Discussion: Unit 4

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: Unit 4

Number of replies: 24

After reviewing the unit materials, please post and respond to the following topics. 

1. What resources have you used for finding past employment, or might you use for finding future positions? Why did/would you choose those particular resources?
  2. What steps would be most beneficial in preparing for a job interview?
  3. In what social networks have you participated? How might you use those networks for advancing your employment and professional growth opportunities?

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: Unit 4

by Churchill Eze -

1. To find job openings, I would use LinkedIn, Indeed, Upwork, etc. These types of platforms are made for employment-related activities. They consist of a lot of information and opportunities that help their users with their desired career path.
  2. To properly prepare for a job interview a candidate should dress professionally and should draft responses to possible questions, especially to questions that the candidate may want to avoid. 
  3. I would use LinkedIn to follow companies that I am interested in and subscribe to groups/pages that share beneficial information I can apply.

In reply to Churchill Eze

by Abdon Le Roy Nkada -

For the current position, i had a closer relationship with key persons of the company. Thus i followed the company's evolution and news until i applied for the position.

For the next position or, to shift up my career, i am using LinkedIn net work to learn from professionals, I keep sharping my technical skills through vocational training and i follow companies pages on Facebook.

In reply to First post

by Adeola Iyiola -

1. I'd use prefer using LinkedIn cause it creates many opportunities and the fact that you can join professional groups to enhance your knowledge and get you connected, promote yourself by updating your profile so in any case someone might like it and want you to join their company.

2. In preparing for interview it is essential to dress professionally, be ready to answer to questions you might want to avoid, expected to keep calm and not use uncomfortable words so as to not make the interviewer feel uncomfortable too. All these are beneficial and to take note before going for an interview.

3. LinkedIn is a social network for gaining more exceptional ideas, I've participating on LinkedIn to access the companies I'm interested in joining and promote my career.

In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
For finding employment or future positions I just go to the company that I’m interested in website. They usually have a link to their application.

I think it would be most beneficial to prepare for a job interview by practicing first what you’re going to say.

As far as social networks, I use LinkedIn. I think it’s really helpful if you’re finding who you want to connect with, and you can put yourself out there for employers to see.
In reply to First post

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
I like to use LinkedIn, because it gives the option for employers to reach out to you.

I like practicing what I’m going to say beforehand.
In reply to First post

by bright uka -
1 in preparing for an interview i prefer dressing up and down it looks professional and keep me comfortable to withstand in any questions I need to answer

2. I have partispated on LinkedIn network to access the company were i work and i see it as as a social network were to gain more ideas in work place

3. LinkedIn is best because it it creates job opportunities and get connected
In reply to First post

by Lucky Okogun -
I use LinkedIn, Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter. For the future, I'll continue with these platforms for finding more positions. I choose them because they are easily accessible and LinkedIn for one, helps me scale up by providing updates and opportunities for building my career.

In preparing for a job interview, first I would ensure the job description is read again and understood. Then I would prepare for likely questions. Then I would make arrangements to get there early.

I have participated in social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and TikTok. I have and will continue to use them to advance my career by reading and engaging career sensitive
posts. Then I would take time to build my online presence on the spaces.
In reply to First post

by Ahmed Shah -
Resources for Finding Employment:

Online Job Boards: Websites like Indeed, LinkedIn Jobs, Glassdoor, and Monster are popular platforms for job seekers to find job postings across various industries.
Company Websites: Many companies post job openings directly on their websites. It's often a good idea to target specific companies you're interested in working for and check their career pages regularly.
Networking: Building professional relationships through networking events, industry conferences, and online platforms like LinkedIn can lead to job opportunities through referrals and connections.
Recruitment Agencies: Recruitment agencies and headhunters can help match job seekers with suitable positions based on their skills and experience.
Freelancing Platforms: Platforms like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr are options for freelancers and contractors to find short-term or project-based work.
Preparing for a Job Interview:

Research the Company: Learn about the company's history, mission, values, products or services, recent news, and any notable achievements.
Understand the Job Role: Review the job description thoroughly to understand the responsibilities, required skills, and qualifications.
Practice Common Interview Questions: Prepare responses to common interview questions such as "Tell me about yourself," "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" and "Why do you want to work here?"
Showcase Your Achievements: Prepare specific examples of your achievements and experiences that demonstrate your skills and qualifications for the job.
Dress Appropriately: Dress professionally and appropriately for the industry and company culture.
Ask Questions: Prepare thoughtful questions to ask the interviewer about the company, team dynamics, or the role itself.
Participation in Social Networks:

LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a professional networking platform where users can connect with colleagues, join industry groups, share updates, and discover job opportunities.
Twitter: Twitter can be used for professional networking by following industry influencers, participating in Twitter chats, and sharing relevant content.
Facebook: Facebook groups and pages related to professional interests or industries can provide networking opportunities and valuable resources.
GitHub: For those in tech fields, GitHub can be a valuable platform for showcasing coding skills and collaborating on open-source projects.
Using these social networks, individuals can engage with professionals in their field, stay updated on industry trends, share their expertise, and potentially discover job opportunities through connections and networking. Regularly interacting with relevant content and engaging with others in a professional manner can help advance employment and professional growth opportunities.
In reply to Ahmed Shah

by Soukaina Farhoun -
I like your answer. For finding employment, online job boards like Indeed and LinkedIn Jobs, along with checking out company websites directly, have been my go-to resources. Networking through events and platforms like LinkedIn has also proven fruitful for discovering job leads through referrals. When preparing for job interviews, I make sure to thoroughly research the company and job role, practice common interview questions, and dress professionally. Additionally, I actively participate in social networks like LinkedIn and Twitter to connect with industry professionals, stay updated on trends, and potentially discover new job opportunities through networking and engagement
In reply to First post

by Phillimon Nkhoma -

1. There are a number of platforms for job openings such as LinkedIn, Indeed, Upwork and many more.  These types of platforms are made for employment-related activities. They consist of a lot of information and opportunities that help their users with their desired career path.
  2. To properly prepare for a job interview one should be able to dress well to fit the position  and should draft responses to possible questions, especially to questions that may be difficult to answer.  
  3. I would use LinkedIn to follow companies that I am interested in and subscribe to groups.
In reply to First post

by Oyedoyin Oladapo -
There are many platforms for job openings such as LinkedIn, Indeed, Upwork and many more. These types of platforms are used for searching job opportunity and connections.
They consist of a lot of information and opportunities that help their users with their desired career path.

To properly prepare for a job interview one should be able to
do research about the organization to get details information, practice likely questions and be confident. Dress well to fit the position and be well organized.
I would use LinkedIn to follow companies that I am interested in and subscribe to groups.
In reply to First post

by Virginia Michael -
1. I have used Zip recruiter, Indeed.com, LinkedIn and Facebook to search for past jobs and I would still use it in the future because it is reliable and consist of lots of information and opportunity.
2. When preparing for a Job interview you should consider dressing properly and also prepare response to possible question for the job interview.
3. I would use Facebook, LinkedIn to follow companies, groups and pages that I am interested in to get information about job opportunity that I can apply.
In reply to First post

by Ambrasha Mask -

I have utilized mainly job boards in my past searches for employment. I am interested in developing relationships with managers, vice president, or other well-placed contacts in a desired company or organization. The new found relationships may lead to job opportunities tath may not have been available to me otherwise. As a recent graduate I am embarking on a search for internships. The internship can be a valuable career-development tool, providing an opportunity to learn and implement key skills. As I will be entering a new career it is important to me that I am able to demonstrate my abilities in a low-stake position while making useful connections,  and to determine if this type of work is a good fit for your career.  

The steps that would benefit me most in preparing for a job interview are:

• Expect the hard questions and draft my responses in advance
  • Admit when I do not know the answer to a question, offer to find it, and get it back to the asker as quickly as possible.
  • Take my time when answering questions
  • Remember to pause, think, and then answer.
  • Project enthusiasm for my ideas and goals

I have participated in the social network, LinkedIn. Which is a free social network with a primarily business bent. I can connect with other professionals, track friends and colleagues as they progress in their careers, network for employment opportunities, post a resume to help employers to find me, join professional groups in fields my chosen field.I can research company listings, follow their postings for company news and job openings, and gain insights into a company’s activities and developments.I have also utilized Facebook's platform as well. Many companies have Facebook pages that I can like and visit to follow their in-house news.  I may develop select circles of friends and colleagues who share employment leads, career tips, training opportunities, and the like. I have found I have a strong preference for LinkedIn above all else.

In reply to First post

by Soukaina Farhoun -
For finding past employment, I have primarily used online job boards like LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor, as well as company career websites. These platforms offer a wide range of job listings across various industries and allow me to filter based on location, job title, and other preferences. Additionally, I have networked with professionals in my field through LinkedIn and attended career fairs and networking events to explore job opportunities.

In preparing for a job interview, the most beneficial steps include researching the company and the role thoroughly, practicing responses to common interview questions, and preparing questions to ask the interviewer. Additionally, it's essential to dress appropriately, arrive on time, and demonstrate confidence and enthusiasm during the interview. Mock interviews with friends or family members can also help improve interview performance.

I have participated in social networks like LinkedIn, Twitter, and professional forums related to my field. These networks provide opportunities to connect with industry professionals, join relevant groups, and participate in discussions and knowledge-sharing. I can leverage these networks for advancing my employment and professional growth opportunities by showcasing my expertise, engaging with industry trends, and building meaningful connections with potential employers or collaborators. Additionally, I can use these platforms to stay updated on job openings, share relevant content, and establish myself as a thought leader in my field.
In reply to First post

by Stephen Obiri-Ibe -
I have used different job boards to find job openings such as LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. These platforms are good for job seekers and for those looking to build connections as they can network with other people in their field and industry.

When it comes to preparing for job interviews, the first thing to do is to thoroughly research the company and the role description. Practice interview questions, prepare answers to those questions and prepare questions to ask the interviewer. Be confident, enthusiastic, maintain good eye contact and body language. Don’t be in a haste to give an answer, use time to your advantage by pausing and thinking before giving an answer.

I have used social networks like LinkedIn which helps me connect with other professionals, colleagues, network for opportunities that help me connect with industry professionals, join relevant groups, stay up to date with industry trends and job openings.
In reply to First post

by MARY EFEH -

I’ve used many resources available in finding jobs  and LinkedIn is one of the social networking I’d used

When preparing for a job interview,it is beneficial to dress appropriately, practice what to say and draft out your responses in advance. 

For social networks,LikedIn is one of the best social networking and it provides many opportunities for people to post rusmes,join online professional groups and help potential employers find those in need of a job. 

In reply to First post

by Shiela Maree Pino -
1. **Employment Resources**:
I've used online job boards like LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor to find job opportunities. These platforms offer a wide range of listings, making it easy to explore options. I've also used LinkedIn to connect with professionals, join groups, and stay updated on industry trends. In the future, I'll continue using these resources for their extensive reach and ability to customize searches. Networking on LinkedIn and attending industry events are also valuable for finding new opportunities and building connections.

2. **Preparing for a Job Interview**:
Preparation for a job interview involves:
- Researching the company and job description
- Practicing common interview questions
- Preparing questions for the interviewer
- Dressing appropriately and arriving early
- Bringing necessary documents and following up with a thank-you email or note.

3. **Participation in Social Networks**:
I'm active on LinkedIn, Twitter, and professional forums. These networks allow me to engage with peers, share knowledge, and stay updated on trends. To advance professionally, I'll:
- Build a strong LinkedIn profile
- Engage with industry leaders
- Join relevant groups and share valuable insights
- Share relevant content and attend networking events for career growth opportunities.
In reply to First post

by Bayode Yejide Oluwafunmilola -
For finding past employment and considering future job opportunities, I've used LinkedIn, Indeed, and manual mail submission. I chose LinkedIn because it's great for networking and finding jobs through professional connections. Indeed is helpful because it gathers a lot of job listings in one place, making it easy to apply. Manual mail submission is more traditional but lets me directly target specific companies, which can leave a personal impression.

To prepare for a job interview, it’s crucial to read up and equip myself with adequate information about the company and the role I'll be doing. Discussing how my skills can contribute to the growth of the company is also a key step.

I've participated in several social networks, but for professional growth, I've primarily used LinkedIn. It's been useful for connecting with other professionals, following companies, joining groups related to my industry, and engaging with content that helps advance my career.
In reply to First post

by Nkalle Peter -
The resources i have used for finding past employment or future position are; Linkin, Indeed,Job board etc.I choose these platforms because it's authentic, helpful to all users,and has easy access for quit and effective employment.

When preparing for a Job interview I will make sure I dress professionally, that's well dress and I must be polite,ready mature ,and calm in my words and my approach tackling questions.
The social network I have participated includes,the Linkin.This platform will help me to search for competent companies i am interested in and subscribed to the platforms,that will share great opportunities i can apply.
In reply to First post

by gabriela fabris -
1. For my current job I have used manual mail submission CV

-Dress professionally and appropriately for the industry and company culture
-Remember to pause, think, and then answer
-Researching the company and job description

I would use LinkedIn to follow companies that I am interested, connect with professionals and stay update on industry trends