Discussion: Responsibility to the Customer

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: Responsibility to the Customer

Number of replies: 19

Imagine you are a customer purchasing a cell phone. The company you have been loyal to for many years is running a special sale which gives you a 2-for-1 deal. However, a news story has just broken which details this company and its employment practices using underage children in an underdeveloped country. Are you still going to purchase phones from this company? Why or why not? If the company corrected the employment practices, would you return as a loyal customer? If not, what would it take for you to return to this company as a customer? Explain your experiences as an ethical consumer.

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: Responsibility to the Customer

by Khya Baldwin -
No, I would consider switching to a different cell phone company.
In reply to First post

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: This forum post has been removed

by JOSHUA NDHLOVU -

I will not buy from this company again, even if it corrects its situation because it is an intentional ethical matter and it corrected the matter for a commercial purpose and to maintain its reputation after the news spread.... An example of this is as a consumer experiment that decided to boycott all companies that support the Zionist-Israeli entity because it is an ethical matter. ...to support an entity that steals the lands of indigenous people and kills children, women and men...this is an unforgivable moral and humanitarian matter.

In reply to First post

by Khya Baldwin -
I would switch to a different cell phone company.
In reply to First post

by GRAIL APIABSEH -

No... I won't!  Becuase, that is clearly going against the law of standard employment ages.  Well, 

I think yes... if it keeps to its promises.     Hmmm.... there's much to say being an ethical consumer:  As an ethical consumer,  I purchase things that are based on  : three factors- goods that are ethically sourced ; ethically made and ethically distributed.   This helps me to participate in a path of responsibility and engage in a sustainable purchasing and eco-friendly path. Moreover,  we are obligated in making decisions that should consider the social, economical and environmental impact on the planet.  To me, that is what ethical consumerism should be  all about!

Attachment HK CSW CMC 永愛道 Misereor Road view Wing Hong Street residential buildings Nov-2013.JPG
Attachment Larissa Delucca.jpg
Attachment MetroTrans BYD Electric Bus (MYS-22358) side view.jpg
Attachment ProtestAndPowerCSW-13.jpg
Attachment Visit to the DWP Customer Service Center in Crenshaw (19133067793).jpg
In reply to First post

by bright uka -
I switch to another phone product
In reply to First post

by Amr Hanafy Abd Elmaged Saleh Abu-zeid -
I will not buy from this company again, even if it corrects its situation because it is an intentional ethical matter and it corrected the matter for a commercial purpose and to maintain its reputation after the news spread.... An example of this is as a consumer experiment that decided to boycott all companies that support the Zionist-Israeli entity because it is an ethical matter. ...to support an entity that steals the lands of indigenous people and kills children, women and men...this is an unforgivable moral and humanitarian matter.
In reply to Amr Hanafy Abd Elmaged Saleh Abu-zeid

by Soukaina Farhoun -
I see your point.. from the customer point of view, I prioritize ethical considerations in my purchasing decisions. If a company's actions align with values I find unethical, such as supporting oppressive regimes or engaging in harmful practices, I choose not to support them regardless of any corrective measures taken. For instance, if a company supports the Zionist-Israeli entity, which I view as morally reprehensible due to its human rights violations, I would boycott it regardless of any attempts to rectify its actions for commercial gain. Supporting such entities goes against my moral and humanitarian beliefs, making it impossible for me to forgive or continue purchasing from them.
In reply to First post

by Ambrasha Mask -

As an ethical consumer, the decision to purchase a cell phone from a company that has been revealed to engage in unethical employment practices involving underage children in an underdeveloped country would be deeply troubling and morally conflicting.While the special sale offering a 2-for-1 deal would be gold  for a discount shopper such as myself, the knowledge of the company's exploitative practices would outweigh any potential benefits. Supporting such practices by purchasing products from the company would essentially condone and perpetuate the exploitation of vulnerable individuals, which goes against my ethical values. Even if the company were to correct its employment practices and implement measures to ensure ethical sourcing and labor standards, it would be challenging to regain my trust as a loyal customer. The violation of basic human rights and the exploitation of children leave a lasting stain on the company's reputation, and it would take significant efforts to demonstrate genuine remorse, accountability, and a commitment to ethical business practices.

As an ethical consumer, my purchasing decisions are guided by considerations beyond price and convenience. I prioritize supporting companies that demonstrate social responsibility, ethical conduct, and a commitment to sustainability. This includes conducting thorough research into companies' practices, scrutinizing their supply chains, and holding them accountable for any unethical behavior.

To return as a customer to a company with a history of unethical practices, I would need to see tangible evidence of meaningful change, such as:

Transparent Reporting: The company must provide transparent reports detailing its supply chain practices, including audits, inspections, and corrective actions taken to address labor violations.

Independent Verification: Independent third-party audits or certifications confirming compliance with ethical labor standards and human rights protections would be essential to rebuild trust.

Corporate Accountability: The company should publicly acknowledge its past wrongdoing, accept responsibility, and provide restitution to the victims of labor exploitation.

Sustainable Practices: Demonstrated commitment to sustainable and responsible business practices, including fair wages, safe working conditions, and environmental stewardship, would be crucial factors in rebuilding trust.

Community Engagement: Active involvement in community development initiatives and partnerships aimed at addressing systemic issues of poverty, education, and child welfare in the affected regions would signal a genuine commitment to positive change.

Ultimately, as an ethical consumer, I believe in using my purchasing power to support companies that align with my values and contribute positively to society. While forgiveness and redemption are possible, they must be earned through genuine efforts to right past wrongs and uphold ethical standards.

In reply to First post

by Churchill Eze -

Human rights and customer service

• According to a certain news story, a cellular company that I am a loyal customer of is involved in illegal activity, Which is the outsourcing of child labour in an underdeveloped country. The cellular company was violating several human rights such as the minimum age requirement for an employee, issued by the OSHA, and the ''worst form of child labour convention, NO. 182", created in 1999 by the International Labour Organization.
  • In addition to the company's disregard for child labour laws, they also undermined the consumer's right to be informed. Their lack of transparency has resulted in their loyal customers being unwilling supporters of illegal child labour.
  • As an ethical consumer, I would not support the cellular company's 2-for-1 deal or any other offering. This is due to the illegal practices of the cellular company. The company's reputation and trust value would be damaged by the public news story. All the company leaders and employees who were aware of these illegal practices may be subject to legal repercussions, after an investigation by the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission and other relevant law enforcement agencies.
  • The company might also experience a large percentage of employee and business partner turnover due to a lack of trust. Additional effects might be a loss of profits, as a result of a decrease in sales and production, and negative reviews online.
  • As an ethical customer, I would return to the company as a customer if they were to truly change their employment practices and adhere to basic consumer rights, OSHA, and any other relevant laws. 

For the cellular company to earn back the trust of the public, business partners, and employees they need to make the following changes: 

• The company needs to create a hiring process and work environment that adheres to the laws of child labour.
  • Every individual rendering service/support in any capacity should be compensated fairly.
  • The company needs to uphold all laws issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and the International Labour Organization (ILO).
  • The company should also continually support at least one non-profit organization that specifically caters to children in need. Doing so might help with the restoration of their reputation.

In reply to First post

by amy nunez -
If the company I was being loyal to were using underage children in an underdeveloped country, I would not be purchasing from them ever again. Even if this issue was resolved later on, from the company, I would not return again. From the beginning they should have thought about how disgusting it is to treat kids like adults in such a small age. These kids instead of playing in mud, with toys, or cars are working. As a company, they should be demonstrating empathy and trust into their customers. This company clearly does not care about these kids even if they were to resolve the issue and not do it again, I could not go back. If they were to resolve the issue it would be because of their reputation and the fear of losing their money these customers bring. Maybe in the long run, if I see that the company improves their way of manufacturing their products, I could consider returning. If for instance, they start using safe machines to make the products, or start making a change that can be seen and for the better good, I could consider it. This is why it is very important to gain your customers trust and not lose it because it could be difficult to gain their trust back.
In reply to First post

by Stephen Obiri-Ibe -
As an ethical customer, it's crucial for me to consider the impact of a company's practices on society and the environment. The news about the company's involvement in employing underaged children in an underdeveloped country is deeply concerning and goes against my values. While the 2-for-1 deal may be tempting, supporting such unethical practices would contradict my ethical beliefs.

If the company were to rectify its employment practices and demonstrate a genuine commitment to ethical conduct, it would be a step in the right direction. However, rebuilding trust would require consistent efforts, transparency, and accountability from the company. I would need to see concrete actions, such as investing in fair labor practices, ensuring proper oversight of their supply chain, and actively supporting social responsibility initiatives.

Returning as a loyal customer would depend on the company's ability to show meaningful change and a dedication to ethical standards. It's essential for companies to not only correct past mistakes but also to proactively work towards a sustainable and socially responsible business model. As an ethical customer, I believe in supporting companies that prioritize ethical conduct, transparency, and social responsibility in all aspects of their operations.
In reply to First post

by MARY EFEH -

No I won’t buy from the same company again. The fact that they’re a reputable company,they’re expected to act accordingly to employment practices if truly they care about their customers or consumers. It’s obvious certain act will occur in future even if they corrected the employment practices. 

In reply to First post

by Shiela Maree Pino -
No, I would not purchase phones from this company because I prioritize ethical practices and do not want to support exploitation of underage children. Even if the company corrected its practices, I would hesitate to return as a loyal customer because trust would be compromised. To regain my trust, the company would need to demonstrate long-term commitment to ethical sourcing, transparency, and accountability in its operations. As an ethical consumer, I value companies that prioritize social responsibility and ethical conduct.
In reply to First post

by Oyedoyin Oladapo -
Well, personally, l will purchase from the company, but l will make my stand know by writing to them to do the right thing if they care to yield, but not all people can be like me.
In reply to First post

by Nkalle Peter -
Definitely No,I will choose to move on to another cell phone establishment.
In reply to First post

by Abdon Le Roy Nkada -

I will no longer purchase from this company because of ethical issue. But as they correct it, i can come back and carry on my purchases.