Parts of Speech Discussion

Part of Speech Discussion

Part of Speech Discussion

by Basirat Ayeni -
Number of replies: 0

Hello, everyone
I'm Basirat Ayeni

From the resources passage, I have learned some new insights in the use of preposition.

A prepositional phrase is a group of words that behaves as an adjective or an adverb, modifying a noun or a verb. Prepositional phrases contain a preposition (a word that specifies place, direction, or time) and an object of the preposition (a noun phrase or pronoun that follows the preposition).

I also find this part useful and informational 

The overuse of prepositional phrases often occurs when our thoughts are jumbled and we are unsure how concepts or ideas relate to one another. If you are preparing a report or a proposal, take the time to organize your thoughts in an outline before writing a rough draft. Read the draft aloud, either to yourself or to a colleague, and identify areas that are rambling or unclear.

Example

The treasure lay buried under the old oak tree, behind the crumbling fifteenth-century wall. In the nearby schoolyard, children played merrily during their lunch hour, unaware of the riches that remained hidden beneath their feet.

In front of these words are the part of speech they belong.

The (article) treasure (noun) lay (verb)  buried (verb) under (preposition) the (article) old (adjective) oak (adjective) tree(noun), behind (preposition) the(article) crumbling (adjective) fifteenth-century (adjective, compound) wall (noun). In (preposition) the (article)  nearby (adjective) schoolyard (noun), children (noun) played (verb) merrily (adverb)  during (preposition) their (pronoun) lunch hour (noun), unaware (adjective) of (preposition) the (article) riches (noun) that (pronoun) remained (verb)  hidden (adjective) beneath (preposition) their ( adjective) feet (noun).