Discussion: Definitions

Make forum posts: 1

Discussion: Definitions

Number of replies: 112

Evaluate these definitions. If you find a definition inadequate or flawed, try to provide a better definition. Then, share your thoughts on the discussion forum. Make sure to review and respond to other students' posts, as well.

1. Discuss Mark Twain's definition of love: "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
  2. Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."

In reply to First post

Re: Discussion: Definitions

by Cris Hass -
Discuss Mark Twain's definition of love: "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
Love is not the desire to be desired, that is a one dimensional way of looking at it. Love is the desire to be the best version of yourself for another person.
Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with a fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."
This definition is missing the origin of clouds. There should be another part specifically stating that a cloud is formed from water being evaporated then condensed in the atmosphere.
In reply to Cris Hass

by Colte Rindlesbach -
"Love is not the desire to be desired, that is a one dimensional way of looking at it. Love is the desire to be the best version of yourself for another person"

I agree that the original definition provided( Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.) is one sided. your definition of love is an improvement for sure. Its so fascinating to see and read others personal definitions to such a complex and universal feeling.
In reply to Cris Hass

by Bridgett Pittman -
I definitely agree with the point that the cloud definition is missing a very valuable point! Good insight!
In reply to Cris Hass

by Bernales Jai -
I disagree to the "Love is not the desire to be desired.'' part. Love has various definition, Mark Twain has his own definition, and you, also have own definition. Whether it is one-dimensional or two way of looking at it, Mark's definition of love must not be ignored.
In reply to First post

by Colte Rindlesbach -
Discuss Mark Twain's definition of love: "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
Mark Twains definition of love is really basic and leaves no room for the different types of love. I think it would be best to define love as " a strong and addictive emotion that can look and feel different from individual to individual. "

Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."
I think this definition is pretty solid, its described in a way that its able to be imagined, and seen even to someone who may have poor vision/blind. its short but creates a nice word picture.
In reply to Colte Rindlesbach

by Atul Vishwakarma -
Your definition of love is too broad, for example dopamine also satisfies your definition.
In reply to First post

by K Amanda -
1: This is a one perspective thinking. Theres many ways to love. This is not critically thinking. Critically thinking is not biased.
In reply to First post

by Ashlee Trussell -
Mark Twain's definition of love as "the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired" captures the essence of the emotional aspect of love. It highlights the mutual attraction and longing between individuals in a relationship. However, while this definition beautifully captures one aspect of love, it may not fully encompass the complexity and depth of love as an emotion.

Love is a multifaceted emotion that encompasses more than just the desire to be desired. It includes feelings of affection, care, and compassion towards another person. Love involves a deep emotional connection, understanding, and acceptance of the other person. It also involves selflessness, sacrifice, and a willingness to support and nurture the well-being and happiness of the loved one.

A more comprehensive definition of love could be: "Love is a profound and enduring emotional bond between individuals, characterized by affection, care, compassion, and a deep sense of connection. It involves a mutual desire for the well-being and happiness of the loved one, often accompanied by selflessness, sacrifice, and a willingness to support and nurture."

Moving on to the definition of a cloud as "a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." This definition provides a basic understanding of what a cloud is, emphasizing its physical characteristics and the fact that it is constantly changing in shape. However, it lacks some important details about how clouds form and their role in the water cycle.

A more comprehensive definition of a cloud could be: "A cloud is a visible collection of water droplets or ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere. It forms when warm air rises and cools, causing water vapor to condense into tiny droplets or ice crystals around particles such as dust or salt. Clouds come in various shapes, sizes, and altitudes, and their formation, appearance, and movement are influenced by factors like temperature, humidity, and wind patterns. Clouds play a crucial role in the Earth's water cycle, as they transport and distribute water vapor, eventually leading to precipitation in the form of rain, snow, or other forms."

By providing a more comprehensive definition, we can enhance our understanding of what a cloud truly is and its significance in the natural processes that occur in our atmosphere.
In reply to Ashlee Trussell

by Olivia Cox -
I appreciated your response to the inadequacies of the above definition of love. I like how you stated that love is a multifaceted concept and how you touched on points that are less to do with the longing or desire which are more of an instant gratification, and showed how love is a long process without the simple aspect of just desire.
In reply to First post

by Olivia Cox -
1. I find this definition to be inadequate. While the sentiment is endearing it fails to touch on the true blocks or qualities of love, like communication, compassion, patience, etc.
If I were to try and give a better definition than that of Mark Twain stated above. I might say: “Love is ability to show another compassion, kindness, patience, empathy and joy without the promise or guarantee of the same in return”
Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."
2. This definition is flawed due to its generalized and vague nature. Due to the extensive scientific knowledge developed we know the makeup of clouds and their purpose. If I were to give my definition of a cloud I would say something like: “clouds are a part of the water cycle formed from the process of evaporation and precipitation. They have four main forms known as cumulus, stratus, nimbus and cirrus. Clouds are formed from water molecules and ice crystals in the Earths atmosphere“
In reply to Olivia Cox

by John Heathcliff -
Nice insights on love, Olivia. Love is so much more than being irresistibly desired. I thought his fleecy texture did what he intended it to do, which is to evoke in the reader a warm, comforting, pillowy soft feeling that can come from looking at clouds .
In reply to Olivia Cox

by Ashley Steigerwaldt -

Great job...you gave very insightful points for each and offered more thorough definitions.

In reply to First post

by Ahmed Abdirahman Ahmed -
When evaluating Mark Twain's definition of love as "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired" it presents an intriguing concept. Twain's definition emphasizes the reciprocal nature of love, where individuals not only experience a strong desire for someone but also yearn to be desired by that person in return. This definition aligns with the passionate love described by Berscheid and Hatfield, which involves intense attraction, arousal, and heightened emotional experiences (Gordon, 2022, para. 3).

Reference: Gordon, A. (2022). What Is Love. Psychology Today. Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/between-you-and-me/202209/what-is-love
In reply to First post

by Abdul Wahab -
1. Discuss Mark Twain's definition of love: "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
Everyone wants someone who looks at their achievements and is inspired by them. The emotional attachment to that person's desire is love. If the partner was just manipulating to gain some benefit, soon he/she reveals the intention. Individual emotional stress is based on the fact that their life's accomplishments meant nothing to their so-called partner. It fits with the reality well, that love is the feeling that comes from the actions of an impressed person in your life.
2. Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."
I think it explains the behavior of the cloud and its shape. It does not explain what makes it cloud or its existence.
In reply to First post

by Catherine Quinn -
Love and the desire for love are the natural desire for connection. Mark Twain's definition further states that love is wanting to be wanted by another person, and wanting them to feel the same about you. Especially when considering reciprocation in romantic love.

This definition does an excellent job of describing the physical characteristics of a cloud but leaves the origin and purpose in question. An alternative definition might describe where and how different clouds are formed and the significance they hold.
In reply to First post

by Steven Zuniga-Smith -
Mark Twain's definition of love remains incomplete. It captures a specific aspect of passionate desire in love but overlooks its broader dimensions and potential pitfalls. Love is complex that includes desire, intimacy, care, and shared values, and any attempt to define love in a single sentence will inevitably fall short.
In reply to First post

by Desiree Polo -
Evaluating the Definitions:
1. Love:
Mark Twain's definition, "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired," is certainly witty and captures the intensity and reciprocity often associated with romantic love. However, it is also potentially inadequate and flawed for several reasons:

Limited Scope: It ignores other types of love, such as self-love, familial love, and platonic love, in favor of concentrating only on romantic love.

Superficiality: Rather than focusing on more profound elements like empathy, compassion, or shared ideals, it highlights the want for desire.

Unhealthy Power Dynamics: The term "irresistible" may suggest possessiveness or manipulation, which can result in unhealthy relationships.

This might be a more accurate definition:
Love is a complicated feeling that is defined by a great deal of respect, caring, and compassion for another person. It can take many different forms, such as self-love, platonic, family, and romantic. Love is more than just want and attraction; it's also about empathy, understanding, and a sincere concern for the other person's well.

2. Cloud:
The definition of a cloud as "a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change" is generally accurate, but could benefit from being more scientific and specific:

Technical error: The term "fleecy texture" is ambiguous and subjective.
Restricted information: No mention of composition, formation mechanism, or meteorological influence is made.
Here's a potentially better definition:

A cloud is an observable mass of microscopic ice crystals or water droplets floating in the atmosphere. Depending on temperature, pressure, and wind, these particles can take on a variety of forms and sizes through condensation or sublimation. Clouds have an impact on precipitation and solar absorption, as well as weather patterns and the Earth's water cycle.
In reply to Desiree Polo

by John Heathcliff -
Really good job, Desiree! You totally deconstructed and critically assessed the way Twain is looking down his nose at those who think love is defined by immature feelings of a romantic nature. While "fleecy texture" it is not an accurate definition of a cloud, I think he uses it to evoke a certain feeling in the reader, a feeling that clouds are pillow soft and comforting.
In reply to Desiree Polo

by Osvaldo De Leon -
I enjoyed your discussion of the different kinds of love that Twain's definition ignores.
In reply to Desiree Polo

by Jamie Rayot -
Your definition of love is multifaceted and all encompassing, where I'm assuming, Mark Twains' was meant to limit the scope to express a specific feeling while reading his work.
In reply to First post

by Olha Semeniuk -
Mark Twain's definition of love captures the essence of longing and reciprocity within romantic relationships. It emphasizes the mutual desire to be desired by one's partner, highlighting the emotional and psychological aspects of love. However, some might find this definition overly focused on the romantic aspect of love and may argue that love encompasses a broader spectrum of emotions and relationships beyond romantic love.

A potential improvement could be to expand the definition to include various types of love, such as familial love, platonic love, and self-love. For example, love could be defined as "an intense feeling of affection and attachment towards someone or something, characterized by a strong desire for reciprocation and connection."

Now, regarding the definition of a cloud, it accurately captures the basic characteristics of a cloud as a meteorological phenomenon. It describes a cloud as a large, semi-transparent mass with a fleecy texture that is suspended in the atmosphere and continually changes shape. This definition effectively conveys the dynamic and ever-changing nature of clouds.

However, to enhance the definition, one could add information about how clouds form, the different types of clouds, and their role in the Earth's climate system. For instance, a revised definition could be: "A cloud is a visible mass of condensed water vapor or ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere, formed through condensation or sublimation processes. Clouds come in various types, shapes, and altitudes, playing a crucial role in weather patterns and climate regulation." This expanded definition provides a more comprehensive understanding of clouds and their significance in meteorology and atmospheric science.
In reply to First post

by John Heathcliff -
Twain's definition of love is characteristic of his dry humor and literary flair because it is more of a "persuasive definition" that is mildly derogatory or at the very least pretty sarcastic. In this quote, he is alluding to what many people mistake love to be; not by what one gives to others but by what one receives from an admirer, namely, adoration that feeds the ego. Similarly, his definition of a cloud is not a precising definition, it is a reportive definition ("a large, semi-transparent mass" "suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change") combined with a persuasive definition with a persuasive definition "fleecy texture" that helps evoke an emotive response by comparing a cloud's texture to a lambs fleece; which is a pillowy, soft, comforting allusion.
In reply to First post

by Mark Mejico Mejico -
1. This is inadequate since it is limited to only one perspective and Love can take in various forms in different contexts.
2. It lacks important information such as the formation and content of the clouds.
In reply to First post

by connie coker -

Mark Twain’s definition of love is his interpretation of how he sees love. Love is an emotion, a feeling- so everyone’s interpretation of love will be different.

2.Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."

The definition above describing a cloud creates a picturesque interpretation of a cloud. Maybe adding some science (evaporation, water, so on) along with the original description would help create a better definition.
In reply to First post

by Beato Candundu -
1. Mark Twain's definition of love: "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." is a quotation rather interesting. On the one hand, there is the atraction fenomenon of the lover to the loved subject. The atraction of one lover rekindles the loved response in the other. In the quotation in question, the irresistible desire of one is answered by the one strongly desired.
2. Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." The cloud formation is something beyond any humanly designed sciences setting. The atmosferic pressures is responsible in bringing about the dense vapour accumulation and its suspenssion in the atmosfere.
In reply to First post

by Paul Vaifanua Jr. -
Love’s definition is undefinable. Yes, there is text explaining/clarifying its meaning, but love is an emotion that has different meanings. It’s beyond a simple response.
In reply to First post

by Osvaldo De Leon -
1. I think Mark Twain's definition of love is inadequate because it is focused on the desire, which one can arguably suggest is not love. I think at first glance, the definition sounds beautiful, who wouldn't want a partner who desires them? Nonetheless, one could point out that if love is a desire, what about it when it fades away? Was there no desire, thus? Love could be better define as wanting the good of the other. Of course, my definition could be inadequate and flawed, but I believe that's the definition of love. Love is about wanting someone else to do good simply by virtue of being them. Aristotle in the Ethics defends a notion of friendship based on virtue, which he argues is the true meaning of friendship. By the same token, I believe we safely can say that love is about wanting the good of the other because you genuinely care and love them. Therefore, while Twain's definition of love, which for him is "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired," I would suggest it is only a desire, but not a wanting the good of the other, which in my view is want the other to be in a good state of life even if they are not with me.
2. The definition being give of a cloud is "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." I think it is flawed to suggest that only a cloud has a "fleecy texture," since there could be other natural phenomena in the sky that have such texture. This definition does not touch on the essence of a cloud which is that it is in the atmosphere that has a evaporated component to it.
In reply to Osvaldo De Leon

by Vinicius Amorim Vieira de Sa -
Hello Osvaldo,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I agree with you the second definition is flawed. I don't believe clouds have a "fleecy texture". How could someone touch a cloud in a simple experiment?

Regards,
Vinicius.
In reply to First post

by Jayne Boehme -
1. (That is an awesome quote.) It does make you think about the essence of what love is. Unfortunately, love is used for so many different types of experiences that it would take many entries to offer a full list of the types of love. For example, the Greeks used several different words for love at the time of Plato (probably before. I'm not sure of the exact dates that these words originated) : eros: romantic love, passion, desire; agape: unconditional love, charity or selflessness; philia: friendship; and so many more... Self-love, familial love, etc.
There certainly is some truth to Twain's definition. It's a phenomenon that is difficult to explain at best.

2. I can see that the person is trying to get at the essence of what a cloud is. Definitions are made of slippery stuff. Once you pronounce one attribute, it's challenging to go back to redefine/home the meaning. 

First, I would say that a cloud need not necessarily be "large". But that is what people think of when the word is said or of many clouds together in the sky. Second, semi-transparent, I don't know that that is the best description, but it is trying to capture the effect that it is composed of water particles and is highly subject to change. Third, fleecy, again, I am not sure that that is a good descriptor. Fleece is something that is made from wool. Were we able to touch clouds, they would not feel literally "fleecy". They look perhaps fleecy.

Fourth, they are suspended in the atmosphere. They can hang low to the ground, also called fog, or they can go way up in the sky. There are several types of clouds: cumulus, stratus, etc... A good definition would probably explain the different types of clouds, how they are categorized (one way being where they form in the sky: high, medium, or low-level). Fifth, being subject to change is a fascinating aspect of clouds. But a good definition would probably explain how they are changed and by what pressures and/or effects.
In reply to First post

by Vishesh Uniyal -

The first question to answer:

a) Who actually said this quote?
b) What was the perspective of the quotee?
c) Were there any prejudices?

Now, the quote was said by the American poet Robert Frost, the citation of the quote is unclear and is believed to have been said in the early 1900s.

After some research, I found that Mr. Frost's life was far from an ideal one. Under all the fame, he suffered a lot of losses throughout his life. His father died of tuberculosis when he was 11 years old, he lost his son Elliott (1896–1900, died of cholera), his daughter Elinor Bettina (died just one day after her birth in 1907). Two of his other kids died before him, hid son Carol (1902–1940), and his daughter Marjorie (1905–1934, died as a result of puerperal fever after childbirth), his wife, Elinor, experienced bouts of depression, she developed breast cancer in 1937 and died of heart failure in 1938. Only his two daughters Lesley and Irma outlived their father.
From further reading, it seems that he lived under a lot of stress to provide for his family, and his wife, also had to work very hard to keep the family afloat.
(Gerber, Philip L.. "Robert Frost". Encyclopedia Britannica, 25 Jan. 2024, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Robert-Frost. Accessed 27 February 2024.)

This evidence indicates that Mr. Frost, aside from the fame and sometimes transient happiness, was under a lot of stress.
Which can tell us something about his point of view towards love, here, I'm going to make a rough assumption that after loosing so many dear to him, he felt crippling loneliness, and wanted to elevate from this stress and sadness, hence the quote:

"Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."

can be felt really inadequate from our standards of love.

This is my answer, I do not wish to replace this definition of love, as this is the representation of love from a very unique point of view by one of the greatest scholars of the 20th century.

Now, I can add another definition of love from my perspective, though I'm too tired for it now, and I've seen other great definitions in this forum, so I'll keep my definition to myself.

This definition is a general definition for a cloud, if we consider that clouds on other planets are of different gases and not just water vapor, there are clouds of sulfuric acid on Venus (read the source, https://www.kobe-u.ac.jp/en/news/article/2019_01_09_01/ ), if you want to give an everyday definition of a cloud, you can add the detail of how water vapor forms clouds for the humans on Earth, otherwise, this definition is adequate.
In reply to First post

by Jose Mendez -
1. Love can be different forms of appreciation of a thing/person/object, in different cultures can vary, but a fact is that love can be expressed by appreciation

2. Oversimplify the definition of a cloud, can vary in form and color
In reply to First post

by asifa shaikh -
Love is not the desire to be desired, that is a one dimensional way of looking at it. Love is the desire to be the best version of yourself for another person. 
Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with a fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."
This definition is missing the origin of clouds. There should be another part specifically stating that a cloud is formed from water being evaporated then condensed in the atmosphere.

In reply to asifa shaikh

by Emma E Wellington -
Good evening!
I also thought the cloud definition was missing scientific fact, such as water evaporation. I think this would definitely bring more clarity to the definition!
In reply to First post

by Payce Petersen -
1. Mark Twain's definition of love is viewed through the scope of belonging. However, there are many forms and definitions of love. Yes, love is important when speaking of connections with your family, spouse, children, etc... I think a rephrased version would be "Love is the irresistible desire to be surrounded by purpose."
2. This definition does not mention water vapor, otherwise is fog a cloud? Haze?
In reply to First post

by Erin Berger -
1. I disagree with Mark Twain's definition of love. He says "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." I would like to define love as the feeling of deep compassion, interest and care for a person, place or thing.
2. Cloud being defined as "a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change" is a pretty good definition. I think that water should be mentioned.
In reply to First post

by Daniel Sosa -
1. Mark Twain's definition only includes the want to be loved, but not the action of wanting to love. Also, it is possible for one to love someone and not want "desire to be irresistibly desired" because they are already irresistibly desired.
2. This definition of cloud does not contain information like water contents. Also the word "large" is relative. Maybe the clouds are small.
In reply to First post

by WLLM12 G -
1. Inadequate - Twain's definition lacks clarity. A better definition: "Love is a deep emotional connection and care for someone, characterized by mutual affection and understanding."

2. Adequate - The definition effectively captures the essential features of a cloud.
In reply to WLLM12 G

by Emma E Wellington -
Good evening!
I wonder if love has to be mutual. Can one love another who does not love them? Or can a pet love and understand an owner the way an owner understands a pet? I also wonder how we may consider defining "deep" in terms of emotional connection, because I feel as though this is subjective for everyone?
In reply to First post

by Andrés Ramírez -
1. It's flawed: although its poetic and beautiful, it's a circular definition. Love is the attraction towards a living or non-living thing, where there is a connection between the giver and the receiver.
2. It's alright.
In reply to First post

by Rehan Ullah -
Mark Twain's definition of love, "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired," captures the essence of longing and reciprocity in romantic relationships. However, it may oversimplify love, overlooking its complexities and variations. Love encompasses more than just desire; it involves empathy, trust, and mutual respect. A revised definition could emphasize the emotional connection and commitment that characterize love, acknowledging its multidimensional nature.

Regarding the definition of a cloud as "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change," it provides a basic understanding of clouds' physical characteristics. However, it lacks depth in explaining the diverse types and functions of clouds in meteorology. A better definition could incorporate information about cloud formation, composition, and roles in weather patterns, providing a more comprehensive understanding of clouds' significance in the atmosphere.

In the discussion forum, I would share these insights, emphasizing the importance of critically evaluating definitions to ensure clarity and accuracy. I would encourage classmates to contribute their perspectives on these definitions and offer their own interpretations. Engaging in constructive discussions allows us to deepen our understanding of complex concepts and refine our critical thinking skills.
In reply to First post

by Emma E Wellington -
1. This definition of love, although a poetic one, is flawed. Without bringing context to 'irresistible' and 'desire' we are left to wonder what scale or level of emotion love is. I could say I have an irresistible desire to eat chocolate, but the desire is not as strong as loving my husband. Love is also experienced differently for everyone, and we can never truly understand another's conception of it. Love really can not be defined adequately, as I don't believe there is a single, unanimous experience with love.

2. This definition is flawed as it is more subjective in terms of "fleecy texture" and "semi-transparent" and should include more scientific terms. A more appropriate definition would include "condensed water vapor."
In reply to First post

by Ashley Steigerwaldt -

1. Mark Twain's definition of love is his perspective. Love can mean many things to many people.

2. The definition of a cloud also seems perspective. We all know that clouds do not have a 'fleecy texture' as they consist of water and therefore feel like mist.

In reply to First post

by Erickson Totanes -
1. Mark Twain is wrong. Love is the capacity to give oneself to another without the need to be irresistibly desired.
2. The definition of cloud sufficed. But that it changed, the process as to its formation should be included in the definition.
In reply to First post

by diana kydd -
It focuses solely on desire and doesn't consider other aspects of love like care, compassion, or emotional connection.

"Fleecy texture" might not capture all cloud types (e.g., cirrus clouds are wispy, not fleecy).
In reply to First post

by Samuel Klco -
1. it is a circular definition
This is a better one: Love is selfless desire to be emotionaly connected to something ore someone.
2. it is too narrow because all clouds are not large and there also isnt an origin of the clouds
In reply to First post

by stacey kavanagh -
1)This seems to describe new love or romantic love and does not include all of the very different levels.
2)The definition of a cloud should have some more factual information including the scientific definition of how clouds are created.
In reply to First post

by Maylen Bellodo -
Overall, this definition provides an insightful and detailed description of a cloud, highlighting its size, appearance, location, and dynamic nature. It goes beyond the simple understanding of a cloud, offering a more scientific and poetic perspective.
In reply to First post

by MARK NELSON -
1. Seems circular? Is missing the fact that love can be one sided, or the different types of love (maternal for example). Clever turn of phrase though...

2. I would remove the size, fleecy texture, and atmosphere terms, as those are for cumulus or cirrus (etc.) formations on Earth. "A cloud is a mass, suspended in a larger medium or environment, whose shape is often irregular and subject to change as it moves to diffuse and reach equilibrium with the larger medium or environment."
In reply to First post

by Sanika Bari -
"Love is not the desire to be desired, that is a one dimensional way of looking at it. Love is the desire to be the best version of yourself for another person"

I agree that the original definition provided( Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.) is one sided. your definition of love is an improvement for sure. Its so fascinating to see and read others personal definitions to such a complex and universal feeling.
In reply to First post

by Leslie Tapper -
Mark Twain's definition of love is admirable but too narrow of a definition since love also be perceived as action. A better definition of love would be "a feeling, act or state of mind based on the condition of having deep affection in regards to another thing.'

The definition of a cloud is also flawed due to being too vague about what the 'mass' of a cloud is comprised of. A better definition would be "a cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass of water vapor with fleecy texture suspending in tghe atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."
In reply to First post

by Scott Shockley -
Mark Twain's definition of love is flawed. Love goes far beyond the desire to be desired. Love can be selfless, platonic, romantic, etc. It is an incredibly difficult thing to define.

The definition of a cloud could be improved upon by defining what the cloud consists of. The texture of the cloud is not relevant to the description, however we could include colors.
In reply to First post

by Corne Botha -
1. Seems circular and emotive. I think Love is the foundation of relationships, and a defining characteristic of God.
2. Not accurate and not showing the most common attribute (rain). A cloud is a dynamic mass of condensed water in the atmosphere, and important for precipitation.
In reply to First post

by Michael Starnes -
Mark Twain's definition of love beautifully captures a certain aspect of human emotion. It emphasizes the mutual attraction and longing that often characterize romantic relationships. Love involves a powerful desire or longing for someone else, wanting to be close to them, to connect deeply, and to experience joy and fulfillment together. Twain's definition also highlights the desire to feel wanted and valued by the other person, not just loving them but being loved in return, feeling cherished, and appreciated. This definition underscores the reciprocity inherent in love—the give and take, mutual admiration, and shared vulnerability that deepen emotional bonds. It speaks to the human longing for connection and intimacy, as well as the joy of being desired by another.

"A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." This description vividly portrays what a cloud is and how it behaves in the atmosphere. Clouds are indeed large formations in the sky, composed of tiny water droplets or ice crystals, allowing light to pass through them to varying degrees, creating their characteristic appearance. The phrase "fleecy texture" evokes the soft, fluffy nature often associated with clouds, resembling fleece or cotton, floating gracefully across the sky. Clouds are held aloft in the Earth's atmosphere, at various altitudes influenced by temperature, humidity, and air pressure. Their ever-changing nature, shifting and morphing constantly due to atmospheric dynamics and environmental conditions, adds to their beauty and allure. This dynamic quality is integral to weather forecasting and climate science, highlighting the importance of understanding clouds in our natural environment.
In reply to First post

by Brianna Amaral -
The definition of a cloud when reading seems to assume one knows what a cloud already is. It is a difficult word to define otherwise such as the color blue. If you do not know what the color looks like or what a cloud looks like already how would another visualize the imagery.
In reply to First post

by monica thompson -
1 - "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistible desired." This is a persuasive definition, full of emotion, that connects love to desire. It leaves aside both platonic forms of love as well as the possibility of a love that is less reciprocal. Love is an emotion that is linked to the feeling of wanting to be closer to another, whether romantic or Platonic.

2 - "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." A precise definition, it lacks only what a cloud is made of. A large, semi-transparent mass made of water droplets and particles of ice, with a fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change.
In reply to First post

by Melissa Aves -
Twain's definition sounds like a romantic love, not parent/child, friendship, etc.
The cloud definition sounds like someone's opinion.
In reply to First post

by Aedan Masker -
1. Love has many definitions. There is love that is familial in nature, so desire doesn't play into it.

2. Fleecy texture seems subjective as most people have never felt a cloud. How large, is there a size limit on a cloud? Continual change- there are clouds that do not change shape.
In reply to First post

by Steven Requena -
2. Large and fleecy are subjective and can be removed from this definition. The definition should go into further detail of how and why clouds are formed.
In reply to First post

by JOSAFAT VANDULF ELANO -
highlighting the mutual attraction and longing that define romantic relationships. Twain was commenting on the human desire for validation and acceptance from others.
In reply to First post

by Yasir Mahmood -
Love is not only a desire but an enevitable condition that has to be faced by everyone.
I totally agree with the definition of a cloud
In reply to First post

by Valentin Ionescu -
1. first one is is a circular definition
2. second one seems fine, but maybe does not exclude something else. It could also be a piece of fine cloth or fabric carried by the wind through the air.
In reply to First post

by Luis Vargas -
I do not find a flaw in these statements.

One provides definition by added emotion to the definition of love and the other is a distinct definition on the view of what a cloud is.
In reply to First post

by Nicholas Greene -
1) I think Mark Twain's definition of love is difficult to disprove. Singer loves her fans because she wishes for them to adore her. I can't think of anything to add to it to clarify it further. It is succient.

2) I think this definition is sufficent to describe what a cloud looks like. A chemist might describe a cloud as "condensed vapors suspended in the atmosphere"
In reply to First post

by Ryan Theobald -
1. Twain's definition can be used for employers seeking new employees with a specific skill set that is a requirement for the business to operate. Another definition of love is embracing vulnerability within oneself or others without judgement in a positive view.

2. This definition does not cover all types of clouds, for example, digital clouds of information.
In reply to Ryan Theobald

Hello Ryan,

I liked the alternative definition of love, reading the other comments you can see that love has a wide variety of definitions and meanings.

Kind regards,
Vinicius.
In reply to First post

by Carlo Lionetti -
1. Reflection on Mark Twain's definition of love: if we look at different etymologies of the word, we find the Latin Version "lubet", it pleases, the Sanskrit Version, "lubhyati", it desires, the Hebrew version, Ahav, "to give", the Arabic Version "hubb", same root as the word "seed'. Defining Love through a Critical Thinking lens might be one of the hardest challenge. We cannot definitely define it through a linear definition, but we can use a spherical one! What does it mean? A definition that, as a sphere, doesn't have a beginning and end but only a constant flow, a constant research, which is, ultimately, the core of the Critical Thinking process.
2. Reflection on the definition of a cloud: the above mentioned definition can be semantically correct, but, yet, limited to a superficial view. It is challenging, for me, to define clouds as a semi-transparent mass. I would define clouds as travelling H2O particles! :)
In reply to First post

1. I disagree with Mark Twain's definition of love. I see love as the exact opposite. I would adjust Twain's definition to something like: "Love is the irresistible desire for another person." You could extend "person" to include animals, things, or even ideas. However, unlike Twain, I think love is not self-centered but focused on the other person. This could also refer to oneself, but then we're talking about self-love.

2. I think this description is a bit flawed because it's not a simple task to define the texture of a cloud. I would rephrase the definition this way: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass, generally composed of water droplets or ice, suspended in the atmosphere, and its shape is subject to continual change."
In reply to First post

by Oliver Fleming -

This definition is ineffective as it is circular. In Twains definition love is defined as ‘an irresistible desire’, which means this definition can be rephrased as; love is the desire to be loved. Defining love by its relation to being loved inherently provides no answers.

Love: A deeply passionate affection

I think this definition is more appropriate, although it is based purely on appearances rather than what scientifically constitutes a cloud. I would change the use of ‘texture’ as it implies a solid physical property to something that isnt solid. 

A better definition would describe the scientific processes behind clouds with less focus on appearances. 

In reply to Oliver Fleming

by Shaqoria Hay -
Let me say your post caught my attention because the way you worded what Twains says was right on point. That why i stated love can be seen different here because the way love is given can vary by culture as well as by the individual. Because you can wanted to be love and seen so amazing in a persons eye, but how will that person describe their love for you. We all want someone to see us so attractive and love us over the top but how do we know the view of love that person has.

And I think we all agreed that here with the clouds we felt they were missing the process on how clouds are exactly formed and what makes them vary.
In reply to First post

by Siddika Koly -
1. The definition excludes one sided love. Love in my definition is lot more that desire.
Love is a feeling involving someone or something and feeling deep affection toward the object of love and a desire to do something good about it.

2. It's more focused on appearance . And has a connotation that it is hard object. It should include what cloud does or how it is formed.
In reply to First post

by Lindsay C -
Mark Twain defined love as an irresistible urge to be desired by someone else. This definition emphasizes the importance of attraction and validation in romantic relationships and our desire to feel admired and appreciated. The definition of a cloud as a semi-transparent, ever-changing mass suspended in the atmosphere suggests its beauty and fluidity. It reminds us of the beautiful nature of life, and encourages us to appreciate the natural world and its interconnectedness.
In reply to Lindsay C

by Shaqoria Hay -
I like the way you kept it simple but also gave us what we needed. I have to agree that Mark did emphasizes the important of attraction and being love by the word choice and how he described being loved. For the second question I feel like you describe this one off what you thought which was amazing because when we look at cloud each person may see something different, characteristics of the clouds may change and vary.
In reply to First post

by Jenna Reca -
This definition of love is flawed because love needs to be given and reciprocated. In this definition it just has one person longing for the other to love them. The second definition is flawed because it does not accurately describe how the cloud is formed scientifically through condensation.
In reply to First post

by Shaqoria Hay -
1. Discuss Mark Twain's definition of love: "Love is the irresistible(impossible to refuse)desire to be irresistibly(too attractive) desired."
Inadequate
I say this because we all desire someone to love us. We also want. Our partners never refuse to love us the way that we want to be loved. We want our lover to see no one better than us in their eyes. I do feel like this is how Mark seen love in his eyes and how he wants to be loved. Also love can be viewed different by cultural and by person so we have to see it that way.
Flawed

Clouds can be seen differently in each individuals eye, the shape of clouds can change. Not one person may see the cloud the same. But it doesn’t let us know enough information on how clouds a formed so it is missing important information.
In reply to First post

by liel Mashiach -
Mark Twain's definition of love, "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired," captures an aspect of love focused on reciprocity and validation. However, it might be seen as overly romanticized or limited, as love encompasses a broad range of emotions, actions, and motivations beyond the desire for validation. A more comprehensive definition could include elements like empathy, compassion, commitment, and selflessness.

The definition of a cloud as "a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change" is generally accurate in describing the physical characteristics of clouds. However, it lacks specificity regarding the different types of clouds and their formation processes, which can vary significantly. A more detailed definition could incorporate distinctions between cloud types (e.g., cumulus, stratus, cirrus) and factors influencing cloud formation (e.g., temperature, humidity, air currents).
In reply to liel Mashiach

by Zion Kelly -
I completely agree with your outlook on the first question. Very well-written.
In reply to First post

by Bridgett Pittman -
1. In my opinion this definition of love is not entirely mistaken. It is human nature to want to be loved and give love. Most humans look for one person to show them an irresistible desire.
2. The definition provided for a cloud is overall correct, however they seem to gloss over the true purpose and creation of the cloud. Yes they change in shape and suspend above our heads, but they also are made up from water droplets and helps replenish the Earth with water by carrying rain across long distance. I feel like that is a very valuable piece of missing information.
In reply to First post

by Tiffany Jones -
Mark Twain's definition of love, "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired," captures a romantic notion of love focused on the reciprocal nature of desire. However, it may be overly simplistic and limited in scope. Love is a complex and multifaceted emotion that encompasses a broad range of experiences and expressions beyond mere desire.
A more comprehensive definition might acknowledge that love involves not only desire but also empathy, compassion, trust, and commitment. It extends beyond romantic attraction to encompass various forms of love, including familial love, platonic love, and altruistic love. Love often involves selflessness, sacrifice, and the willingness to prioritize the well-being of others. Furthermore, love can be both a feeling and an action, involving both emotional attachment and intentional behaviors that demonstrate care and affection. It evolves over time and can withstand challenges and obstacles, growing deeper and more resilient through shared experiences and mutual understanding. In summary, while Twain's definition highlights an aspect of love, it falls short of capturing its full complexity and richness. A more nuanced definition would recognize the diverse dimensions of love and its significance in human relationships and society. Regarding the definition of a cloud as "a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change," it provides a basic understanding of what a cloud is but lacks specificity and depth. A more precise definition might incorporate additional characteristics of clouds, such as their composition (made of water droplets or ice crystals), formation processes (e.g., through condensation or sublimation), and classification based on altitude and appearance (e.g., cirrus, cumulus, stratus). Furthermore, it could acknowledge the role of clouds in the Earth's climate system, including their impact on weather patterns, precipitation, and the Earth's energy balance. Understanding clouds is essential for meteorology, climate science, and environmental studies, as they play a crucial role in shaping Earth's climate and ecosystems. Overall, while the provided definition offers a basic description of clouds, a more comprehensive definition would encompass a broader range of characteristics and emphasize their significance in atmospheric science and beyond.
In reply to First post

by Zion Kelly -
1. Love is not only to be desired. That would mean love is a one-way feeling that is only received. Love can be something given even without accepting it.
2. I agree with the definition provided.
In reply to First post

by Danny Medoff -
Thank you for being you and thank you for the opportunity to share here. Thank you to everyone who has shared.

1. Who hasn't tried to define Love? I believe like there's arguments that Twain's definition is both inadequate and acceptable. Inadequate because I would want more evidence that there is a thing we call "Love" that exists, and one way to do that could be to show the physiological processes that occur when someone believes they have and or are in Love. I believe Twain's quote is also acceptable because I'd be willing to accept whatever evidence one could bring forth to prove the existence of Love, as it seems a more subjective than objective experience.

2. This is flawed and inadequate. As other's have stated, it's flawed because including a statement about water seems important in the definition of this type of cloud. And that leads to the inadequacy of the definition in that I've experienced the term cloud used in relation to computer stuff, as well as people using the word to help explain how they feel; i.e - My judgement was clouded, or I'm feeling cloudy with a chance of sunshine.
In reply to First post

by Crystal Soria -
Mark Twain's "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." gives the impression of wanting to be loved just to know that you can be loved. While I can understand why that's stated, I believe love is the opposite, love is how much you can love someone else with your own heart and intentions.
"A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." This definition of a cloud is very topical, it doesn't go into detail of what a cloud really is, and we could say the same about another object.
In reply to First post

by Kevin Hoyos -
1. I think Mark Twain's definition of love is quite witty. It implies a redundancy that is telling on what we mean by love. Since it is a term charged with so much meaning, a poetic definition is well-suited as a response to all the intellectuals who have tried to define it in more logical terms.

2. Here, there is more of a dictionary definition. Very textual, nothing poetic, straight to the point.
In reply to First post

by Marylin Abreu -
1. Mark Twain's definition of love is inadequate because it is only persuasive - it is attaching emotive. It is a limiting definition because it is also implying that love only occurs when it is requited.
2. The definition provided of cloud is one of many and can change depending on on the purpose/context of the word.
In reply to First post

by Saanvi Kundu -
1) Twain's definition is poetic and captures the idea of mutual desire, but it seems incomplete. Love encompasses more than just desire; it includes care, commitment, and connection. A more comprehensive definition might be: "Love is a profound and enduring emotional connection with someone, characterized by mutual care, respect, and desire."

2) To me, it doesn't quite capture the essence of a cloud. It's too focused on the physical properties and doesn't convey the beauty and wonder of clouds. A simpler and more relatable definition might be: "A cloud is a beautiful, shape shifting formation in the sky that can evoke emotions and inspire imagination."
In reply to First post

by ayesha saeed -
Love is irresistible desire but it is not only the one irresistible desire, it is one of the others desire which we desire

if cloud is changing shape so it could be more transparent or opaque, can change texture after merging.
In reply to First post

by Hudson Harper -
1. This definition of love provides a unique perception. A irresistible desire to be irresistibly desire is a craving to be sought after in my opinion. It could be something that goes into love (in his opinion) although i find it hard to classify this as a definition of love.
2. I would argue when he says "fleecy texture." Texture is something you can physical touch and feel. It also fails to describe how and when a cloud forms.
In reply to First post

by Shanetta Davis -
I think that love is no desired. I think you are desired by someone once you have their interested and that is how love is formed.
I think that the definition is self-explanatory. I think that it could be followed with how they are form if additional information is needed.
In reply to First post

by rylie smith -
1.) I find this definition of love to be flawed as I do not believe love is the desire to be irresistibly desired. Love can be towards many things, but not all things can desire someone. I can love a book, but the book cannot desire me. I can love a song, but this also cannot desire me.
2.) I think the definition of cloud is a bit inadequate because is not always large. Clouds can be many different sizes. Other than that though, I donʻt think the definition is wrong!
In reply to rylie smith

by Odile Segall -
Yes, I agree with your assessment of how love is defined by Mark Twain. I can love a rock and that rock will not or cannot love since it is an inanimate object. Another example is a musical band, I can love them and even though they are human, they won't or don't love me back.
In reply to First post

by Odile Segall -
"Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." To me, this definition of love implies that to love is alluring want or wish to be powerfully wanted. Intensity is the essence of this definition which is conveyed by Mark Twain effectively clever. However, when we think of love it can mean more than this and we don't necessarily need to be irresistibly desired to love. I think a better definition of love is: "Love is an intense affection towards anything."
"A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." This definition is missing the actual make up of the cloud which is condensed water vapor. I would revise it to: "A cloud is condensed water vapor that can shape shift in the atmosphere."
In reply to Odile Segall

by Fantasia Wiggins -
Odile, I definitely agree that love is an intense affection towards anything!
In reply to First post

by Shantel bullock -
Mark Twain's definition of love, "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired," captures the intense emotional longing for reciprocated affection and admiration. It delves into the unrelenting need to be cherished and sought after by another person, emphasizing the mutual, powerful nature of love.

As for the definition of a cloud, it is described as a large, semi-transparent mass with a fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere. The statement also emphasizes the dynamic and ever-changing nature of clouds, highlighting their continuous shift in shape and form as they drift through the sky.
In reply to Shantel bullock

by Fantasia Wiggins -
Shantel your response to the first definition was very poetic and insightful!
In reply to First post

by Christopher Harris -
1. Discuss Mark Twain’s definition of love: “Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.” Twain’s definition of love is inadequate only because it is subjective. Being irresistibly desired clearly has meaning to him. Still, to others, it may be the feeling of support received during a difficult time in one’s life or any number of other intentional acts that a person feels are meaningful.

2. Discuss this definition of a cloud: “A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change.” This definition describes a perspective that is obviously subjective. While I agree with aspects of the author’s description, such as its shape being subject to continual change, I would also add that its fleecy texture can appear tenuous, wispy as well as dark, and opaque.
In reply to First post

by Imy Thwesakpakde -

1. Mark Twain's​ definition​ of love is the basis of  love,  i would describe love as the intimacy, passion, and strong feelings that you have for another individual. It does not have to be just the individuals, but it can come in many forms.The definition of love vary from person​ to person. There is more to love than just the irresistible​ desire.

2. A cloud is a white mass that cover the atmosphere. Scientifically it is formed from the water cycle. But it literally can be described as a fluffy white mass floating up in sky and gives rain.

In reply to First post

by Fantasia Wiggins -
1. Love comes and is performed in many ways. Love doesn't always mean a person wants to be irresistibly desired. It could mean a person wants to be noticed or someone showing that they care.
2. All clouds aren't large, some are small. Some clouds are gray and are not semi-transparent.
In reply to First post

by Cecily Acevedo -

Let’s evaluate both definitions. 

Mark Twain's Definition of Love "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." This definition captures a dimension of love that emphasizes desire and mutual attraction. However, it may be seen as somewhat superficial or narrow, as it focuses mainly on the aspect of longing without addressing deeper elements of love, such as emotional connection, commitment, and care for another person’s well-being.

Improved Definition: "Love is a profound, multifaceted emotional bond characterized by affection, attachment, and a deep desire for the happiness and fulfillment of another person."

Definition of a Cloud "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." 

Evaluation: This definition offers a good starting point by describing a cloud’s physical characteristics and its dynamic nature. However, it doesn't capture the scientific aspects of clouds, like their formation, composition, or the role they play in the climate system. 

Improved Definition: “A cloud is a visible mass of condensed water vapor suspended in the atmosphere, which forms when moist air rises and cools, resulting in various shapes and types, including cumulus, stratus, and cirrus, which are influenced by atmospheric conditions."

I find Mark Twain’s definition of love intriguing because it succinctly captures the essence of desire. However, love is far broader and encompasses emotional support, trust, and connection, which are crucial in healthy relationships. For the definition of a cloud, while it describes what clouds look like, I believe it's essential to incorporate more scientific context to understand how they function and impact weather patterns. 

In reply to First post

by brionna kemp -

This definition of love is too narrow. Love is not a feeling able to be put into a controlled singular definition.

The definition of a cloud is understandable, not too much use or narrow and it is a fact 

In reply to First post

by James Locker -
1. love is super complex and the context needs to be given. this seems to be eros love.
2. this definition is good but is not complete.
In reply to First post

by vanessa Ur -
### Mark Twain's Definition of Love: "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
This captures the longing aspect of love but is too narrow. Love also includes care, commitment, and deep connection. A broader definition might be: "Love is a deep bond marked by affection, commitment, and mutual care."

### Definition of a Cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change."
This description is visually accurate but lacks scientific detail. A better definition could be: "A cloud is a mass of condensed water vapor or ice crystals in the atmosphere, varying in shape and density due to weather conditions."

These revised definitions aim to provide a clearer understanding of both concepts.
In reply to First post

by Atul Vishwakarma -
1. My assumption of given statement is that it assumes that we're talking about the love between opposite genders and separate from family. Even if that's the case it doesn't qualify for the definition of love because the other person may love you but it's also possible they may not desire you (Like friends). Second point is, even if they does desire to spend time with you or crave for your attention, it's most probable that it isn't irresistible.

2. The given definition doesn't qualify to define clouds and my basis for that is my thinking where it holds and fails. Like if you know the definition of clouds beforehand you might look at the sky and say hmm, the definition does match but wait a minute! What about the harmful gases released from the factory or pollutants in the atmosphere.
In reply to Atul Vishwakarma

by Dominique Vittorio -
I agree with your standpoint on mark Twain’s definition of love. Twain’s definition was very specific and does not define love over a broader horizon of relationships.
In reply to First post

by PATRICE WHITE -

This quote about love shouldn’t be taken as a formal definition but rather it is an expression of how Twain felt at the time. The definition of love is far too broad to fully explain in this limited capacity. 

The cloud definition is also flawed in that it leads one to believe that a cloud must fit this criteria, which is far from accurate or complete. 

In reply to First post

by Dominique Vittorio -
Love is more than just the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. Twain’s definition focuses primarily on the desire to be desired, rather than encompassing the broader aspects of love, such as care, respect, and deep emotional connection. A more encompassing definition of love might be: “Love is a profound emotional bond characterized by deep affection, care, and a desire for the well-being of another, often accompanied by a reciprocal yearning for connection and mutual understanding.”

This definition of a cloud is descriptive and visually evocative, capturing the physical appearance and dynamic nature of clouds. It emphasizes the cloud’s changing shape and fleecy texture, which are indeed common characteristics. However, the definition could be improved by including the scientific aspect of clouds, such as their composition and formation process. A more comprehensive definition might be: “A cloud is a visible mass of condensed water vapor or ice crystals suspended in the Earth’s atmosphere, typically appearing as a semi-transparent, fleecy formation whose shape continually changes due to wind and atmospheric conditions.” This revised definition includes both the physical appearance and the underlying science behind cloud formation.
In reply to First post

by Jamie Stewart -
The irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired is just that. Love is more complex and can consist of many feelings subjective to the person or people who are in love. Love often requires feelings of admiration, longing to be with someone, and a deep connection with another person on a level not accessible to others you do not love. The terms "irresistible" and "desire" have their own definitions that set them apart from the definition of Love. According to Oxford Languages, Irresistible means: (adj.) "too attractive and tempting to be resisted: or "too powerful or convincing to be resisted:" and Desire means: (n) "a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen" or (v) "strongly wish for or want (something):" To me, Twain's definition implies these forces cause or bring about Love, but it doesn't define Love.

In today's technological advancements, Cloud can also be a term used for describing data storage or transmission through an internet medium. The above is a description of what a cloud in the sky may look like. From a descriptive stance I think this is a decent definition.
In reply to Jamie Stewart

by Claire Bradley -
The drawback with Mark Twains definition of love is that it doesn't specify that he is talking purely about romantic love. Love also refers to the love that you have for a friend, or the love parents have for their family and their children. Which doesn't involve desire as part of that.

I think your point about cloud also referring to data storage a good one. That would appear to be a stipulative definition, and highlights that the term "cloud" needs to be made more precise.
In reply to First post

by Bernales Jai -
1. I strongly agree that love has so many definitions. But, for me, love is about considering their emotions, whenever you try to do things, you think them first if it'd be okay with them.
2. A cloud is a formation of waters from oceans that turns into gas.
In reply to First post

by Claire Bradley -
Discuss Mark Twain's definition of love: "Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." This is primarily a definition of romantic love. It is too narrow as it doesn't reflect the love someone has for a friend, or for their children.
Discuss this definition of a cloud: "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change." This definition is also too narrow as it doesn't reflect the manner in which clouds are formed.
In reply to First post

by Victoria Smith -
The problem with the cloud definition "A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change" is that no one can be certain what the actual texture of a cloud is, or that the texture actually is "fleecy" since a cloud is made up of water vapor, in addition to the fact that a cloud is suspended thousands of miles in the air. The only provable statements in this definition are that clouds are large, semi-transparent masses and that they are subject to continual change.
In reply to First post

by Marc Martins -

Mark Twain's definition is a selfish one where the person wants to be loved. A more appropriate one is "Treating others the way you want to be treated and vice versa".

A cloud is a mass of water droplets or ice crystals suspended in the atmospherewhose shape is subject to continual change.