude or disrespectful customers
• Manage long wait times or delays
In reply to First post

by Ahmed Shah -
1. Dealing with irate customers: New employees should be prepared for handling customers who are upset or angry about an issue. They should be trained on how to remain calm, empathize with the customer, and work towards finding a solution to their problem.

2. Managing unreasonable demands: Some customers may make unreasonable demands or expect special treatment. Employees should be taught how to set boundaries, manage expectations, and find a compromise that satisfies both the customer and the company.

3. Handling technical issues: Customers may come with technical problems or questions that the employee may not have an immediate answer to. They should be trained on how to troubleshoot, research solutions, and escalate issues to higher levels if necessary.
In reply to First post

by Virginia Michael -
If I were a customer service manager, I would make sure new employee are trained properly to enable them deal with challenging problem and difficult customer. They have to learn how to be calm and not to interrupt a customer but rather try to listen to the customer complaint and seek for ways to resolve their issue. They would also learn how to empathize and apologize to customer while providing a solution to the customer query and most especially customer satisfaction most be achieved.
In reply to First post

by Britney Taylor -
When hiring a new Customer Service Worker, there are some tactics they will need to know, and some situations they will need to know how to deal with. If they are someone who gets frustrated easily, they will need to know how to handle certain difficult situations with patience, because if they don't, the customer will more than likely take their business elsewhere. The potential CSW will need to know how to listen to the customer's complaints, wants, and needs carefully. They will need to take charge of the situation by figuring out how to make the problem right, and they will need to make the customer feel like they are a part of the solution by forming a partnership.
Some customers are easy to do business with, others, not so much. When dealing with a customer who is particularly angry or frustrated about a situation, the CSW will need to know the proper steps to make this right- apologize, apologize again, do not argue, and offer remediation. It is always best to try to exceed the customer's expectations. Some customers are calm and collected, but when dealing with difficult customers, the CSW will need to protect themselves with the proper mindset and attitude- it helps to not take things personally.
When it comes to defusing an angry customer, the potential CSW will need to be open to apologizing and helping the customer find a solution to their problem. They will need to also speak slowly, use short, simple sentences, and be tactful. The CSW should try to see the situation from the customer's point of view to better understand their stance on the situation. The CSW can also defuse the situation by effectively listening. They can smile at the customer, let the customer vent their frustrations, and use words of understanding like, "uh-huh," "yes," and "I see".
The potential CSW will need to know the dos and don'ts of handling challenging customers. They should not get angry or feel the need to defend themselves. They should avoid telling the customer things like, "Calm down" and they should assure the customer they want to help. They should also show empathy and remain positive and calm.
Dealing with customers who are difficult or angry is not the only type of situation a potential CSW would need to prepare for. They should also know what to do when met with diversity. There will be times when there may be a language barrier. In this event, the CSW should carefully explain things slowly, and in simple sentences. They should avoid using gestures like thumbs up and 'ok' as those are considered offensive in some cultures. When speaking with these customers, the CSW should not assume just because the customer is smiling and nodding that they understand what they are being told. The CSW should be sure what they are telling the customer is received clearly.
When preparing a new employee, I would be certain they could handle each of these situations carefully and appropriately.
In reply to First post

by amy nunez -
I would want these employees to know that they will experience hard challenges and that not everything is going to go smooth and calmly all the time. They will have to know how to navigate when an upset customer is feeling frustrated. I will have to tell them and help them navigate when obstacles like these occur. Some tactics that I will encourage them to do is listen. If they hear the customer very upset, I'll let my employees know to hear them out or maybe not even hear them but let the customers frustration come out. Once it's out, calmly let them know you understood and will be working to get their problem solved as quickly as possible. Have empathy for them, so that they know that you are truly trying to help them with their needs.
In reply to First post

by Stephen Obiri-Ibe -
As a customer service manager orienting newly hired employees on aspects of dealing with challenging problems and difficult customers, some possible situations and tactics I would want the new employees to be prepared for based on this unit’s readings are as follows:

In a situation where they are dealing with an irate customer dissatisfied with a service, the tactic to use is to be empathic, patient and focus on resolving the issue rather than escalating tension. In a situation where the customer encounters persistent technical issues, the tactic to use is to actively listen, troubleshoot thoroughly and communicate clearly on the steps taken to resolve the issue. In a situation where the customer is making inquiries about a complex product, the tactic to use is to ensure comprehensive product knowledge and continuous learning of products to confidently address customer queries.
In reply to First post

by Shiela Maree Pino -
As the manager of a customer service department, I would want newly hired employees to be prepared for a variety of challenging situations and difficult customer interactions. Here are some possible scenarios and tactics I would include in their orientation:

1. **Handling Complaints about Faulty Products or Services:**
- Situation: A customer calls to complain about a faulty product they purchased.
- Tactics: Train employees to actively listen to the customer's concerns, express empathy, and offer solutions such as troubleshooting steps, replacement, refund, or repair options.

2. **Dealing with Angry Customers:**
- Situation: A customer is upset and frustrated due to a billing error.
- Tactics: Teach employees to remain calm and composed, actively listen to the customer's grievances without interrupting, apologize for any inconvenience caused, take ownership of the problem, and work towards finding a satisfactory resolution.

3. **Managing High Call Volume:**
- Situation: The customer service line experiences a sudden surge in call volume, leading to long wait times for customers.
- Tactics: Provide strategies for efficiently managing high call volumes, such as prioritizing urgent issues, using pre-recorded messages to update customers on wait times, offering alternative communication channels (e.g., online chat), and implementing call-back options to reduce hold times.

4. **Addressing Language Barriers:**
- Situation: A customer speaks a language other than the employee's primary language, leading to communication difficulties.
- Tactics: Offer resources and training on how to effectively communicate with customers who speak different languages, including using translation tools, hiring multilingual staff, or providing language-specific scripts for common customer inquiries.

5. **Resolving Complex Issues:**
- Situation: A customer presents a complex problem that requires in-depth investigation and collaboration across departments.
- Tactics: Equip employees with problem-solving skills, encourage teamwork and collaboration with other departments, provide access to relevant resources and training materials, and empower employees to escalate issues to higher-level support if necessary.

6. **Dealing with Disruptive or Abusive Behavior:**
- Situation: A customer becomes verbally abusive or uses inappropriate language during a conversation.
- Tactics: Train employees on how to handle disruptive behavior professionally and assertively, establish clear boundaries for acceptable conduct, empower employees to disengage from abusive interactions if necessary, and provide support and resources for managing stress and emotional well-being.

By preparing new employees with these tactics and strategies, they will be better equipped to handle challenging problems and difficult customer interactions effectively, ultimately enhancing the overall customer service experience.
In reply to First post

by Bayode Yejide Oluwafunmilola -
As the manager of a customer service department, I would orient new employees on effectively handling several challenging scenarios they are likely to encounter. These would include dealing with angry customers, managing complaints about faulty products — whether due to company errors or customer mishandling — and resolving miscommunications related to product use and shipping details.

During orientation, I would stress the importance of maintaining professionalism, patience, and a proactive approach at all times. It's crucial for new employees to understand that how they handle these situations can significantly impact customer satisfaction and loyalty. I would also emphasize the importance of teamwork and the availability of support among colleagues. This approach helps new employees feel empowered to seek assistance when they face complex issues beyond their current skill level, fostering a supportive work environment where challenges are met collaboratively.
In reply to First post

by etsegenet_ abeje -
In order to deal with challenges, problems, difficult customers : to start of deal with problems while the problem is small so as to do that be calm, alert, patient, unemotional and then tact full focused for every problems and finally find the solution with the customer participation.
In reply to First post

by Abdon Le Roy Nkada -

If I am the Manager of a customer service department, intend the follwing recommendations to a newly hired :

I- He must be prepared to deal with difficult, demanding, upset, angry even violent and diverse cultural customers

II- The opposit behavior of my new customer service worker:

He must remain calme,

Let the customer vent,

Listen carefully,

Show empathy and apologize,

Be patient and reasonable,

Involve the customer in the solution finding process,

Summarize clearly the found solution to the customer,

Call for help if necessary,

Follow up the customer and be sure he is satisfied

Exceed the customer expectations.

In reply to First post

by gabriela fabris -
Never take a customer anger o insults personally.
Let the customer know their problems concern you as well
Be calm and keep focus on achieving results
In reply to First post

by Peter Alferieff -
1. Don't get angry even if the customer raises their voice and is looking for confrontation.
2. Try to side with the customer with empathy. Let the customer know you understand their frustration and have been through a similar situation.
3. Speak slowly and clearly, while also articulating well.
4. Be patient with customers.
5. Apologize if there has been a mistake made.
6. Explain the solution to the customers problem and explain how it will be taken care of
In reply to First post

by HEAVENLY APIABSEH -
  1. Dealing with challenging customers can be awkward, so try to employ the following tactics:                          - Be apologetic;                                    - Apply the golden CS rule- listen, empathise, and take charge;        and apply listening skills, etc.              
  2.   Maintain an attitude of calm detachment.                                           
  3.   Exceed customers' expectations.      
  4.  As the name implies- "CSWs " - which literally means answering customers' questions, providing them products and services, resolving issues, providing infos pertaining to products, etc.                  
  5. Don't take customers' anger or insults personally.                                  
  6.  Offer obvious steps and resolution for the issue.                                           
  7.  Sympathise & empathise with your customers- and be supportive as well , making them know you're more than just CSWs there to help them 😉 😄.                                            
  8.  Entitle customers to vent out thier rage before initiating steps to resolve the issue.
In reply to First post

by Keith Frazier -
As a manager who is orienting new employees, it is important to support employees with access to company policies and the mindset of using those as ways to say yes as opposed to no. Communicate in positive methods finding a way to say 'thank you' as opposed to 'I'm sorry'. Working hard to empathize and leverage active listening techniques to make sure that clients feel that they have your undivided attention. Sharing benefits, and the layout of the facility as well as sharing the most common examples of challenges which will come up is also strongly recommended to share. Thank you for taking the time to review this discussion.