Discussion: Social Networking and the Workplace

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: Social Networking and the Workplace

Number of replies: 9

Reflect on the social networking article that you just read. Is social networking, as a business activity, part of your workplace responsibilities? Do you feel that personal social networking activities are conducted too much during the workday, distracting employees from their duties? Why or why not? Share your thoughts on the discussion forum by clicking on the link above and creating a (free) account, if you have not already done so. Read the responses that other students have posted and post your own comments on the forum. Be sure to take advantage of this opportunity to connect with your peers and to receive meaningful feedback of your own.

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: Social Networking and the Workplace

by Muskan Dagar -

Using social media as a marketing tool by organizations is increasing with time. Social media uses include branding, promotion, customer loyalty programs, and the opportunity for increased sales. Still only a few organizations have formalized these activities into their marketing plans which in current times is important. As much as social media networking is essential for an organization, it should never exceed the limit where it starts distracting the employees from their duties. A balance is necessary. 

In reply to First post

by Tony Grimsley -

Using various methods in networking,  theses tools have changed the normal landscape of what networking looks like now compared to how it was implemented in the past.

In reply to First post

by Anna Cotza -
The use of social networks has become very important in the workplace, but it constitutes a communication channel, certainly not the only one. Moreover, in certain areas of activity, direct interpersonal communication still remains very important.
In reply to First post

by Inaki Villa -
At present, maintaining a productive work environment may depend on us establishing the correct balance between the advantages of social networking for business and reducing distractions. This is essential for all organizations to maximize networking through social networks since most of us these days are all connected to it.
In reply to First post

by Kathleen Clark -
In previous positions, I was responsible for managing our company's Facebook sites. I now manage the employees that manage our social media sites so I monitor the sites for content, engagement, and comments from the public. I've maintained a separation between my personal social media and my company's social media. I do not befriend colleagues or clients as I want to protect my privacy and need a boundary between my work and non-work life.

As I have responsibilities related conducting performance evaluations of employees and decisions related to pay and promotions, I do not want information that I have witnessed on someone's social media of activities they participated in during their non-work time to cloud my judgement or create bias in my decision making.
In reply to First post

by Rebeca Ramirez -
In the workplace, social networking is very important and part of your brand. Especially in management, its important to attend networking events and encourage your team to do so. In all the events I have attended, I have made great NEW connections that will help my career.
In reply to First post

by Goitom Desaley -
Social networking in the workplace presents both opportunities and challenges. Here's a brief discussion on the topic:
Opportunities:
Communication and Collaboration: Social networking platforms enable employees to communicate and collaborate more effectively across departments and geographical locations. This can lead to increased productivity and innovation within the organization.
Knowledge Sharing: Employees can use social networks to share ideas, best practices, and industry insights. This facilitates learning and professional development, ultimately benefiting the organization as a whole.
Employee Engagement: Social networking platforms can help foster a sense of community and belonging among employees. Engaged employees are more likely to be motivated, loyal, and committed to the organization's goals.
Challenges:
Distraction: Excessive use of social networking sites during work hours can lead to distractions and decreased productivity. Managers need to establish clear guidelines and expectations regarding appropriate use of social media in the workplace.
Data Security and Privacy: Social networking platforms may pose risks to data security and privacy if not properly managed. Organizations must implement robust cybersecurity measures and educate employees about the importance of safeguarding sensitive information.
Negative Behavior: Social networking sites can sometimes be used for spreading rumors, cyberbullying, or engaging in unprofessional behavior. Managers should monitor online interactions and address any instances of misconduct promptly and appropriately.
In reply to First post

by Julie LaRock -
Social media has changed dramatically from the time that I started my first Facebook page in 2004. Back then social media was predominately entertainment and fun. I certainly spent too much time on social media back then, scrolling, commenting and counting likes! I can only imagine that it has gotten worse today in some ways; however, social media does function as an asset now in branding, information, networking among other opportunities. While it is time consuming, I think that achieving a balance is necessary. The issue I face now is just the overwhelm of keeping up with so many platforms. I see it as more an aspect of my business now, and so it feels more like work than fun. It has been quite beneficial.