Discussion: Customer Service Skillsets

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: Customer Service Skillsets

Number of replies: 26

Imagine you were the manager of a customer service department orienting new employees on the best practices in telephone and computer communications, as well as team work effectiveness and personal development. Based on this unit's readings, what are the key suggestions you would offer to help your new employees be effective in their positions? 

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: Customer Service Skillsets

by GRAIL APIABSEH -

Imagine you were the manager of a customer service department orienting new employees on the best practices in telephone and computer communications, as well as team work effectiveness and personal development. Based on this unit's readings, what are the key suggestions you would offer to help your new employees be effective in their positions? 

As a customer service department manager,  I would gladly recommend the following inorder that my newly employed workers become effective in their positions: 

☆  When conversing on the  phone with a customer, speech rate should be considered about 140 wpm; tone pitch should match that of your customers, not exhibiting superiority or intimidation. Moreover,  the tone should convey commitment and competency. 

☆ When conversing  on phone with a customer, one must and ought to be proactive; i.e one should apply social ethical principles,  be apologetic- especially when it's obvious that one should, be ready to express words of gratitude, appreciation or encouragement! Additionally,  a CSW can establish trust between the CSW and customer. 

☆ CSWs can also apply non verbal communication tactics- for they also play their part of contribution in letting customers know that they can/should continue the explaining of their issues. 

In case there's the need to put a customer on hold or to do call transfer, the customer should be alerted and permission required from them. 

☆  CSWs should always keep in mind that for the sake of complete satisfaction of the customers,  effective listening,  problem- solving  and communication skills should and must be applied. 

☆ Communicating  your message over the computer should be concise, succinct and brief! Also importantly- reviewing must be done before submitting a message - for the purpose that irrelevant/ inapprote information and ambiguities be detected or removed!

☆  CSWs should use descriptive subject headings,  for the purpose that the intent of their message is clearly understood. Templates can also be utilised for the better facilitation of their work!

☆ Creating time for relaxation and sufficient rest about 90mins  or more, can help keep workers in maximum productivity.

☆  Team work is also necessary! It might be that a problem  demanding a solution requires ideas from various workers or  a problem demands solving from another person who is more skilled or has knowledge about it. 

☆ CSWs should keep in mind the three standard process of team development- forming, storming and norming.

☆ For the sake of better recognition and reputation of a firm,  employees/CSWs should strive for complete satisfaction of their customers and maintenance of their goals! Keeping also in mind the three primary components of an effective team which are- complementary team member skills, common vision, and bonding that holds a team together! 

Attachment Select Bus Service debuts on B44 (10930771124).jpg
Attachment Select Bus Service debuts on B44 (10930907013).jpg
Attachment Vandalized customer service center in Kwai Fong station.jpg
Attachment Visit to the DWP Customer Service Center in Crenshaw (19565932600).jpg
Tags:
In reply to First post

by Michael Bernardi -
As the manager of a customer service department, I would advise new employees on key practices to enhance their effectiveness in their roles. Firstly, in telephone communication, it's vital to speak clearly and confidently while maintaining a friendly and professional tone. Active listening and empathy are crucial for understanding and addressing customer concerns efficiently. Secondly, in computer-mediated communication, proficiency in company software and prompt responses to emails are essential. Accuracy and professionalism in written communication are equally important, alongside the ability to personalize messages appropriately. Thirdly, teamwork plays a significant role in the department. Collaborating with colleagues, offering assistance, and creating a healthy work environment is essential for effective teamwork. Furthermore, personal development should be prioritized, with a focus on learning, goal setting, and seeking feedback for improvement. By incorporating these suggestions into their daily practices, new employees can develop the skills and habits necessary to excel in their positions and contribute positively to our team.
In reply to First post

by Churchill Eze -

Customer Service Worker Orientation

• The new customer service workers will have to be briefed on the effective strategies they can apply to work as a team, communicate via electronic means, and attain personal development.

Effective Strategies for Teamwork:

• The company's vision will consist of clearly defined activities that need to be fulfilled. The customer service workers are expected to follow the directions given to them by managers or supervisors. The content of the company vision will be published in the form of a mission statement.
  • For a team to have members with complementary skills, all the new employees will be assigned to roles based on their skill proficiencies.
  • For interpersonal bonding to be achieved, the workers will have to appreciate the contributions of their co-workers. Since the bonding process is ongoing, it will require patience, loyalty, and occasional introspection among the employees.

The dynamics of teamwork have a three-phase process described by Psychologist Bruce Tuckman:

• The forming phase refers to the organization of the collective skills of the team members and the clarification of direction.
  • The storming phase refers to the differences in the team being observed and addressed.
  • The norming phase refers to the entire team accepting their differences and being comfortable with their directives.

Telephone and Electronic Communications:

The steps a customer service worker can take when communicating with a customer via telephone are:

• Focus on the words and tone of the customer's speech.
  • Keep a calm, friendly tone.
  • Your speech rate should match that of the customer.
  • Apologize for delays or inefficiencies.
  • Clearly describe the available options and assist in choosing a suitable solution.
  • Avoid call transfers where the customer would have to explain an issue again and guide them through the process to make it efficient.

E-communication can be done through various means and has more advantages than hard-copy methods. One of the ways employees can communicate electronically is through email.

• To make the email as appropriate as possible, avoid using informal salutations and large paragraphs. It's recommended that the worker address no more than two critical topics in a single message. Proofreading the message is also required to avoid appearing unprofessional. A template copy can be used for emails to save time, as various customer service queries are common.

Personal Development:

• A Customer service worker has to care for themselves to develop personally. Self-care has to be applied both at work and after work. The new employees and supervisors should work together to ensure a healthy work environment where workload distribution is fair, regular breaks are mandatory, and healthy communication is encouraged and supported among co-workers.
  • To properly care for yourself after work, leave work-related issues at work and focus on relaxation when you arrive home. Engaging in other activities apart from work can help ease the mind and build a social life.

In reply to First post

by FAICAL ABASSISSE -
For effective telephone communication:

Active Listening: Emphasize the importance of actively listening to customers, understanding their concerns, and responding appropriately.
Clear Communication: Stress the need for clear and concise communication, avoiding jargon and adapting language to the customer's level of understanding.
Empathy: Encourage employees to express empathy, acknowledging the customer's feelings, and showing a genuine desire to help.
In reply to First post

by Adeola Iyiola -

As a customer service manager I'll be orienting the new employees on the best practices in telephone and computer as this;

1. Focus on the words and tone of the customer's speech.

2. Apologizes on delays or inefficiencies.

3. You must posses a friendly language

4. Your tone must matches that of the customer

5. The written must be concise, clear and perfect.

In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
If I were the manager of a customer service department I would make sure any new employee has good communication skills, and good technology skills.
In reply to First post

by Michael De Guzman -
To effectively support new employees in their roles, it's crucial to provide a comprehensive orientation and onboarding process, clearly communicating performance expectations while offering ongoing training and development opportunities. Regular feedback should be given to aid improvement, fostering an environment where open communication and questions are encouraged. Collaboratively setting realistic goals aligned with organizational objectives is essential, alongside promoting work-life balance and wellness initiatives. Recognizing and rewarding contributions fosters motivation, while fostering a supportive work environment where conflicts are addressed promptly and fairly is vital. Ultimately, leading by example as a role model for professionalism, integrity, and dedication to excellence sets the tone for new employees to thrive and succeed in their positions.
In reply to First post

by Agape C. Bright -

To effectively support new employees in their roles, it's crucial to provide a comprehensive orientation and onboarding process, clearly communicating performance expectations while offering ongoing training and development opportunities. Firstly, in telephone communication, it's vital to speak clearly and confidently while maintaining a friendly and professional tone. Active listening and empathy are crucial for understanding and addressing customer concerns efficiently. Secondly, in computer-mediated communication, proficiency in company software and prompt responses to emails are essential. Accuracy and professionalism in written communication are equally important, alongside the ability to personalize messages appropriately. Thirdly, teamwork plays a significant role in the department. Collaborating with colleagues, offering assistance, and creating a healthy work environment is essential for effective teamwork. Furthermore, personal development should be prioritized, with a focus on learning, goal setting, and seeking feedback for improvement.

In reply to First post

by Damilola Olusola -
As a manager of a customer service department, I will advise my team to be proactive in their duties and always take the three actions of listening, empathising and taking charge of their customers seriously
In reply to First post

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to First post

by MARY EFEH -

As the manager of a customer service department orienting new employees on the best practices in telephone and computer communications the key suggestions I would offer to help my new employees be effective in their positions are: 

1: I would make sure my new employees are effective in their positions on how to engage sensitive listening and speaking skills in order to accurately assess and respond to a customer’s questions and needs. 

2: I would also make sure my employees are able to handle questions and problems with a friendly and professional demeanor.

3: I would make sure my employees are comfortable with communication media such as telephone calls, email and live chat and be able to communicate clearly and accurately with proper use of written and spoken styles. 

In reply to First post

by Amr Hanafy Abd Elmaged Saleh Abu-zeid -
Listening well, being brief in responding, conveying information, empathizing with the customer in the event of a problem, and providing solutions
In reply to First post

by Ahmed Shah -

1. **Active Listening Skills**: Encourage employees to listen actively to customers, understand their concerns, and respond appropriately. Empathy and patience are crucial in resolving issues effectively.

2. **Clear Communication**: Stress the importance of clear and concise communication over the phone and via computer. Advise them to use simple language and avoid jargon to ensure customers understand the information provided.

3. **Professionalism**: Emphasize the significance of maintaining a professional tone and demeanor in all interactions, both verbal and written. Remind them to remain calm and composed, even in challenging situations.

4. **Time Management**: Teach employees how to prioritize tasks efficiently to handle multiple customer inquiries effectively. Provide tips on managing time effectively, such as setting realistic goals and deadlines.

5. **Team Collaboration**: Foster a collaborative environment where employees support and assist each other. Encourage teamwork by promoting open communication, sharing knowledge, and celebrating successes together.

6. **Continuous Learning**: Highlight the importance of ongoing learning and development. Encourage employees to stay updated on company policies, products, and industry trends to better serve customers and enhance their skills.

7. **Self-Reflection and Improvement**: Encourage employees to reflect on their performance regularly and identify areas for improvement. Provide constructive feedback and support their personal development goals.

8. **Problem-Solving Skills**: Equip employees with effective problem-solving techniques to address customer issues efficiently. Encourage them to be proactive in finding solutions and escalating complex issues when necessary.

9. **Emotional Intelligence**: Stress the importance of emotional intelligence in customer service. Encourage employees to be aware of their emotions and those of customers, and to respond appropriately with empathy and understanding.

10. **Maintaining Positivity**: Remind employees to maintain a positive attitude, even during challenging interactions. Positivity can help diffuse tense situations and leave a lasting impression on customers.

In reply to First post

by Phillimon Nkhoma -

For one to effectively communicate on the telephone I would orient new CSWs to be good in the following:

• Active Listening- Emphasize the importance of actively listening to customers, understanding their concerns, and responding appropriately.
  • Clear Communication- Stress the need for clear and concise communication, avoiding jargon and adapting language to the customer's level of understanding.
  • Empathy-Encourage employees to express empathy, acknowledging the customer's feelings.
In reply to First post

by Virginia Michael -
As a manager of a customer service department, new employees should have good phone etiquette, active listening skill, good communication skill, problem solving skill and willingness to assist customer in order to achieve customer satisfaction
In reply to First post

by Ambrasha Mask -
Based on this unit's readings the key suggestions I would. As the customer service department manager in charge of orienting new employees on the best practices and key suggestions, I would offer, based on this unit's reading, to help our new employees be effective in their position as follows:

Telephone and computer communications can include many different types of equipment and connecting platforms. Our voice and the voice of our customers become the essential medium of communication in the absence of visual cues. Speak at a proper rate of speed and volume, with a tone that conveys commitment and competency. Ask permission before placing a customer on hold, initiating a transfer, or connecting them with a new service representative. Before disconnecting the transfer introduce the customer to the new contact, and inform them that you have explained their problem to the new representative. Be sure to thank the customer for their patience, apologize for any delays, and assure them that a solution to their problem is on its way.

E-communication involves messaging through business platforms such as email, corporate websites, social media postings, and other forms of electronic writing. Electronic media requires writing to be brief, clear, and succinctly convey important details while maintaining a cordial tone. Template copies that have been customized and tested, may be used whenever possible. The templates may help avoid unnecessary work, typos, ambiguities, and misinformation. Before sending or posting your messages, pause, take some time to review, and double-check for errors. Whether you're searching out answers to issues you may be working with, or developing your career the internet can be a valuable tool.

Creating an effective team that works well together may be one of the most challenging aspects of a workplace. The three primary components of An effective team requires three primary components. First, is a common vision. Secondly, team member skills complement and bond to hold the team together. Lastly, a diverse set of skills and perspectives among team members to help create a dynamic team. A standard process in team development includes forming, storming, and morning. Working and keeping the teams' best interests in mind helps resolve team problems and conflicts. This can lead to company recognition and reward for your efforts. Collaborate with employers to ensure the proper steps for time management and productivity are being taken. Beware of allowing negative emotions at the workplace to affect their well-being. Create time for relaxation and other activities to help you rejuvenate and keep a healthy perspective on work and life.
In reply to First post

by Stephen Obiri-Ibe -
If I were the manager of a customer service department orienting new employees on the best practices in telephone and computer communications, as well as team effectiveness and personal development, the key suggestions I would offer to help my new employees to be effective in their positions based on this unit’s reading includes

Encouraging empathy and patience by listening actively to customers, understanding their concerns, and responding appropriately as these are crucial to resolving issues effectively.

I would encourage them to use simple and clear language so that customers can understand them better.

I would stress the need to remain calm and always composed as maintaining a professional tone and demeanor is very important.

I would stress on effective time management so they can prioritize tasks efficiently to handle multiple customer inquiries effectively.

I would encourage them to use their problem-solving skills to proactively find and implement solutions.
In reply to First post

by Shiela Maree Pino -
As the manager of a customer service department, I would offer the following key suggestions to help new employees be effective in their positions:

1. Telephone Communication:
- Speak clearly and confidently, ensuring that your tone is friendly and professional.
- Listen actively to the caller's concerns and address them empathetically.
- Use positive language and avoid jargon or technical terms that the caller might not understand.
- Offer reassurance and solutions to the caller's problems, and follow up promptly on any commitments made during the call.
- Practice active listening and ask clarifying questions to ensure understanding.

2. Computer Communication:
- Use appropriate tone and language in written communication, ensuring clarity and professionalism.
- Respond promptly to emails and messages, acknowledging receipt and setting clear expectations for follow-up.
- Pay attention to nonverbal cues in written communication, such as tone, punctuation, and formatting, to convey intended meaning accurately.
- Be mindful of cultural differences and sensitivities when communicating with diverse customers or colleagues.
- Proofread your messages before sending to ensure accuracy and professionalism.

3. Teamwork Effectiveness:
- Establish clear goals, roles, and expectations for team projects, ensuring everyone understands their responsibilities.
- Foster open communication and collaboration within the team, encouraging feedback and sharing of ideas.
- Respect diverse perspectives and opinions, seeking consensus where possible and addressing conflicts constructively.
- Support and encourage your teammates, recognizing their contributions and celebrating successes together.
- Be flexible and adaptable in your approach, willing to adjust plans and strategies as needed to achieve team objectives.

4. Personal Development:
- Take initiative in seeking opportunities for learning and growth, whether through training programs, mentorship, or self-directed study.
- Set personal and professional goals, and regularly evaluate your progress towards achieving them.
- Seek feedback from supervisors, colleagues, and customers to identify areas for improvement and development.
- Stay organized and manage your time effectively, prioritizing tasks and balancing competing demands on your attention.
- Maintain a positive attitude and mindset, remaining resilient in the face of challenges and setbacks, and always striving to improve and excel in your role.
In reply to First post

by Bayode Yejide Oluwafunmilola -
As the manager of a customer service department, during orientation for new employees, I would emphasize best practices for phone and computer conversations, teamwork effectiveness, and personal development. Here are the key suggestions I'd offer:

For Phone and Computer Conversations:
- Encourage active listening, which involves attentively understanding customer queries and responding with verbal nods like "I understand" to confirm engagement.
- Use clear and concise language to avoid misunderstandings and communicate effectively.
- Maintain a professional tone at all times and respond promptly to customer inquiries, showing respect for their time.

For Teamwork Effectiveness and Personal Development:
- Encourage continuous learning to keep skills updated and relevant.
-Help employees set personal and professional goals and provide regular feedback through coaching to guide their development.
-Ensure that all team members have clearly defined roles and conduct regular meetings to keep everyone informed and engaged in the team's activities.
-I'll promote open communication among team members to foster a supportive environment where ideas and challenges can be shared openly.

By focusing on these practices, I aim to prepare new employees to be effective in their roles and to contribute positively to our team's overall success.
In reply to First post

by Abdon Le Roy Nkada -

As thé customer service manager, the new worker will be given the follwing recommendations

When phoning 

Speake friendly, clearly, precisely and concisely to the customer,

Listen carefully the customer issue,

Be empathetic 

Avoid transfering customer where he must explain his issue again.

When writing

Be clear and concise,

Be polite and professional

Use copy template

Be concentrate and check back the message before sending it.

About team working

He must communicate easily and freely,

Openness to new ideas, to unknwon individuals will be needed,

Critical thinking skill will be necessary

He must beware of storming stage

Problem-solving skill will be required 

Concerning Time management

He must be sure to take care of himself After a work day completion.

In reply to First post

by gabriela fabris -
key suggestions:
Ask for permission from customers before placing them on hold and initiating a transfer.
Be sure to thank your customer for their patience, apologize for any delays.
by using template copy where possible that has been customized and tested, you can avoid misinformation, unnecessary work, typos and ambiguities.
In reply to First post

by Senniesha Santos -
Key suggestions that I will share with the new employees in telephone best practices would be that when conversing on the phone with a customer, speech rate should be considered about 140 wpm; tone pitch should match that of your customers, not exhibiting superiority or intimidation. Moreover, the tone should convey commitment and competency.

they should answer the phones professionally, introduce name of their work place or department and also themselves, then ask the customer how they can help them. I would also suggest that they evaluate the tone of the customers voice and reply professionally with the same speed, for example, if the person sounds like he is in a rush, then they should help them in a timely manner, if the person is having difficulty speaking, then I would ask them to patiently wait for them to finish saying what they want to say, then answer them with a calm and gentle voice. I would also ask them that if they are dealing with rude customers on the phone then they should keep patient, speak calmly and try to calm the customer down instead of arguing with them, but if he/she is hard to deal with then the new employee will need to ask the manager to help them.
For computer communications, I would tell the new employees to communicate professionally by saying "Dear Mr./Mrs. ____" and then greet them before they start relaying what the purpose of their email is for, then end it with a respectful or friendly end line. They should always keep their email short and straight to the point because most of the time people are too busy to keep reading. I would also recommend that they state in their subject line an attention capturing line which states the purpose of the email. Lastly, to always proofread their emails, check it two to three times for grammatical errors or to make sure that the tone of your email would be well received positively.

For teamwork effectiveness, I will encourage each person to come up ideas on their own, and then come together to share and then try to combine their ideas together and then give it to me to review and if everything is good or if any improvements are needed then I will let them know of my decisions.

For personal development, I would recommend them break times, to step back from their work a little, and take a 30 minute break to relieve the stress and overwhelming feeling that they have.
In reply to First post

by Peter Alferieff -
I would tell them to speak clearly and slowly and address the customer respectfully, such as by using "Mr." or "Mrs.". Whenever there has been a mistake or problem, an apology should be offered. Customers often become frustrated by being on hold or being switched between different people in the call center. Apologize for the wait time. It is important to show empathy to the customer. Make the customer feel like you understand and empathize with their issue and that you are there to help them. Practice active listening. Make sure to confirm that you are paying attention.
When writing, always double check your writing for typos or grammar errors. Make sure the tone of the writing is appropriate to the situation. Explain everything carefully in a simple matter so there are no misunderstandings. Always be polite and professional and start the email with a proper greeting and finish it with an appropriate closing phrase, such as "best regards".
When working in teams, make sure to allocate duties and responsibilities at the start. This will help alleviate any issues with members not pulling their weight or becoming overly bossy. Think of the forming, storming, norming and performing concept. Following these stages will help to make a new team gel and work together in the most productive manner.
In reply to First post

by Donye' Dickens -
key of customer service, whether you are on the phone or in person is to know who your customer is. Say for instance you are a person who works for Instacart, and you shop for other people’s groceries and you’re looking at the eggs, do you look at your eggs before you buy them to make sure that none of them are broken? So why would you send some broken eggs to a customer? Treat the customer the way you would want to be treated. Believe it or not we use customer service whether we know it or not. Every job I’ve had has been in some type of what of customer service. I always make sure that with using customer service, no matter what kind of day that I have you are having, when you walk through that door, or turn on the screen, all your problems will have to wait until your lunch break! Make sure that when you are talking to a customer, you are treating them with respect and kindness. If the customer has an attitude, do not give an attitude back, remain calm and get a manager or a supervisor. If a customer is rowdy, aggressive, or they get physical with you, try not to aggressive back. Yes, we are all humans, but you have a job at the end of the day and your job that you applied for is to serve. When working with other people in group settings, make sure that everyone has a fair share of work. When you get into the group, observe to see who is skilled in different areas. You have a person who is excellent at putting words together, a person who may be good at typing, a person who is an excellent speaker, and someone who might be good with graphics! Group settings may be exhausting to some people, and sometimes we must do things that we don’t want to do, but if there is ever a conflict, let a manager know!