Discussion: Unit 2

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: Unit 2

Number of replies: 33

What are some examples of problems you or someone you know may have had with a company based on a faulty product or service? How did it get resolved?

Consider a situation where you had to deal with an angry person. How did you handle it? What might you have done differently using some of the methods described in this unit?

What sorts of diversity do you find in your immediate environment of family, friends, work, school, groups, and so on? How do you best interact with the differences in cultural backgrounds and behaviors?

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: Unit 2

by Samantha Tait -
My boss bought a new product at work to try, when we got the product it did not work properly. We called the customer service number and talked to them about it they then said they were going to send us another product free of charge because the one we received was faulty. The customer service employee knew exactly how to make the situation we were in better so we would not be completely against ordering from them again.

When I was covering one of my co-workers at the front desk which is not where I normally work I had to call a patient to remind them of their appointment with us. When the patient answered and I was confirming they were coming in that day, the patient snapped at me and said her appointment was not that day it was the following week. Instead of arguing with her about it because I knew she was supposed to come in, I said oh I'm sorry let us see if we have that time on that day next week still available and you can come in then, no worries! I scheduled her for that day and she still wasn't happy, so I asked if there was a different time that would work better for her, which we then decided on and she seemed happier. Something I could have done differently was to make sure she heard my apology and before hanging up apologize again even though she put it in her calendar wrong, it is best to just accept what she is saying and make the customer happy and make sure they hear the apology.

Also at work, we treat a variety of people from different cultures, if someone comes in as a patient in our office we make them feel welcomed and accepted for who they are and where they come from no matter what their culture is. We also remain open-minded to their culture and their beliefs even though they might not align with ours. If they are uncomfortable in any situation we work out a solution on how to fix the problem to the best of our ability so they will come back feeling comfortable.
In reply to First post

by GRAIL APIABSEH -

There was a time I'd to purchase a brand new I-7 laptop which was very expensive. Because of its fast speed and its storage capacity, I was highly attracted to it  as a customer would normally be. As I got home, I decided that the first step was  testing its features; then when I'd finished checking almost all its features, I'd to share and transfer all my files, pictures frome my previous computer to my newly bought  home computer. Assuming the computer would perform well without any defects,  I continued utilising it; then all of a sudden, it malfunctioned;  worst of all, it turned off automatically and couldn't come on . Mad as  I was, I  immediately contacted the computer support, and they gave me steps to follow; unsatisfactorily, the steps didn't work.  So I headed back to the same shop, met vis a vis with one of the CSWs and posed my issue . And in no delay, he demanded a replacement be given to me.

I remember I had a vis a vis interaction with  a hot tempered man; he was unbelievable, impatient and worse of all verbally insulting.  I  was to have his documents printed to same copies,  unfortunately,  the printing didn't come out as expected. The printer had some defects which were: ink printed on the paper couldn't be easily readable to the eye, certain unwanted characters started appearing or instead of a paper filled text, rather it was the opposite.  Also on my part, I forgot to set the appropriate size and paper orientation for the papers he'd mentioned; as a result,  he bursted out and vented a little.  Notwithstanding his ill-mannered ways, I went on straight  to behaving the demanding positive way such as:  I apologised immediately as I saw it was obviously my mistake,  acknowledging my mistakes . Because of what had happened, I  gave his  documents and refunded his money back- and he left.  Based on what I have learnt in this unit, I can add to what I constantly apply on my everyday basis. Diversity is so abundant that it is found in the workplace,  at home; family,  friends; at school or groups etc. At my workplace,.....I interact with so many diverse customers ; that I feel as to start  a friendly conversation or tone almost nonstop- and they responding to me in kind! 

Attachment 20180922 Customer Service Center in Beisita Station.jpg
In reply to First post

by Michael Bernardi -
Thinking back, an example I've come across is when I bought a pair of Apple Air pods at the store and when I got home I tried to use them but they weren't working so I brought them back and they gave me a new pair and made sure they worked before I left but also gave me a 10 dollar gift card for the inconvenience

I work as a server in a restaurant, and there was a situation where a table in my section waited for half an hour before I was aware that they had been seated, as the host failed to inform me. Once I realized this, I went over to apologize. Despite their visible frustration and anger, I remained calm, listened to their concerns, and explained that the mistake was on our end. I reassured them that we acknowledged the error and to make things right offered to cover the cost of their appetizer as a gesture for the inconvenience. Fortunately, things worked out in the end, and we resolved the situation.
In reply to First post

by Hailekiros Abera -
My wife ordered an item from TEMU, the online marketplace, and they delivered a defective item. When she called customer service, the representative was not helpful in addressing the issue. As a customer she felt her situation was handled properly and decided not to order from TEMU anymore.

As a teacher, I deal with students, and I treat them as a customer with a need to be addressed. Sometimes, I have to deal with angry students with no fault of mine. But since students are my customers, I will turn the interaction to a focus on fixing the issue at hand by empowering my students by trying to look for a suitable solution, by staying calm and listening to their problem. I will try to understand the reason for their outburst and address it accordingly by assuring them that I am on their side.

My workplace is a diverse place, and I am very comfortable interacting with people from a wide range of cultural and demographic background. I set aside preconceived notions of “correct” behavior while respecting the cultural or demographic differences of my coworkers.
In reply to First post

by Churchill Eze -

1. One issue I can recall is that a relative purchased earphones that turned out to be faulty. The product was returned to the store. After explaining the fault, the customer service representative agreed to replace the product with one that works without fault.
  2. An ideal method to apply when dealing with an angry individual is not to tell the person to calm down. Apologizing would be more effective and/or allowing the person to vent for some time to de-escalate the issue.
  3. Some of the people I am close to are of different nationalities and religions. I avoid imposing my personal beliefs when interacting with them.
In reply to First post

by FAICAL ABASSISSE -
Faulty Product/Service:
A friend received a defective electronic device. They contacted customer support, explained the issue, and received a replacement promptly.
Dealing with an Angry Person:
In a professional setting, a colleague expressed frustration. I actively listened, acknowledged their concerns, and collaboratively sought a solution. Applying de-escalation techniques from this unit could enhance such interactions.
Diversity Interaction:
In various environments, diversity is evident. I engage respectfully, value different perspectives, and actively seek to understand cultural nuances, fostering an inclusive environment.
In reply to First post

by Ebony Gregory -
I ordered a toy for my daughter and when we received it, it was damaged. I called their customer service number immediately and explained the situation. They apologized, sent me a return barcode to my phone and directed me to the nearest drop center for return while simultaneously express shipping us out another one.

Once when I worked in cellular, I had a customer come in with a broken phone. He was extremely irate because of the treatment he received at an authorized dealer (not an official store). He was refused a replacement phone even though that was the store who originally sold him the phone. First I greeted him, he let loose on me about his horrible experience. I simply nodded my head and maintained eye contact for a bit, then I jumped in and offered him a solution. What I would have done differently is after greeting him, I would have apologized for his bad customer service experience and explain to him what an authorized actually was.

Working in Higher Education is very diverse on it's own with having students, faculty and staff form many different backgrounds. I nteract with them by treating them how I would like to be treated.
In reply to First post

by HEAVENLY APIABSEH -

1) I recall a time when one of my friends had organised a party due to her graduation; and so during the party, she received a gift from her parents-ipad and a brand new laptop. Eagerly excited, she opened and begun utilising them, however, prior to the opening, we realised the carton in which the ipad came from was roughly sealed and looked old; nevertheless we ignored it and continued . Then, after their usages for some days, the ipad started showing signs of defects, so she phoned me and told me of the issue; thus when I'd arrived, I endeavoured in the following ways to reviving it- charging, press- holding the power button, detaching and inserting the battery. Yet, my endeavours went in vain; therefore, we resolved in contacting the customer service for aid; then they replied offering us options: snapping the faulty product so as to send it via email, or they offering us to tips in resolving it. So we chose the latter; however it was yet in vain. Thus we headed out for their office, and when we arrived, my friend posed out her issue to a CSW madly and uncontrollably, and regardless of attempts to defuse her, she exploded all the more. Seeing this, the CSW responded in kind too- saying how was she to know a faulty product? Or how was it her fault? Still others seeing the agitation and quarrel persisting, they approached her and apologised, and tried empathising and sympathising with her- they offered her a replacement and said if any problem, she should inform them. While the CSW saw what her colleagues did, she too apologised calmly, and in turn, my friend apologised for her madness and we left

2) My friend and I went out to lunch at a restaurant, so when we arrived, we made our order and it was presented to us. However, when we commenced eating, it had funny smell and tasted like it'd been kept overnight; so we brought it out to the attention of the waiter, but his response was rude and uncalled for. He replied that all we customers do is to complain but never appreciate or show gratitude to  waiters like him; nevertheless we told him if it were nice we'd comment, otherwise we'd criticise. Thus he abruptly left angrily. So we reported it to the manager about the food and the attitude of his employee; and he quickly apologised because he knew it'd be a disgrace for his restaurant- should it repeat itself. He refunded our money and we left.

3) As a student studying both online and offline, I get to meet assorted friends daily and engage with them in cordial conversations, as well as knowing other things- such as lifestyle,  cultures,and customs.  Well, sociating and interacting are the ways I use to interact myself with others, so as to get curiosity or inquisitiveness about their cultures, customs, languages, etc.

Attachment The Empire State Building Shines Blue for MTA Workers (49837644266).jpg
Tags:
In reply to First post

by Goodness Goodnews -
Sometime ago I bought a blender which had a 12 months warranty. The blender burnt the first time I used it. I returned it to the supplier and he bluntly refused to either replace or repair. I never went to that shop to buy anything again .

While working as a customer service officer with the Bank, a customer made a request and left to return in few minutes. I forgot to treat his request until he came back. I was quick to own up and apologized. So I left every other thing to attend to him. He left satisfies.

Because I know what each diversity in my environment entails, I treat them the way they want to be treated.
In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
A customer at the sandwich shop I used to work at was upset that her order was wrong. I apologized to her and made sure to make it right the second time.

As far of diversity, I interact with others with different backgrounds by sharing shared interests.
In reply to First post

by Agape C. Bright -

Had some of my clothes sent to the laundry man, on returning them, there was a burnt on one of the clothes, called the company to scream at them for ruining my dress because it wasn't an old dress but the CSW had a way of doing her job well, she sincerely apologized, offered a free laundry to be done for a few times with extra care and it ended there.

At my own place of work, got into a conversation with a not so happy customer, she complained about a product she purchased at the store as though we produced it ourselves. Instead of defending myself or the store, I apologized, inquired if she had used the product before to which she replied 'no'. I discovered she didn't have a sufficient knowledge of the product and only expected it to work in a way. I had to explain the features of the product properly to her, then she realized she had picked a chicken hoping it would swim like a duck. I apologized once again and introduced her to the intended product which she got and was satisfied.

Some diversities I find include how to greet a person...for some people outside my family they are okay with greeting with "Hello/Hi, Mr/Ms....while someone others want to hear you say "Good day, Good morning, Good evening.

I best interact with them by first understanding where they are coming from, observing how they do things and following accordingly.

In reply to First post

by MARY EFEH -

Back then I worked as a waitress in a Chinese restaurant,a family of four came in to eat and everyone placed their order…..while serving them, I brought in a big bowl of soup ordered by the wife on sighting it she flared up and said angrily that NO she didn’t place an order for this, I was quite and remain calm listening to her explanation saying she only view the picture of the soup on my iPad but never choose it, I didn’t argue this with her or make excuses for myself . I felt bad and own up to the mistake and apologize with sincere remorse to the extent that I was close to tears,she insisted she’s not taking it I apologize again and again then the husband talked to her about how sincere I was and finally in a calm voice she said don’t worry I will take it. And while at their service, I make sure I try to return her into a reasonable state of satisfaction that she was lively,and among my colleagues she was so quick to call on me for anything her family needs. And things worked out at the end 

Currently my place of work(The store) is a complete place of diversity and I can say I’m comfortable interacting with different people from different cultural backgrounds like it’s just so easy for me doing that…… I best interact with them base on how I would also like to be treated in return. 

In reply to First post

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
When I worked in a sandwich shop, I had to deal with an angry customer whose order was wrong. I handled it by remaking the order and sincerely apologizing for the mistake. However, reflecting on the methods described in this unit, I could have taken a few additional steps to further improve the situation. For example, I could have actively listened to the customer's concerns and empathized with their frustration. I could have also offered a small gesture of goodwill, such as a discount or a free drink, to show that we valued their satisfaction. These methods would have demonstrated a deeper level of customer care and could have potentially turned the negative experience into a more positive one.
In reply to First post

by Ahmed Shah -
One example of a problem with a company based on a faulty product that I experienced was with a laptop I purchased that kept crashing. I contacted the customer service department and explained the issue, and they asked me to send the laptop back for a replacement. Although it was an inconvenience to be without a laptop for a few days, the company resolved the issue by sending me a new one that worked properly.

In terms of handling an angry person, I try to remain calm and listen to their concerns without interrupting. I validate their emotions and apologize for any inconvenience they may have experienced. I may also offer a solution or compromise to try and resolve the situation. In the future, I could practice active listening more effectively and use techniques such as empathy statements to show the person that I understand where they are coming from.

In my immediate environment, I encounter diversity in terms of cultural backgrounds, beliefs, and behaviors among my family, friends, colleagues, and classmates. To interact with these differences, I try to approach each person with an open mind and willingness to learn about their perspective. I ask questions and engage in conversations to gain a better understanding of their background and beliefs. I also try to be respectful and sensitive to cultural differences, while also celebrating the diversity that enriches our interactions. Overall, I strive to practice empathy, understanding, and acceptance in my interactions with people from diverse backgrounds.
In reply to First post

by Amr Hanafy Abd Elmaged Saleh Abu-zeid -
-I bought an imported luxury mug set product from Amazon Egypt, but I was given a poor local product. I contacted them via email and also contacted the seller, who only apologized and was unable to exchange the product I wanted because fhe was from a far away city From the capital... Therefore, I put the blame on Amazon. Because they could not solve this problem.. and I have not bought any product from them for years
-
In reply to First post

by Kenisha Green -
My father had a problem with a company based on a product because it was poorly packaged and the packages spilled. The problem was resolved by the company taking accountability for the incident and sending another order to makeup for the mishap.

Angry people love solutions the best way I handled an angry person is bringing a better solution to the table and calming them down.

It is a lot of cultural diversity when it comes to my school. I best interact with different backgrounds and behaviors by remaining calm and authentic. My listening skills gave me the ability to sit back and take in a lot when it comes to being in different environments.
In reply to First post

by Phillimon Nkhoma -

• I once bought a new phone which later started malfunctioning due to software issues. I returned to the store. After explaining the way the phone performing  the customer service representative agreed to give me another phone.
  • One of the best tactics to use when dealing with an angry individual is not to tell the person to calm down or to interrupt them when they are venting. Apologizing would be more effective as it helps to defuse the situation.
  • Some of the people I am close to are of different nationalities and religions. I do my level best avoid subjecting my personal beliefs when interacting with them knowing that we're all from different backgrounds.
In reply to First post

by Oyedoyin Oladapo -
My sister bought a power bank from a store and within two weeks, the power stopped working. We returned it to the store since it has warranty.

But the ladies in charge claimed that we spoilt it ourselves and we try to explain that nothing of such happened. After some interaction, the lady collected it and promised to get back to us immediately her boss intervene.
After three days, we are called and another power was given.

I have dealt with angry customers several times without number, but the notion that customer is always right helped me to calm down and due to the nature of the business, real estate, sales of property worth millions of naira. I usually swallow my pride and pay attention to them. The only thing l do say is to get back to them and give them proper details to let them understand our own side.

What l must have done differently from what l learnt is that, l supposed to calm them down that with some certain words such as, " l understand why you're angry" l'm sorry for any  inconveniences that might have caused you" l supposed to make them understand it is what can be solved and it can be done instantly. I should let them know we can do beyond their expectations.

One of the diversities l found in my place of work is the issues of cultural differences. One of the co-workers in my place of work usually react to some norms in the office because the way it's being interpreted in their own language is different. What l use to do is to meet him in one on one first and explain in detail and what somethings means for him to have better understanding and not see it otherwise.
However, is he behaves in some certain ways, l do quickly understand it because of the cultural differences.
In reply to First post

by Virginia Michael -
I bought a pair of shoe for a party, on my way to the party I found out that the sole of the shoe was pulling out. I was so angry that I quickly call the store and I was really mad at the CSW but he didn't say anything other than am sorry, he took a taxi and brought a new shoe to me at that very spot where I was standing within few minute. I was so pleased and satisfied.

When I was working in a Computer venture, we had a customer who came from a very far distance to buy a Printer from our store, we sold the printer to him and he left not knowing that the printer has a factory fault. The following day the customer came back very angry and was venting his anger and frustration on me. I tried to stay calm and I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences. We gave him a new printer and gift him some few ink and the customer left very happy and satisfied.

I work in a diverse place with a range of people from different culture and demography. I try to study them and treat them the way they would like to be treated.
In reply to First post

by Britney Taylor -
I made an online order recently and was super excited to receive it in the mail. I got the notification that the product had been delivered, but when I checked the mailbox, the package was nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, the postal service was unable to help me with the problem, but they suggested I contact the seller, so I did. I messaged the seller, explaining the problem, and she responded promptly, telling me that it is often that a package gets lost, whether it slips between the mail carrier's seat or just simply gets lost in shipping. She agreed to send me a replacement and was very prompt with sending it to me. She never got frustrated or refused to make the problem right, even though it wasn't necessarily either of our faults. A moment when I had some problems with a faulty product sticks out to me. My family and I like to go out to eat on Friday nights, and on one particular Friday night, we went to Cracker Barrel, and one of my siblings ordered pancakes. After a lengthy wait, we finally received our food. The food was hot, the service and waitress were great, but the only problem was that the pancakes were raw. We waved over the waitress and showed her the problem, and she was swift to replace the pancakes- this time fully cooked. She also threw in a small discount on the replacement pancakes and a free drink. I am thankful that I have not experienced any difficult CSWs, even though either of these situations could have taken a different turn.

Throughout my waitressing career, I didn't have many difficult customers. That is, until my last day on the job. I had a couple come in and sit in a booth- it was a particularly busy night. The gentleman wanted a salad, and after I brought his salad, he asked for a type of dressing I'd never heard of. I politely apologized and explained to him that we did not carry this dressing, but I offered him any of the dressings we did have. However, he was very upset we did not have the one he wanted and rejected the rest. He then told me that if we didn't have that dressing, he didn't want the salad. I spoke to my supervisor about what to do and relayed what my supervisor had told me to the gentleman. He could get another side, but he would still have to pay for the salad- per the restaurant's policy. This made him more frustrated, but he asked if we had any baked potatoes to replace the salad with. I had previously told him that we were out of baked potatoes as it was a very busy night and baked potatoes were the top-selling side, but he seemed to forget. I reminded him, and he then threw his hands up and yelled out something like, "Well, does this restaurant have ANYTHING?". I understood his frustration- he came to a restaurant to have a nice salad, and to his dismay, not only were we unable to fulfill his request, but we also were unable to provide the substitute he requested. As this unit mentioned we should do in a situation like this, I apologized again, explained that I understood his frustrations, and told him the sides we did had again. It is easy to say I did not receive a tip from that couple, but throughout the interaction, I kept myself calm and collected and did not take anything personally.

The restaurant I waitressed at was a multi-cuisine, one of those being Mexican food. We occasionally had a group of Spanish-speaking individuals come in, and I had a very hard time understanding them. Because of the language barrier, I had to come up with different ways to communicate with them like pointing at the dishes they wanted on the menu and using simple Spanish, like numbers and "yes/no". Now, working as a beauty consultant, I work with a lot of older women. Sometimes, even though I am following the dress code, they make comments about my clothes, hair, and makeup, which again, I don't take personally. I recognize this is most probably because they grew up when ways were different than they are now. I simply respond that these are the new styles and what I like, and usually, they are understanding. These are examples of cultural and language diversity as well as age-related diversity.
In reply to First post

by amy nunez -
I’ve had a situation when I purchased a TV and when it arrived it was crashed from the bottom. I had to get in touch with customer service and had to go through this long process of taking pictures and sending them, then waiting on the approval of getting a refund or a new TV.

I had a situation at work with an angry customer. I do very good with customers and a lot of the times I make sure they feel heard. One time, a customer complained to me how she never has paid for her prescriptions, “EVER “according to her. So, when I ringed up all her 4 prescriptions, and there was a copay of $10.79, she went full on hulk with me. I explained to her that this prescription she has gotten a while back and that her insurance does not pay this prescription, calmly. She then begins to yell at me that it was my fault and that its totally ridiculous she has to pay when according to her, “has NEVER paid before.” Before my patience left, I walked away to grab the pharmacist so that a pharmacist could explain to her the situation. But the customer continues to yell at my pharmacist because according to her it’s the pharmacist job to contact her insurance and have her insurance pay for her prescription. Long story short, I had to get my coworker ring her up, because my patience had left at that point. I don’t think I would do anything different, other than not help her that day and have another coworker help her from the beginning.

I am both fluent in English and Spanish. I love helping both English-speaking people and Spanish speaking people. Every time a Hispanic person sees me their face enlightens to know that they can speak comfortably about their needs and be both heard and helped. I always make sure my customers are heard, understood, and helped in both languages.
In reply to First post

by Ambrasha Mask -
I have fallen victim to a defective service which unfortunately turned me into that extremely agitated customer. I had placed an order on Walmart.com for a product through a third-party supplier. I placed the order three months before Christmas to allow enough time for the shipment to arrive. The gaming PC was the only thing on his Christmas list so we purchased it for him. I noticed the shipment kept getting delayed so I reached out to Walmart which directed me to the distributor, and back and forth. Finally, three days before Christmas I received a cancellation notice sparking the continuous cycle of calls, redirects, and no answers. I was finally told that I must have cancelled, which I was sure I had not leading me to blow my top. They assured me if I reordered the PC they would put a rush and I would receive it on January 3rd, needless to say, I received another cancellation notice with the same outcome. The only resolution I received was waiting for my refund to purchase the PC elsewhere. I left them several horrible reviews.

An example of a time I dealt with an angry person was during my first job at the tender age of 16. I had just arrived at 5 pm for my evening shift after a rough school day when an upset customer stormed up to the counter yelling and screaming. She was upset that she had driven all the way home and realized she had the wrong order. It was my first job as a sensitive teenager who suffered from the "people pleaser syndrome", so I did not handle the verbal abuse well. I tried to help her as best I could before coming to tears. I would take some tips from the important things not to do section. I would be sure not to get angry, despite the personal attack. I would have let her vent a little before initiating steps to resolve the problem.

Diversification In my immediate environment is broad. It is filled with people from multicultural backgrounds. This brings different languages, age groups, genders, and communication styles. To best interact with these differences I turn to the Golden Rule, "Treat others as you want to be treated". I have used this rule since I was a child. I treat everyone with respect and try to make them feel as comfortable as possible. I do not pass judgment on the differences I may encounter.
In reply to First post

by Soukaina Farhoun -
One example of a problem with a faulty product was when a friend received a defective laptop from a company. They contacted customer service, explained the issue, and returned the laptop for a replacement, which was provided promptly. In dealing with an angry person, I've often employed active listening and empathy to understand their concerns and find solutions. Reflecting on methods from this unit, I could have focused more on de-escalation techniques and offered alternative options to address their frustrations. In my immediate environment, diversity exists in cultural backgrounds, beliefs, and behaviors among family, friends, and coworkers. I strive to foster understanding and respect by actively engaging with diverse perspectives, listening attentively, and being open-minded in my interactions.
In reply to First post

by Stephen Obiri-Ibe -
I once had an issue with a company when I made an online payment to reserve a ticket for myself and some friends. On the day of the event, we got there and couldn’t get our tickets cause our names weren’t on the list of people that had made payment to reserve their tickets. We went berserk and I was yelling at them for the most part because I couldn’t understand what was happening and they weren’t handling it as I wanted them to. After some time, the manager came to us and offered an apology before explaining that it was some technical issue and it’s resolved now so we can get our tickets.

I was trying to help this client process an order and the client kept ordering me like I was his staff. He would talk to me without respect and honestly, I got upset and told him I didn’t like the way he was talking to me and then he got mad and said I had no right to tell him what to do and I was there to serve him so I must do whatever he asks me to do. The thing I would have done differently using some of the methods in this unit would be to not get angry in the first place and let him vent a little before initiating steps to resolve the problem and de-escalate the issue.

The best way I interact with people of different ethnicities and culture in my immediate environment is to treat them with respect as I would also want to be treated with respect as well. I also don’t force my beliefs on them.
In reply to First post

by Zaharadeen Yakubu -
I once order a product and i didn't receive it I had to contact customer service and after series of recommendations the agent had to send me a new product with the agreement that if at anytime I receive my first order I will pay for the one he is sending and if I didn't receive it then the new product his sending will serve as a replacement for my initial order and I was also giving a discount on my next order to compensate for my time wasted

There was a time I send a product to a client and he never received it and he called angrily complaining bitterly I only apologise and rectify the issue then assured him it will never happen again.
I should have given the customer a follow up call to ask how well his finding the product and if he has any suggestions he will like the management to look into then also offer a discount on next offer while I apologise again for inconveniences caused
In reply to First post

by Shiela Maree Pino -
I haven't personally encountered many issues with faulty products or services, but I recall a situation where a friend of mine purchased a defective smartphone from a well-known electronics company. The phone malfunctioned shortly after purchase, and despite multiple attempts to troubleshoot and repair it, the issue persisted. Frustrated with the lack of resolution, my friend contacted the company's customer service department and explained the situation in detail. After some back-and-forth communication and providing proof of purchase, the company agreed to replace the defective phone with a new one, free of charge. The resolution took some time, but ultimately my friend was satisfied with the outcome.

Regarding dealing with an angry person, I once encountered a situation at work where a customer became increasingly upset due to a billing error. Initially, I attempted to calm the customer down by listening attentively to their concerns and empathizing with their frustration. However, as the customer's anger escalated, I found it challenging to maintain composure and effectively address the issue. In hindsight, I realize that I could have utilized some of the techniques described in this unit, such as active listening, maintaining a calm demeanor, and offering solutions to resolve the problem. By focusing on de-escalating the situation and providing practical solutions, I believe I could have handled the encounter more effectively.

In my immediate environment, I encounter a diverse range of cultural backgrounds and behaviors among family, friends, colleagues, and classmates. I strive to interact with these differences respectfully and openly, recognizing the value that diversity brings to our interactions and relationships. I make an effort to listen actively, ask questions to better understand perspectives different from my own, and approach interactions with empathy and an open mind. Additionally, I seek opportunities to learn about different cultures, traditions, and customs, which helps me appreciate and respect the diversity present in my environment.
In reply to First post

by Bayode Yejide Oluwafunmilola -
One time, I had a situation where I tried to order cakes from a place I had ordered from before because I knew their cakes were really nice. However, the customer service rep who attended to me on the phone and via chat was very impatient and curt. It seemed to be a consistent pattern and not just a one-off. I went ahead and placed my order because I already knew the quality of their product, but if it had been my first time, I likely wouldn't have completed my purchase.

In another instance, I had to deal with an angry customer because a dispatch rider who was delivering an urgent order had a bad accident. The customer had a flight to catch and kept yelling over the phone. I contacted my manager, and we decided to deliver the products ourselves, along with some compensatory products and lots of apologies, before going to the hospital where the dispatch rider was admitted.

Regarding diversity, I find myself surrounded by a wide range of people in my immediate environment. To best interact with these differences, I am firstly mindful of the culture, sensitive to the client's tone and body language at the moment, and then work towards respectfully matching their energy in a way that is beneficial to both the customer and the company.
In reply to First post

by etsegenet_ abeje -
once i faced with difficult situation and angry customer due to the situation. that was a network problem and i am not capable enough to fix it so i told to my supervisor and we call technician and the problem was on the process to fix the customer is very tired of waiting so we convince him to go to his work place after we get his address so finally we deliver the service on his place on free.

I also find some language different on my work places so at that time that diversity was solved by using translator to write and verbally communicate also.
In reply to First post

by gabriela fabris -
I bought some Christmas decorations online and they delivered 3 peaces totally different, I call customer service they apologize for the confusion, unfortunately they didn't have what I want so they said that I can keep my money for the inconvenience and I don't have to return the other decoration.

Few months ago I had a angry customer, the things that she bought was for a special occasion just broke and ruined the surprise, she didn't want a replacement and nothing from the store, I listened and listened them I apologize, I let she know that if I was in her place I was angry too, I can't change what happens but for some reason I was there with her, " I'm here to help you" "I want to make you happy" I offered some discount and full recommend another collection. she back the other day.
I am comfortable interacting with people from different countries or culture, I let them know something I like from his food or sports or places, I tell them that I love to learn, and always asked if I explained correctly and never asked if they understood what I said.
In reply to First post

by Peter Alferieff -
I bought a new iphone that had some problems after a few months (just being glitchy), and I brought it back to the shop. They spent a bit of time looking at and testing it, then said: We're just going to give you a new one". I was fully prepared to have to argue with them or listen to some lame excuses, so I was very happy with the outcome. Definitely scored some major points with me as a consumer.

I once had an angry customer in a restaurant where I was working who received a wrong order. She was loud and rude about the whole situation. I reacted very calmly and worked to rectify the situation. My calmness seemed to make her even more angry. Apparently she was looking for a more heated confrontation. I eventually had the manager come over and deal with her.

I've spent quite a lot of time living in another country as well as the US, so I'm very aware of and used to navigating cultural and language differences. Its very important to follow accepted cultural norms wherever you are, if you want a positive interaction. Trying to force your own cultural norms on others will always fail.
In reply to First post

by Keith Frazier -
I had a client who was furious because they did not have access to their 67 million dollar account. They asked why their online account was not working to which I sought several layers of answers. The client was an attorney and the funds were client funds, so I knew that they would want answers to more questions than what were posed to me initially. Taking the anticipating the needs of the client mindset, I sought answers and proof of the issues at hand. It turns out that the funds were being held by the United States Department of Homeland Security because of a pending matter with one of the firm's clients. I gained access to the legal orders, and sought escalations to allow access to the other portion of the funds that were not related the client with the expectation that the attorney not move assets related to the federal order. I made it a point to be clear with the client at every turn, and also share what was on my mind about next steps along the way to keep the client at bay while sorting through the particulars. Personally diversity is as simple as many people from many places with different views on life. As a CSW, my function is not to debate which way of life is the best way of life, but to empathize and understand that there are many ways to achieve goals and look at life. Helping people should not be stopped or burdened by difference in views politically or otherwise. Sometimes it is important to learn that different cultures hold different traditions for example shaking hands can be offensive to some cultures if the people involved are of different gender and one is married. Other people prefer to be addressed by specific pronouns. It is important to note that communicating clearly makes all the difference and takes away from any possibility of creating an awkward experience with clients. Thank you for taking the time to review this discussion.