1.1 Discussion

Make forum posts: 1

1.1 Discussion

Number of replies: 8

1. Do you agree with the differences in the definitions of ethics and morals? Why or why not? 
  2. What would you add to these definitions? What would you delete from them?

In reply to First post

Re: 1.1 Discussion

by Christopher chris -
1. Ethics and Morals refer to the right and wrong behaviors and conduct while they are sometimes used interchangeably. Ehtics refers to rules provided by an eternal sources, While Morala refer to an individuals principle regarding right and wrong. I agree. You know what the right thing is, You do the right thing, For the right reasons.

2. No, I would not change anything because ethics and morals were written by philosophers who formulated these principles who am I to change anything
In reply to First post

by Kyla Mae Capal -
1. I do agree with the differences in the definition of ethics and moral, as the differences can be attributed to a combination of linguistic nuances, philosophical perspectives, cultural diversity, interdisciplinary variances, everyday language use, and historical context. Language is inherently dynamic, and the meanings of words can shift across regions, cultures, and academic disciplines

2. To refine these definitions, one could emphasize that ethics typically involves the study and application of systematic principles governing behavior in specific domains like professions, institutions, or societies. Additionally, morals could be specified as personal beliefs about what is right or wrong, often shaped by individual values, culture, or religion. It might be beneficial to delete any rigid demarcation between the terms, recognizing the fluidity in their usage and the fact that, for many, they are used interchangeably in everyday language. This approach allows for a more nuanced understanding that considers both the systemic and personal aspects of ethical considerations.
In reply to First post

by asifa shaikh -
1. I do agree with the differences in the definition of ethics and moral, as the differences can be attributed to a combination of linguistic nuances, philosophical perspectives, cultural diversity, interdisciplinary variances, everyday language use, and historical context. Language is inherently dynamic, and the meanings of words can shift across regions, cultures, and academic disciplines

2. To refine these definitions, one could emphasize that ethics typically involves the study and application of systematic principles governing behavior in specific domains like professions, institutions, or societies. Additionally, morals could be specified as personal beliefs about what is right or wrong, often shaped by individual values, culture, or religion. It might be beneficial to delete any rigid demarcation between the terms, recognizing the fluidity in their usage and the fact that, for many, they are used interchangeably in everyday language. This approach allows for a more nuanced understanding that considers both the systemic and personal aspects of ethical considerations.

In reply to First post

by Gale Wollerman -
1. Yes, I do agree with the differences in the definitions of ethics and morals because ethics always come from an outside source. For instance, I have to take a required training in our company's ethics every year. The ethics training remind the employees that it is important for the company as well as the individual employee to live and work by these ethics in order to maintain healthy ties between the company and individual and the individual and and the client. I agree with the definition given for morals. Most individuals are taught moral from their parents or the community around them. So, not an outside source or regulation but a way to maintain and exist in a family or like family unit.
2. I would add more examples of what outside sources constitute in the definition for ethics. I would not delete anything for either definition.
In reply to First post

by Jessica Ross -
1. I do agree with the differences between the definition of ethics and morals. Ethics are rules and guidelines what are designed to keep us all unified in a common area. These come from outside sources. Morals are feeling and beliefs that normally come from how you feel within and you decide what is good or bad and right or wrong.

2. I think the only thing I would add is just better/ more examples. It can be hard to distinguish the difference sometimes because they are so similar. I would not take away from them at all.
In reply to First post

by Sabina Yusupova -
I agree that there are differences in the definitions of ethics and morality, although these concepts are closely related.

ethics is generally viewed as the systematic study of what is right and wrong and the principles that should guide our behavior. it focuses on the theoretical foundations and philosophical principles underlying moral judgments.

morality, on the other hand, refers to practical norms and rules of behavior that determine what is right or wrong in specific situations. morality is more focused on everyday life and the application of ethical principles.

I would add that ethics also includes the study of how we should live and what values ​​should guide our actions. it addresses more fundamental questions about the nature of goodness, justice, duty and responsibility.

As for morality, I would emphasize that it not only determines what is right or wrong, but also influences our emotions, attitudes and behavior. morality is closely related to cultural, religious and social norms.

Overall, I believe that ethics and morality are complementary concepts that together help us understand how we should live and act. they play an important role in shaping our worldview and guiding our decisions and actions
In reply to First post

by Renalyn Nastor -
1. For me, I agree with the given definitions between ethics and morals since that it is clearly stated that to have moral is what it makes to do it right based on personal perceptions. Whereas, ethics is something to follow what is right according to the general moral standards and acceptable by many.
2. For me, those definitions is enough so far unless that there is a new situation or dilemma that needs to be question and asking why and how does it exist or happend, and make a conclusion out of it.