What to Wear to an Interview
This article gives tips on how to look your best for an interview, and how to dress to make a positive first impression.
Interview Clothes: Do’s and Don’ts
What are the first thoughts when you get the interview call?
- What do I need to bring?
- How long?
- What am I going to wear?
Remember, you only have one chance to make a good first impression. You practice what you are going to say with sample interview questions. Practice for the first impression with a plan on what you are going to wear.
How you dress for an interview depends upon the position for which you are applying. Research the business clothes suitable for the job. One way to do that, if you have time before the interview, is to go to the location at the beginning of the day or end of the workday and watch what people are wearing as they enter and leave the building. You accomplish two things: You find out how long the drive is so that you can arrive on time for your interview; and, you get to see how people dress who already have the job.
- Dress conservatively and to the proper job level
- Wear clean and pressed clothing
- Make sure your clothes are the proper fit for your body type
- Update wardrobe with timeless basics
- Use accessories to express style and flair
- Wear flattering colors
- Wear items that will draw negative attention
- Wear too much cologne or smell like smoke
- Avoid trendy clothing styles
- Always pick black – navy, brown or grey may be more flattering.
- Wear scuffed shoes
- Wear to much flashy jewelry, designer labels, or political ties, clips or pins
- Be too casual – ever!
Suggestions for Women
- Pant suits with a conservative blouse
- Knee length skirt suit or dress
- Hose are no longer required. In winter, opaque tights are encouraged with boots.
- Purchase investment pieces that mix and match with other items.
Suggestions for Men
- Wear a power tie in red, blues, yellows, black and mauve in a solid, small design or wide stripe.
- Flat front pants are slimming.
- Two button coats are slimming
- Wear complementary colors
The first impression only happens once. Make it a great one!
Source: Illinois workNet, https://apps.il-work-net.com/ArticleViewer/Article/Index/34/100?AppCall=1&widgetCall=1
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 License.