Discussion: Finding and Assessing Sources

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: Finding and Assessing Sources

Number of replies: 81

Consider your experiences with finding and assessing sources. In particular, using a personal experience as an example, discuss whether and to what extent one of the strategies in this section for evaluating sources has been or would have been helpful. Then, share your thoughts on the discussion forum. Make sure to review and respond to other students' posts, as well.

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: Finding and Assessing Sources

by Catherine Quinn -
Considering my own experience with finding and assessing sources, I would say I most often seek out peer-reviewed sources or sources from a trustworthy database. I have only ever sought out sources digitally and often use a database provided by my school. I find that using notable databases of legitimized sources that have been peer-reviewed and fact-checked is a foolproof way to find helpful sources.
In reply to Catherine Quinn

by Paul Vaifanua Jr. -

I totally agree. Relying on peer-reviewed articles are much safer. 

In reply to First post

by Desiree Polo -
By understanding the author's background and potential biases, you can make more informed decisions about the credibility of their information. Remember, no single strategy is foolproof, but using multiple methods like this one can significantly improve your ability to assess the quality of the information you encounter.
In reply to Desiree Polo

by Beato Candundu -
That's correct. Desiree Polo. It would help if the author ia known.
In reply to First post

by Olha Semeniuk -
One strategy for evaluating sources that I find particularly helpful is cross-referencing information from multiple sources. This strategy has been invaluable to me in various academic and professional contexts, especially when conducting research or fact-checking.

For example, when I was writing a research paper on climate change, I came across a study that made bold claims about the impact of deforestation on global warming. Initially, the study seemed credible, with well-presented data and convincing arguments. However, I decided to cross-reference the findings with other reputable sources to ensure their accuracy and reliability.

By consulting peer-reviewed articles, reports from reputable organizations like NASA and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), and expert opinions from climate scientists, I was able to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the topic. Through this process, I discovered that while the study I initially encountered had some valid points, its conclusions were overstated and lacked sufficient evidence to support its claims.

This experience highlighted the importance of cross-referencing information from multiple sources to validate the credibility and accuracy of a source. It also taught me to critically evaluate the methodology, evidence, and expertise behind each source to discern fact from opinion and ensure the integrity of my research.
In reply to Olha Semeniuk

by John Heathcliff -
Olha, that's a really great way to find out what everyone's shared understanding is of a subject and also discover where they diverge.
In reply to First post

by John Heathcliff -
In researching the elements that go into determining how to select the best home loan to buy a house, I did extensive research on the internet. I used it to identify the key elements that can be used to compare one loan offer to another: the stated interest rate; the annual percentage rate, which takes into account the fees the lender is charging; the use of discount fees to lower the stated interest rate rate; the pros and cons of a fixed rate vs an adjustable rate mortgage; and the Federal Reserve's role in determining home loan interest rates. To help me understand these ideas, I relied primarily on websites that are known to provide objective information designed to inform consumers, such as Investopedia which was founded in 1999 to provide clear and simple definitions and terminology designed to help simplify financial decisions for readers in order to help them manage their financial lives. They have strong editorial standards, a financial review board, fact checkers, and have a respected editorial team that manages its content. I also checked the Federal Reserve's website to look at its schedule of meetings in 2024. I also read several articles and discussion boards to understand other people's experience with home loans and lenders. By synthesizing non-biased, factual information with the subjective and personal experiences of others, I was able to get comfortable going out into the marketplace to shop for a home loan.
In reply to John Heathcliff

by Osvaldo De Leon -
Thank you for explaining your experience, I think I would do the same once I have enough money to buy a home! Synthesizing is the key!
In reply to John Heathcliff

by Beato Candundu -
Mr. John Heathcliff, I dare say that your approach to researching content is very clear and to the point. Your research approach reminds me of the time when I had considered buying an automobile, using the internet sites. I had to visit different websites and compare their ads before I could decide to compromise on buying an automobile.
In reply to First post

by Osvaldo De Leon -
I recently graduated with my Masters degree and most of the discussion in this section on the reliability and credibility of sources refreshed my mind about the importance of picking peer-reviewed academic journals such as JSTOR, which is my favorite database entry whenever I search for an article. My academic experience has helped me realized the importance of searching for peer-reviewed articles in ".org, .edu," websites and databases. I think this section in particular should be encouraged by anyone who is interested in research and knowledge in general.
In reply to Osvaldo De Leon

by Jayne Boehme -
Congratulations on attaining your Masters! I am a big fan of the .org and .edu sites as well. I think that you make a good assessment that this information should be dispensed to those in the research and education fields. But I think that everyone would benefit from this information. It is so easy for everyday people to be swayed by an articulate, emotive story or presentation. Unfortunately, people take that without considering why that person was doing that, who paid them, how much they paid them, etc, etc. Obviously it is an ideal for everyone to have such knowledge. Thus, your comment is far more practical. But I would like to encourage anyone who cares about anything to think about their sources in critical ways so that they can actually be that much closer to the truth which is what I think that they are ultimately seeking.
In reply to First post

by Beato Candundu -
Considering my experiences, I have used hardcover documents from libraries. I have also used credible
periodical journals on specific issue for paper.
It is useful for me because the reports that are.found in are not biased to me. The credibility that I have invested into the sources are of trust.
In reply to Beato Candundu

by Jayne Boehme -
Excellent that you are utilizing these sources for the work that you create! It's good/comforting to know that the sources that we use have been through a rigorous process to vet out biases; although, we can be sure that some biases still creep through the cracks.
In reply to First post

by Jayne Boehme -
When I first started looking for information on research topics, I would go to all the wrong places (so it seems now looking back with hindsight). Where there are controversial topics or where there is money to be made, someone is there claiming to be unbiased but totally having an agenda. Therefore, I eventually learned about peer-review and scholarly journals, articles, and books.

Knowing the peer-review process as described in those videos is very helpful. I knew it was rigorous, but didn't realize the rejection rate of articles to a journal. I don't know that it's a perfect system, but it is working well and keeps out a ton of simply terrible material. It is wonderful to be able to rely on our institutions to produce cutting-edge, important scholarly work.
In reply to Jayne Boehme

by Fantasia Wiggins -
I totally agree Jayne. The system may not be perfect, but it works!
In reply to First post

by asifa shaikh -
By understanding the author's background and potential biases, you can make more informed decisions about the credibility of their information. Remember, no single strategy is foolproof, but using multiple methods like this one can significantly improve your ability to assess the quality of the information you encounter.

In reply to First post

by Abdul Wahab -
The reliability of the source could be determined by the author's background. Researching about the author and review their previous work allow a subtle understanding about the reliability of the work.
In reply to First post

by Erin Berger -
With social media-specifically speaking about Tik Tok and Instagram- there is a lot of information being told to the user. This information has the potential to be credible but I believe that a lot of the information is subjective and is coming from people who aren't in authority and that can be incredibly harmful.
In reply to Erin Berger

by Ryan Theobald -
Completly agree. I believe that most individuals are unaware of the sphere of influence they have, particularly over social media platforms.
In reply to First post

by Jose Mendez -
In daily basis when I´m doing a research, I always look for the date when it was published, from whom, the resources of the publisher and if the publisher is an expertise in the subject. Understanding if it was current information and have or not have any bias.
In reply to Jose Mendez

by Emma E Wellington -
This is a really good point; making sure to check the date of relevancy is so important!
In reply to First post

by WLLM12 G -
When researching for my history project, I encountered conflicting information online. Employing the "Check the Author's Credentials" strategy would have been helpful. Knowing the author's expertise and background could have clarified the reliability of the sources and guided me towards more trustworthy information.
In reply to First post

by Rehan Ullah -
When it comes to finding and assessing sources, one strategy that has been incredibly helpful for me is the practice of cross-referencing information from multiple sources. I recall a situation where I was conducting research for a term paper in college. I found a seemingly well-written article online that perfectly aligned with my topic. However, before citing it in my paper, I decided to cross-reference the information with other sources to ensure its credibility.

To my surprise, upon further investigation, I discovered that the article was published on a website known for promoting biased and unreliable information. Had I not cross-referenced the information, I might have unknowingly included inaccurate data in my paper, which could have negatively impacted my academic credibility.

This experience taught me the importance of verifying information from multiple reputable sources before accepting it as accurate. It also highlighted the significance of critically evaluating the credibility of each source, considering factors such as author expertise, publication date, and potential biases.

In the discussion forum, I would share this experience to emphasize the importance of cross-referencing sources in research. I would encourage fellow students to adopt this strategy to ensure the reliability and accuracy of the information they use in their academic work. Additionally, I would be interested in hearing about other students' experiences with finding and assessing sources and learning from their strategies and insights. Engaging in discussions like these allows us to collectively improve our research skills and produce higher-quality work.
In reply to Rehan Ullah

by stacey kavanagh -
I agree cross referencing sources is pivotal in providing accurate information. It also forces the writer to challenge their own bias and see different points of view. This would provide a well rounded approach to presenting information.
In reply to First post

by Daniel Sosa -
One of the strategies I used to evaluate my sources in a previous class was to look for the articles published by University institutions, or with the “.edu” TLD. By doing this, my sources were able to give the claim in my article a stronger argument behind it.
In reply to Daniel Sosa

by diana kydd -
Thanks for the .edu trick, i didn't know about that!
In reply to First post

by Emma E Wellington -
From my own experience, using my school's database of peer-reviewed articles has been very helpful. I also make sure a web address has ".org" ".edu" or ".gov" to make sure it is reliable.
In reply to Emma E Wellington

by Ashley Steigerwaldt -

Good point! Using sources such as .org or .edu is helpful for me as well.

In reply to First post

by Ashley Steigerwaldt -

Working in education, peer-reviewed information sources is critical in offering students accurate and reliable lesson material.

In reply to First post

by stacey kavanagh -
I create powerpoint presentations for work to kick off sales campaigns. I often utilize the internet to come up with different ideas to support the tactics I am presenting. I was not using ADAM and feel by utilizing those questions I would be able to feel my sources are credible.
In reply to First post

by Sanika Bari -
Considering my own experience with finding and assessing sources, I would say I most often seek out peer-reviewed sources or sources from a trustworthy database. I have only ever sought out sources digitally and often use a database provided by my school. I find that using notable databases of legitimized sources that have been peer-reviewed and fact-checked is a foolproof way to find helpful sources.
In reply to First post

by Michael Starnes -
Finding and assessing sources is an essential skill in academia and beyond, particularly in today's information-rich yet sometimes unreliable landscape. One valuable strategy is the CRAAP Test. This approach involves evaluating sources based on several criteria:

First, currency—determining the timeliness of the information by checking its publication or update date. The relevance of a source to your research question is another key consideration, ensuring it directly addresses your needs. Authority is then assessed by evaluating the credibility of the author or publisher, considering their expertise and reputation. Accuracy involves scrutinizing the reliability and truthfulness of the information, ensuring it is supported by credible evidence and free from bias. Finally, purpose is examined to understand any potential bias or motivations behind the source's creation.

The CRAAP Test offers a structured method for assessing sources, aiding researchers in making informed decisions about their credibility and relevance. Through this systematic evaluation, individuals can better discern the quality of sources and avoid reliance on unreliable or biased information.

In my own experience, applying the CRAAP Test has proven invaluable in selecting sources for research papers or projects. This approach helps me avoid using sources that, while initially credible, may lack authority, accuracy, or relevance upon closer examination. By employing this strategy, I save time and effort, ensuring that the sources I utilize are reliable, trustworthy, and directly contribute to the strength of my arguments or analyses.
In reply to Michael Starnes

by Vinicius Amorim Vieira de Sa -
Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The CRAAP test is certainly an excellent strategy for evaluating sources; thanks for pointing that out.

It seems to be more thorough than the ADAM approach, as it includes a purpose test, which the latter lacks.

Regards,
Vinicius
In reply to Michael Starnes

by Saanvi Kundu -
Completely agree! The CRAAP Test has been a game changer for me too ~ it's amazing how much it can help clarify the credibility and relevance of sources, and save time in the long run.
In reply to First post

by monica thompson -

Personally I would not use social media as any kind of source. Up to date news can be found on any reputable news' website. It has become increasingly easier to create accounts masquerading as authorities these days. 

I am a huge fan of Wikipedia as a starting point. While it is hard to keep bias out of the articles, the bibliographies can be invaluable. They can lead to many great sources I would not have thought to seek out.

In reply to First post

by Brianna Amaral -
The ADAM Approach is a great way to access sources. This will be extremely helpful in ensuring that the sources procruded in the future are realiable and creditable.
In reply to Brianna Amaral

by Jamie Rayot -
Brianna, Agreed and I see the "A" for age being an extremely important part of the ADAM approach to ensure the information found is still current.
In reply to Jamie Rayot

by Aedan Masker -
Jamie, agreed. Especially in fields that are ever changing with advances in technologies and new methods of data collection. An article or study from the early 2000's may not be relevant when compared to one from the last 5 or 10 years.
In reply to First post

by Corne Botha -
I start with international organisations, then try and search for more specific items. Sometimes very difficult. ChatGPT also can be used to refine your search.
In reply to First post

by JOSAFAT VANDULF ELANO -
Considering my own experiences with finding and assessing sources I always checked if the information is trustworthy and reliable to avoid any conflicts.
In reply to First post

by Luis Vargas -
For me on assessing and finding sources I would look into sources that have a consensus of people that agree about the topic at hand. Opinions change all time. It never hurts to keep an open mind on the concept of having to change an opinion
In reply to First post

by Aedan Masker -
The internet being a common tool by the time I entered middle school meant that a lot of these tools for evaluating sources were taught to me young. How to use google properly to generate the results I was looking for, and the different the domain endings (.gov, .edu, etc.) and how they may help in determining the type of information and where it was coming from. Then in college writing papers for scientific major meant finding and analyzing a lot of peer reviewed journal articles.
In reply to First post

by Melissa Aves -
When I was in school, I referenced journals and newspaper on film at the library. No access to the internet like we do now.
In reply to First post

by Steven Requena -
Love a good acronym-ADAM Approach will now forever be ingrained in my head when looking at sources.
In reply to First post

by Ryan Theobald -
In the course of my higher education, the need for credible sources is necessary. In order to write concise, convincing, and compelling work, you must pull from credible sources. I have used non-credible sources to add humor to an informal paper, but in a professional or academic setting it is a requirement. Even in these discussion forums, quoting material from reliable and credible sources provides a stronger impact to the post, and and clarity to reader. 
In reply to First post

by Vinicius Amorim Vieira de Sa -
In the era of social media, strategies for evaluating sources are fundamental. Even on Wikipedia, always check the references section. I just have a slight disagreement with the approach to self-published content. In my opinion, much open-source content has great credibility. Take ArchWiki's credibility, for example. I think it's a highly credible source of information, even though it's not validated by any third parties.
In reply to First post

by Valentin Ionescu -
Cross-referencing information from multiple sources works best for me. Minimim 3 sources.
In reply to First post

by Leslie Tapper -
In one instance, I was instructed to create a research paper covering the familial consequence of WAR-related PTSD. The advice regarding the search query would have helped save me a lot of time as well as narrow down the minute aspects of my research paper. It would've given me more material to work with as well.
In reply to Leslie Tapper

by Shaqoria Hay -
I agree with you hear. I feel that research paper will always come with a lot of work. I feel like when working with research paper its often difficult to find one site or one place that will have every piece of information u may need. As I stated in a previous post sometimes the more information the better. I feel like if we were knowledgeable on some of these methods it would have made writing paper so much easier.
In reply to First post

by Siddika Koly -
Oftentimes when I search something the first few results that come up are all advertised. I often have searches come up that only feeds the confirmation bias. When I turn off my location and get the result from US location by default, I realize how much manipulation happens when it comes to information publishing. I get completely different results in different location.
That's why I usually look more down toward and always always think twice even when I see something I agree with.
Confirmation bias is so real.
In reply to Siddika Koly

by liel Mashiach -
Hey there!

Your observations about online searches completely resonate with me. It's frustrating when the top results seem to be more about advertising than actual relevance. And you're spot on about confirmation bias creeping in through search results tailored to our location or past behaviors.
In reply to First post

by Jenna Reca -
When I was completing my associates degree I had to use JSTOR to write many papers on various subjects. I liked the conveniency of a bunch of scholarly works in one place. It made the process less overwhelming
In reply to Jenna Reca

by Shaqoria Hay -
Oh I totally agree with you by wanting to use one source or site that will provide everything you need right in one place. Often times writing paper can be overwhelming. When I was getting my associates in Criminal Justice I tried not to use more than 5 to 6 sources because sometimes everything was not in one place and it was overwhelming but it allowed me to get the job done. I feel like certain paper require you to use more sources such as research papers. I feel like paper based off just what you know or the textbook for a particular course requires less going back and forth finding creditable sources.
In reply to First post

by Shaqoria Hay -
First, I am going to start off by saying how I find my information depends on what type of paper I am needing to write. When I was obtaining my Associates in Criminal Justice we had to write several paper and I remember for our final we had to complete a paper about a serial killer. I chose to talk about the Zodiac Killer because it seems like they had information on the individual but never found and arrested the individual responsible for the killing. Finding the needed information seemed easy but making sure that everything I was speaking about was factual was creditable was most important to me. I ended up using 6-10 creditable sources that I knew would be accurate because I double checked and verified the same information within out sites that I had been using. Newspaper articles, report from journalist that had been covering the case for years ,and also shows that may be found on different investigation channels. I decided to go with using domain creditable sites when completing my paper because I knew when speaking about the zodiac killer I would need to be as accurate as possible. I did watch a couple of podcasters speak about the zodiac killer and I only found one podcaster to have proof from sites that they had got their information from, but again I wanted to make sure everything that I did decide to use was going to hold weight and not put any false information out.
In reply to First post

by liel Mashiach -
When assessing sources, a strategy I've found particularly beneficial is examining the author's expertise and credentials in the field. By delving into the author's background, such as their qualifications, affiliations, and experience relevant to the topic, it provides a solid foundation for evaluating the reliability and credibility of the information presented. This strategy allows me to gauge whether the author possesses the necessary knowledge and authority to speak on the subject matter, thereby helping to ensure the accuracy and trustworthiness of the source.
In reply to First post

by Paul Vaifanua Jr. -

I have used a few of the sources mentioned to write an essay. Fortunately, I was lucky to gain access to peer-reviewed journal articles through my local library. This allowed me to research multiple sites in sifting out the articles I found bias. So, if you’d like to save yourself some money and even time; sign-up for a library card to utilize their resources for free. Good luck. 

In reply to First post

by Bridgett Pittman -
I believe that cross reference and peer reviews are very beneficial sources outside of all of your online and scholarly published sources. Not only do you pick up on things that you have missed that they have pointed out, but they can also tell you if information seems to be incorrect according to their research as well.
In reply to First post

by Tiffany Jones -
A few years ago, I was researching a controversial topic for a paper. As I delved into various sources, I encountered conflicting information from different sources, making it challenging to discern which perspective was more accurate and reliable. In this situation, I found that cross-referencing sources was a crucial strategy for evaluating the credibility of the information. By comparing information from multiple sources, I was able to identify common themes and discrepancies, which helped me assess the reliability and validity of the information presented. For example, I came across a statistic regarding the prevalence of a particular phenomenon, but it seemed unusually high compared to other estimates I had seen. To verify its accuracy, I cross-referenced it with data from reputable organizations and academic studies. Through this process, I discovered that the original statistic was inflated due to a methodological flaw in the study it was based on, highlighting the importance of critically evaluating sources.
In reply to First post

by Crystal Soria -
I've used JSTOR back in high school and still used it in community college, it's been one of the most valuable things in my education.
In reply to Crystal Soria

by Marylin Abreu -
I agree - JSTOR was introduced to me in high school as well, and I have referred back to it in my current studies.
In reply to First post

by Marylin Abreu -
When writing research papers, or citing sources, I tend to rely on peer-reviewed works. This is always a reliable method for me, and often times leads me to find more sources. I use Google searches sometimes to help with a starting point.
In reply to First post

by Saanvi Kundu -
When researching mental health resources for a friend, I realized the importance of critically evaluating sources. I encountered a website claiming to offer expert advice, but the author lacked mental health credentials. Using the CRAAP test (Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, Purpose) would have helped me evaluate the source more effectively. I learned that checking author credentials and bias is crucial to ensure reliable information. I'll apply this strategy in future research to make more informed decisions.
In reply to Saanvi Kundu

by Fantasia Wiggins -
I couldn't agree with you more! Knowing how crucial it is to have a peer reviewed source.
In reply to First post

by Hudson Harper -
Throughout high school research assignments I used magazines and articles for most of my sources and was almost always penalized for not using credible sources. Understanding a scholarly information source would have helped me tremendously. It also helps to understand how to evaluate information sources that were never published. I would have greatly benefited from these tricks.
In reply to First post

by rylie smith -
With my experience on looking for credible sources, I have mainly used to strategy of looking at peer-reviewed articles. This was often a strategy that was highly suggested by my past teachers. However, I wish I knew more about the strategy of reviewing the authors C.V/resume. This strategy would have been useful for me in the past so that I could review the authors of some articles I was hesitant about.
In reply to First post

by ayesha saeed -

Already being using scholarly articles but this chapter made me aware of more useful articles search

In reply to First post

by Odile Segall -
Using the ADAM approach would have made my sources stronger for one of my reports in college. For example, we had to do a paper on a case study regarding increasing membership at a nonprofit. Three sources were the minimum and they had to be peer reviewed. While I used some of the approaches from ADAM, using all of them in a systematic way would have been a more streamlined process to ensure strong and relevant sources for my report.
In reply to Odile Segall

by Shantel bullock -
using the ADAM approach could have greatly enhanced the strength of your sources for your college report. Focusing on an organized and systematic application of all the elements of the ADAM approach would have likely providedned process for a more streamliensuring the relevance and strength of your sources. It's always beneficial to reflect on past experiences and consider ways to improve for future projects. Great post Odile!
In reply to First post

by Shantel bullock -
When I was writing a research paper on climate change, I came across a website that claimed to have scientific data supporting climate change denial. At first, the website looked professional and convincing, but I was skeptical because it didn't seem credible. I decided to use the strategy of checking the author's credentials and affiliations. I looked up the authors of the website and found that they were not climate scientists but rather had affiliations with organizations known to promote anti-climate change agendas. This strategy was helpful in assessing the credibility of the source and helped me realize that the information was likely biased and unreliable.
In reply to First post

by Cecily Acevedo -

In my recent research project on the effects of social media on mental health, encountered a variety of sources that ranged from academic articles to personal blogs. One strategy that proved incredibly helpful in evaluating these sources was the emphasis on utilizing peer-reviewed literature.

During my search, I came across an article on a popular health blog that discussed the correlation between excessive social media use and anxiety. While the blog post was engaging and had a lot of anecdotal evidence, I knew I needed to find more reliable data to support my arguments. This is where the emphasis on peer-reviewed sources came into play. When I shifted my focus to finding peer-reviewed articles through databases like JSTOR, I found several studies conducted by researchers in psychology and sociology. These articles provided empirical data, rigorous methodologies, and had undergone scrutiny by experts in the field. For instance, one study analyzed social media usage patterns among adolescents and their reported levels of anxiety and depression. This kind of evidence was crucial for substantiating my thesis. Additionally, reviewing these peer-reviewed articles allowed me to assess the strengths and limitations of the research. The studies often included discussions about sample sizes, potential biases, and areas for further research, which helped me understand the broader context of the topic.

In conclusion, the strategy of prioritizing peer-reviewed sources not only enhanced the credibility of my work but also enriched my understanding of the subject matter. It taught me the importance of relying on thoroughly vetted information, especially when addressing complex issues like mental health.

In reply to First post

by Fantasia Wiggins -
One of the strategies that would've helped in High school and through college is the ADAM Approach. It's catchy and very helpful. That would have made finding credible sources a lot easier.
In reply to First post

by James Locker -
I try and grab as many sources as, and then try and find a common thread in between them all
In reply to First post

by brionna kemp -
In my own experience, I find it best to use credible online platforms with official .edu or .gov endings.
In reply to First post

by vanessa Ur -
Here’s a shorter version:

One effective strategy for evaluating sources is checking the author’s credibility. In a past project, I encountered conflicting information and found that authors with relevant expertise offered more reliable insights. This approach helps filter out misinformation and ensures you’re relying on trustworthy sources, improving the quality of your research.
In reply to First post

by Oliver Fleming -
Ensuring to cross reference sources when dealing with non-academic articles has been essential to gathering an accurate analysis of a given subject. Not putting my trust into websites like Wikipedia and instead using them to inform myself of the broad strokes of a topic and direct my research to more specialised, reputable sources has proven highly valuable.
In reply to Oliver Fleming

by Dominique Vittorio -
Cross referencing is very important when using online sources.
In reply to First post

by Dominique Vittorio -
When finding and assessing sources, checking the credibility of the author and publication has been very helpful. For example, while preparing content for social media at my current position, I needed to ensure that health tips were accurate. I came across an article but found the author wasn't a certified expert, and the site had a history of misinformation. This strategy prevented me from sharing unreliable information. It reinforced the importance of evaluating sources to maintain trust and accuracy in my work.
In reply to First post

by Bernales Jai -
I didn't know about the ADAM. There's no wonder why my research paper has been disapproved. LOL.
In reply to First post

by Claire Bradley -
I actively use peer reviewed sources daily, and I am very conscious of questioning the reliability, validity, authority and accuracy of sources, and the way that weak sources are often used to justify weak or primarily emotive arguments. So I use all of these techniques on a regular basis.